1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fab tech 6'' front suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by dirty TaTer, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    dirty TaTer

dirty TaTer [OP] Ruts are the enemy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pasco Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 3rz taco
    Doorman OEM rear leaf packs, dynomax thrush glasspack, and cool milk crates in the back B)
    im thinking about purchaseing a fab tech 6inch front suspension lift for my 96 taco. I dont get a good feeling about cutting the cross members for there new ones to be bolted on. has anyone had any problems with fab tech lifts? Ive heard that fab tech has junk ball joints and that they are not meant for serious off roading.

2. May 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    lvlytaco

lvlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Allan
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Got Lip?
    6" procomp basic lift, alpine dbl din, 9" headrest screens, mb quart components, jl amp, yellow top battery, wet okole seat covers all around
    do 3" lift first and see if ur happy and if not then do a 6". it took me almost a year to decide which route to take cuz i didnt want to waste $$ doing both kits. by the way what do u mean by doing only fabtech front suspension

3. May 6, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    dirty TaTer

dirty TaTer [OP] Ruts are the enemy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Pasco Florida
    Vehicle:
    96 2.7 3rz taco
    Doorman OEM rear leaf packs, dynomax thrush glasspack, and cool milk crates in the back B)
    I already have a 6'' lift in the back because my stock springs snapped and i was planing on lifting it anyway so went ahead and got the lifted springs. now the truck looks like a cheese wedge and i know someone who has a totaled taco with fab tech 6'' lift

4. May 6, 2011 at 4:08 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    Subed.
    I'd like to see this truck if only rear is lifted. Pics please

5. May 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    Just by the way the new xmember that is put in is usually stronger than the OEM one :cool: well at least it is on the procomp set up.

If you plan on doing alot of offroading go for a 3in lift

6. May 14, 2011 at 8:03 AM
    My68ur8trd

My68ur8trd Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Williamsburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD OR Dcab 4x4
    URD Catback | TRD CAI | TRD S/C | APR X-1 | DTLT | APR 2.85" Pulley |Fabtech 6" | Icon C/O | Alcan Leafs | 33 Grabber AT2 | 17" XD Addicts

I helped a buddy install a Fabtech 6" kit a few weeks back on a 04

A few things I would do differently.

• order longer brake lines and you wont need to bend your stock hard lines, or move any brackets.
    • clearance the frame liberally on the drivers side rear cross member. The PS lines get really close.
    • Change the steering rack bushings to urethane ones while you are under there. We did the lift and his stock bushings were worn out. The rack would move about .75" left to right when you turned he wheels and it rubbed the PS return line on the new cross member and it eventually leaked.
    • If you can get access to a lift, do it, This is the first one i did on the floor of a garage ( I did mine on a lift). I wont do another one on the floor, it is 10x more difficult and tiring.
    All in all, its not that hard, but time consuming if you are using hand tools and rolling around on the floor. The new cross member is beefy and plenty strong. The kit is not really designed for hardcore wheeling ( rock crawling, etc) but for the average weekend warrior it will do just fine. The up travel was somewhat limited more than I thought it would be. If you are going to run the occasional trail, mud hole, or beach, it will hold up just fine.

good luck

Justin

Products Discussed in

To Top