Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Alignment question after 3" lift (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/162859-alignment-question-after-3-lift.html)

thedude 06-19-2011 12:27 PM

Alignment question after 3" lift
 
I just got a 3" OME lift installed. I did not get aftermarket UCA's and the shop said it aligned just fine. Do these numbers check out? Thanks



thedude 06-19-2011 12:31 PM

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...g80/Before.jpg

http://i1003.photobucket.com/albums/...gg80/After.jpg

Before and After Alignment numbers

NelsonTacoma 06-19-2011 12:35 PM

They look acceptable. Caster isn't as important as camber & toe. As camber & toe being way off will wear your tires out and your truck will not track straight.

OZ-T 06-19-2011 01:04 PM

LR UCA's add 2* of caster at their neutral setting

This would help you a lot

Also , have you looked to see if your alignment shop flattened your aligmnent tabs to get you extra caster ?

thedude 06-19-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 3329538)
LR UCA's add 2* of caster at their neutral setting

This would help you a lot

Also , have you looked to see if your alignment shop flattened your aligmnent tabs to get you extra caster ?

No I didn't check, don't know where the alignment tabs are? Hmm I'll have to pay attention to the wander when I drive on the highway to see how bad it is. Besides the wander the tires should wear evenly with these specs correct? So if I can live with the wander - no after aftermarket UCA's needed? I just don't want to spend the $500 or so unless I really need to. Thanks for the help!

OZ-T 06-19-2011 02:00 PM

The alignment tabs are where the LCA attaches to the frame

kieth 06-19-2011 02:26 PM

just spend the money and get the light racing upper control arms. I put a 3 " ome lift in my double cab and it drove me nuts, it just felt so weird at highway speeds . the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you

thedude 06-20-2011 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 3329795)
just spend the money and get the light racing upper control arms. I put a 3 " ome lift in my double cab and it drove me nuts, it just felt so weird at highway speeds . the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you

Yes, I can tell it rides weird at hwy speeds. Feels like it's windy when there is no wind. I'm guessing I need another allignment when I get new UCA's installed?

The instal shop here isn't familier with aftermarket UCA's - they are pretty straightfoward to instal correct.

OZ-T 06-20-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedude (Post 3332805)
Yes, I can tell it rides weird at hwy speeds. Feels like it's windy when there is no wind. I'm guessing I need another allignment when I get new UCA's installed?

The instal shop here isn't familier with aftermarket UCA's - they are pretty straightfoward to instal correct.

Yes , another alignment .

The UCA replacement is a straight swap , the only hard part can be getting the long UCA bolt out .

thedude 06-20-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 (Post 3332866)
They look like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...liveLUUaAj.jpg

Make sure yours don't look like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...liveTmPEAP.jpg



To avoid the wandering, you'll need new UCAs that provide additional caster. UCAs are a simple R&R, disconnect from spindle and coil bucket, and install new one.

Thanks for the info/pics - I remember him saying the caster couldn't be adjusted so I don't think they did anything but I'll check. Well I've already spent my a$$ on lift/tires/wheels why stop now - LR UCA's it is :)

thedude 06-21-2011 11:48 AM

Hey guys, does 2.5 hours of labor ($160) seem like a fair price for instal on the LR UCA's? I don't have the tools/know how to do it myself.

thedude 06-21-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 (Post 3338893)
Seems high but if you don't have the tools you gotta pay the price I guess. All you need are a few sockets, a pair of channel locks, and a jack which your truck already has. Why not try and do it yourself?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...w-install.html

Seemed a little high to me too, I would be surprised if it took somebody who knew what they were doing 2.5 hours but who knows.

It does look simple - the problem is every time I start a simple mechanical task it turns into a whole day thing - I suck I may ask a few guys at work if they can lend a hand, a case of beer is a lot cheaper than $160!

Fabulous 06-21-2011 03:04 PM

I also did mine myself, and it wasn't that hard with hand tools and someone to help. I wish I could get something like that done here for $160...dealership/ places here quoted at least $500 Canadian. Told them F that and did it myself, just like my lift.

Zac808 06-21-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedude (Post 3329697)
I just don't want to spend the $500 or so unless I really need to.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kieth (Post 3329795)
the LR UCA's made it feel like a new front end, best 500 bucks i ever spent. and for any offroading your front suspension will thank you

I paid $400 shipped from fatbobsgarage a two weeks ago.

Fabulous 06-21-2011 03:09 PM

Indeed, me too. Fat Bobs is THE place to get Light Racing UCA's.

thedude 06-21-2011 04:05 PM

Thanks guys, I talked to the shop today, he quoted two hours to be safe, he's never done it before - he's a trustworthy guy and will only charge me an hour if that's what it takes. He installed my whole OME lift for $260.

Yeah dude if he said anywhere near $500 even if Canadian (isn't our currency close now) That would be a no go.

I'm sure I could do it if I had the time, but right now my time is more important than the money. Thanks for the help and I will give Fat Bobs a call!

YotaDan 06-21-2011 05:33 PM

Looks like all they did was set the toe. Camber could be better, and the caster is way too low.

JonnyBb 06-21-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fabulous (Post 3339553)
Indeed, me too. Fat Bobs is THE place to get Light Racing UCA's.

x2...mine should be here tomorrow

samsung 06-21-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 (Post 3332866)
They look like this:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...liveLUUaAj.jpg

Make sure yours don't look like this:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...liveTmPEAP.jpg



To avoid the wandering, you'll need new UCAs that provide additional caster. UCAs are a simple R&R, disconnect from spindle and coil bucket, and install new one.

come on maan it's not that easy, you forgot to tell him that you have to bend the inner fender to remove the long bolt in the passanger side.

JonnyBb 06-21-2011 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samsung (Post 3340501)
come on maan it's not that easy, you forgot to tell him that you have to bend the inner fender to remove the long bolt in the passanger side.

or you can cut the head of the bolt off.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:07 PM.