1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any pointers on the 5100's and leaf packs putting on 2morrow

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by DubVtundy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    like the title says im putting on bille 5100's at the 1.75 notch and alcan 8' leaf packs on the rear of my truck 2morrow pretty excited about it. just wondering if anyone knows of anything to watch out for or easy ways of doing this?

any help is greatly appreciated

2. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Iakopa84

Iakopa84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Off-Road
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    Nice man! Good luck! I'm hoping to get the Toytec Ultimate Lift soon and am planning on installing it myself too.

In using the 1.75 notch, are you replacing your UCA's or running stock?

3. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    exchange them for 5150s

other than that....soak all nuts, bolts, things you gotta unscrew with wd40 or something oof the sort multiple times before hand

4. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    8 inch alcan custom leaf packs, ome 885's powdercoated white, bilstein 5100's all the way around with 12 inch travel on the rear, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Sway bar removed, 17x9 kmc strike. 35x12.50 nitto Trail Grapplers. Satoshi Grill made by (homertaco), Black Headlight housings,retrofits, Tinted Tailights, color matched grill, Bought a TRD sport hood,elite off road front plate bumper,elite off road sliders, 13% tint on the front windows, 5% on top of the facotry rear windows and back glass, 5% tint stip across the windshield, Lo Pro Truxedo tonneu cover, Herculiner bed liner, Weather Tech Window Visors, Exhaust- Flowmaster Super 44 dumped above rear axle, Maglight Mount on side of drivers seat, Scangauge II, Mossy Oak Camo Seat Covers, Weather Tech Floor mats, Spatter painted A-Pillars, Spatter painted headunit trim and shifter trim, Headunit= Pioneer 4300 double din touch screen, Speakers- Precision Power 3 way component stage, Precision Power 8 i
    for the time being im just gonna run the stock uca's but here as soon as i get the money a set of total chaos or camburg will be going on hopefully

5. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    ya know after i ordered the 5100's which i bout all 4 for all the way around so the rears are extended lenght for the 8 inches of lift i started looking at the 5165's i think and i talked to downsouth motorsports yesterday and they said that the 5165's are really nice for our trucks

6. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Soak those threads with some kind of loosener tonite, you will be glad you did.

7. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    Iakopa84

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Aries Grille Guard, PIAA 520 xtreme ATP lights, K&N high-flow intake, 2.5" velocity front leveling kit
    What do the 5150's offer that make them a better choice than the 5100's for the rear suspension? Do they give more travel capability, or load handling vs. the 5100's?

8. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:25 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh, borrow an angle grinder with an emry wheel for steel, just in case a bolt doesn't come off. The top bolt on the stock rears can be a bitch.

9. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:33 PM
    DubVtundy

DubVtundy [OP] ERMAHGERD

Member:
    First Name:
    Thayer
    Keyser West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2010 white double cab
    alright thanks for all the pointers prolly gonna be a bitch 2morrow but it will be worth it 2 have 8' of lift :D

10. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    Iakopa84

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    8 inch lift!? :eek:

And I was just lookin' to get my truck leveled...

11. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:36 PM
    achirdo

achirdo I Weld!

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    06 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins
    travel and just a better quality shock imo

5150s go up to 14" of travel. and they have a small resi to keep them cooler

12. Aug 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    kingtaco

kingtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley
    Spray all the bolts with wd40 the night before. I sprayed mine three days in a row before I installed my all pro leafs this past weekend. I had no problems taking the bolts off.

13. Aug 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    WaGood24

WaGood24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Dayton, OH
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner TRD Sport
    Extang Full Tilt tonneau, VX Series Exhaust, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Stainless Nerf Bars, Bilstein 5100s all 4 corners, rear-leaf TSB
    I just swapped out the stock shocks for 5100s and I didn't have many problems getting the nuts off and mine was a 2010 too. But I did have some problems getting some of the nuts back on. The crown nut on the steering gave me problems on the passenger side. It would just sit and spin in the ball joint and we were struggling to find anything to hold on to to keep it in place. Then I had the bright idea to try switching the crown nuts from the driver side to the passanger side and it worked like a charm. Getting the shocks back in place was a bit of a pain too, just had to muscle it in a bit. But the backs are a piece of cake, they only took like 45 minutes, maybe an hour and we didn't even take the wheels off.

14. Aug 5, 2011 at 7:36 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    you shouldnt have any problems getting your bolts off.

my 97's bolts came off without needing wd40 or any pb.

my best advice... go over everything TWICE

Products Discussed in

To Top