Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Fixing to order 5100's and OMEs what else? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/163133-fixing-order-5100s-omes-what-else.html)

Carito 06-20-2011 10:01 PM

Fixing to order 5100's and OMEs what else?

03 Prerunner V6 TRD. No extras added except stepup bars.

Ok, from everything I have read here I think I'm goona order the 5100's and the 881 OEM springs, leaving the 5100s stock height and a 2" AAL for the rear.

What else do I need? Do I need longer brake lines? New or different exhaust bracket? What about the shock replacement bushings? Also isnt there a kit you can get like with struts to change out the upper bearing assembly? Currently when I run over bumps it feels like something is loose, like the upper part of th assembly that bolts in in the engine bay has play in it and moves up and down a little. Maybe just me.

Also see on the toytec site that 881 gives about 2" of lift. Any thought on adding the 10mm enhancer plate to that for another .5 or so???

I just wanna order everything at once and not have any surprises when I go to install.

Thanks

Carito 06-21-2011 03:34 PM

no one?

WNYTACOMA 06-21-2011 04:36 PM

I reckon' that's one option, Pilgrim...

Seabass 06-21-2011 04:45 PM

Get the 885 springs for an almost exact 3" lift (especially if you're doing a 2" AAL). Also get a 1/4" top plate spacer for the driver's side to compensate for "taco lean" because OME springs are the exact same length/strength unlike stock springs which are stronger on the driver's side. I got the shock bushing kit just to be safe because mine was an 06 as well. Shouldn't need anything else, except for new UCAs so you can get your caster back into alignment. Might as well throw 5100s on the rear too.

Seabass 06-21-2011 04:45 PM

And leave your 5100s set at the bottom "0" setting.

Carito 06-21-2011 06:54 PM

Thanks, seabass. My truck is an 03 though. I must be confused. I thought when I looked there was an 881, 882, 883. Don't remember an 885. Won't that be too stiff since my truck has no winch etc?

I was also trying to avoid UCAs and thought if I stayed around 2.5" I wouldn't need them. Someone chime in on that please. kind don't have the money for them. Was looking at bilsteins all the way around.

Norton 06-21-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carito (Post 3340747)
Thanks, seabass. My truck is an 03 though. I must be confused. I thought when I looked there was an 881, 882, 883. Don't remember an 885. Won't that be too stiff since my truck has no winch etc?

I was also trying to avoid UCAs and thought if I stayed around 2.5" I wouldn't need them. Someone chime in on that please. kind don't have the money for them. Was looking at bilsteins all the way around.

You are not confused. 885s are for 2nd Gens. You should not need UCAs if you keep your lift under 3".

Many of us are quite happy with our OME 881 and Bilstein 5100 combo. The 2" AAL should serve you well, assuming your leafs aren't too far gone. Those of us with flat/frowning leafs opted for total replacement, since AALs would do nothing more than delay the inevitable.

Longer brake lines shouldn't be required. If your exhaust is stock, I believe you will need adjust it (either with a different bracket or by dumping it short). You'll also probably want to adjust your brake proportioning valve to compensate for the rear lift. I did not need any additional bushings when I upgraded to the 5100s. I'm not familiar with the strut/bearing kit to which you refer. I did not go with any additional spacers/plates for extra lift, and am VERY happy with my results.

Some potential complications to consider: The higher you go, the more likely you are to have CV and/or alignment problems requiring extra parts & expense to solve. Some of us have had to replace steering rack bushings to get good alignments, even without exceeding 2.5" of lift.

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you browse around, and use the search function, in the 1st Gen and here in the Suspension forums - LOTS of good info...

Carito 06-21-2011 11:29 PM

Thanks SRD for the info. Glad to know I dont have to fork out more money that I thought. Been looking at the proportioning valve also. I never knew about needing to adjust that. Got to read up some more though. Really have no idea how, only the why it needs to be done.

I do absolutely no offroading, so I think this will be a good start just just make it look better and since it's wearing out at getting close to 100k.