1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Composite Bed Loading Features

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TryingTacoma, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    TryingTacoma

TryingTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 AccessCab 4X2 2.7L 4cyl Auto
    Engine Hour-Meter, Fumoto Oil Change Valve, Rear RideRite Helper Air Springs and Left/Right Pressure Guages.
    I was trying to find a clean way to load 4 X 8 sheets of plywood and drywall on my 2010 Tacoma and noticed there four recesses in the bed sidwalls.

It looks like they are provided to take 1" by 6" planks to provide a flat platform in combination with the tops of the wheel-wells that will easily accommodate 4' x 8' sheets.

Am I right? Does anyone know the load limits for this arrangement or where I can find the specs?

Thanks.

2. May 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    I think you are right. There are area's for some boards to be placed on either side of the box and then a 4 x 8 sheet will fit. I remember my dakota had the same thing and even refered to a diagram in the owners manual about it. Specs???? keep pushing them in untill the truck squats . The specs on yours is 1250 lbs i think??? for the box.
    If you are worried about the support boards try putting a block of something in the middle under them to help.
    Turn the key and Drive.

3. May 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Use 2x6

4. May 6, 2011 at 5:54 PM
    elwood

elwood "Really, how hard can it be?" Jeremy Clarkson

Member:
    First Name:
    Neal
    ont, canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 SR5 4x4 LB
    K/N cold air intake, leer cap, running boards, nose gaurd,E brake control, mud flap cut, suspension tsb, Rear diff breather mod,Factory Fog lights, Factory front diff cover
    And this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ thanks OZ

5. May 7, 2011 at 4:19 AM
    TryingTacoma

TryingTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Engine Hour-Meter, Fumoto Oil Change Valve, Rear RideRite Helper Air Springs and Left/Right Pressure Guages.
    Thanks for the replies. The bed itself seems really tough to start so with support boards under the middle it sounds like I have the solution. I already have helper springs so the truck rides level at max load which is about 850 lbs in back and the rest up front.

6. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:01 AM
    TryingTacoma

TryingTacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    Finally made use of the optional bed support rails to transport 4' x 8' sheets of drywall.
    They're great! 1" x 6" planks for the cross pieces with just a touch of edge removal dropped nicely into the slots.
    One caution: the crosspiece closest to the tailgate is far enough from the tail of the bed to leave a long overhang for a 4' x 8' sheet.
    I screwed 3 pcs of 2'' x 3" x 8' lumber to the cross pieces to provide full support to the sheets of drywall.
    Additionally, a long load will over-balance this support arrangement so it is necessary to hold down the front cross-piece. In my case I have a slide-in camper and was able to strap down to the camper tie-down bracket installed on the floor of the bed. This appealed to me as the bed d-rings are not quite as robust.
    Thanks again for all the previous info.

7. Sep 10, 2014 at 6:06 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    I had 2x6's that I notched so that the top would still be flush with the wheel wells. I seemed to have lost them when I looked recently, guess they didn't make the move with me. Worked great though. And there is room underneath for other materials, just make sure they wont slide out when you hit the throttle.

Products Discussed in

To Top