1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Snapping, popping sound after lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bogg, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Nov 13, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    Bogg

Bogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    I know this question had come up many times, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I have checked all my bolts/nuts and everything is tight. I get a snapping popping sound at full lock turning left. Also, there is a mild vibration around 60km/h. I don't have a diff drop installed as many have stated it won't do anything for my 2nd gen. CV boots are fine, no tears or rips. But from what I've read it seems that this sound is pointing at the CVs. I have noticed that the sway bar end link bushings have been compromised. Could the mild vibes and snapping sound be due to the sway bar? There was a post about the LCA nuts being lose. Could they be causing this sound and vibe? I have taken my truck to a shop and they say my CV angles are fine, tie rods are fine. I don't have my alignment done yet as I am waiting to install tires first. Any info and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    What do you mean by compromised? Try removing the sway bar and see if it stops (way better ride by the way without it). Can you get under the truck and have someone turn the wheels so you can see where it's coming from? Could be your lower ball joints too!

3. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    Sunner

Sunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    My 93 Toyota Pickup does that same thing, never got mine checked out though so lets see what these fellas think it is, maybe Ill fix it too.

4. Nov 13, 2011 at 12:56 PM
    Bogg

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    When we were doing the lift, my buddy's dad was prying on the sway bar end links. One or perhaps more of the sway bar end links boots were squished and the grease flew out. I noticed on the undamaged ones the boots are ballooned up/filled with grease. The ones that were damaged are flat as a pancake. Just wondering if the sway bar could be the cause of my popping sound when I turn left? My truck has only 40,000km on it. I barely drive it except on weekends for the most part. And I haven't really taken it out wheeling as the stock tires suck and wanted to get armor on the truck first.

5. Nov 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    That's prob it. Just un-bolt it and drive a little and see if it's gone. You'll be fine leaving it hanging on the skid plate as long as your carefull. Or just unbolt the skid too and it'll slide right out! Those shocks/coils are a lot firmer than stock and will be fine without the sway bar!

6. Nov 13, 2011 at 1:13 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    You left this important detail out of the original post! :)

Those boots are fragile. I mangled one while installing my lift, too. Coincidentally the swaybar links go through their full misalignment range when you steer, so it's probably the culprit.

Don't bother unbolting the links. Either remove the swaybar completely off the truck or just drive as-is until you get new links. They are under $30 each at AutoPartsWay.Ca: http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList.../Suspension_Stabilizer_Bar_Link/pagenum1/tabS. Dealer parts counter will want $250 each. I got All-Pro heavy-duty ones:

7. Nov 13, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    Bogg

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks KenLyns and Sublime for your input. Just finished removing sway bar and went for a test drive. Knock on wood, there is not more snapping/knocking sounds when turning in either direction. Still have a bit of a vibe but I think that's due to the fact I don't have my alignment yet.

Sunner...if you are having the same issues I would recommend removing the sway bar. It fixed my issues anyways.

Thanks again guys for your your input and advice. It's people like you that make this site worth coming to :)

8. Nov 13, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Glad we could help buddy!

9. Nov 15, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    06SR5canada

06SR5canada Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan
    Vehicle:
    06 dblcab SR5
    2ndary air filter removed, flowmaster 40
    Lets also mention the sway bars are there for a reason
    Youll roll 100x easier without them in emergency manuevers

10. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Get the relocate kit for the sway bar, inexpensive and you get to keep the stability it provides.

11. Nov 15, 2011 at 9:20 AM
    GatorComa

GatorComa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    St. Augustine, FL
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD OR 4x4
    So you still have stock tires on your truck, then?

12. Nov 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    BlueSteel

BlueSteel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Grey Doublecab TRD Sport Debadged
    Camburg 4" Spindles, Icon CB 2.5 adjustables front and rear, Total Chaos Upper/Lower CAs, Alcan 5" Rear Leafs, Timbren Bumpstops, 5" SS Brakelines, 295/70/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on 18" KMC Monsters, Grill Craft Black Mesh Upper, Predator Running Boards, All Pro Rear Bumper and Hitch, Wet Okole Covers, Toyota Roof Rack, Limo Tint, TRD CAI, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Mats, Redline Hood Struts, Red Top Odyssey battery, BDF Light Bar, Foglight anytime Mod, Lo Pro QT Truxedo Tonneau cover, Rocky Mount Bike Pegs.
    I have had the same popping and clicking when turning coming from my driverside front for a while. I suspected it was my swaybar and was going to remove it, but never got around to it. I need to go ahead and do it now, just a little worried about how it will drive on the freeway. I have the Toytec Ultimate Kit and originally thought that I didn't tighten something down enough on the UCA or CO's.

Good Info!

13. Nov 15, 2011 at 6:29 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    The Icons come with the relocate plates and hardware. The OP had at least one sway bar link joint boot broken and the grease had leaked out, hence the noise.

As for the swaybar's necessity, the topic has been beaten to death. Swerving can cause a swaybar-less truck to rollover.

Hilux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI

Tacoma (skip to 0:50):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8el61-Nskd4

14. Nov 15, 2011 at 11:00 PM
    Sublime

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Thats with the soft stock suspension. There's no doubt the stiffer aftermarket suspension will help firm up turns and what not but a move like that should never be done in a truck anyways. You just have to change your driving habits and slow down before you do anything. If you spend 99% of your time on road and hardly take it offroad, keeping it on may be the best option.........however, its way smoother with it off!

15. Nov 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    tacoman15

tacoman15 Boobies

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Northeast Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD OR & 1985 SR5 4Runner
    sorry i couldn't help it but...that's what she said :D say you take your sway bar off and just so happen to roll your truck, will the insurance company tell me I am shit outta luck?

16. Nov 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge

17. Nov 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    KenLyns

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    ^ According to Pickuptrucks.Com, the world's second largest market for pickup trucks is Thailand. No doubt Toyota's focus group had a couple of ladyboys. :p

Unless you go with 800-lb/in springs (wholly unrealistic), aftermarket coils will not increase roll stiffness enough to offset swaybar removal. A long-travel setup that increase track by 8" plus stiffer springs, maybe. Unless you keep off the highway, leave the swaybar on.

It would be nice to have KDSS optional on the TRD OR, or at least a manual swaybar disconnect like the Wrangler Rubicon or Ram Power Wagon.

18. Nov 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    705 Taco

705 Taco Zombie Killer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Barrie ON / St. Petersburg FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD OR AC
    --Stock 2016. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2011 had 6 inch ProComp lift, Eibach coils on 5100 Bilsteins at zero, 1/4 inch Toytec spacer on drivers side, rear TSB, 1.5 inch Deaver AAL, ProComp blocks and rear shocks, 8000 lb Warn winch on a Trans4mer grill guard, 33 inch BFG AT's, 18x9 XD Monsters, PIAA headlights, PIAA driving lights, Pyro's blue LED gauges, LED strip below tailgate, Armor Lid hard tonno, Hidden Hitch, Dee Zee bed mat, Tint, XM, Garmin GPS, Ultra Gauge
    Ha Ha. I don't think even the ladyboys would drive that thing. If that's the future of Toyota trucks I won't be buying another Toyota. It makes the Honda Ridgeline look manly.

19. Nov 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM
    Bogg

Member:
    Surrey, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Yes...still have stock tires and rims on truck. Painted Sport rims about 2-3 weeks back now. Will have to get some new shoes soon as stock tires that came with truck are pure garbage! Still undecided on tires for now. Thinking Duratracs or KM2s. As for the sway, will prob end up getting some beefier end links from All Pro. So far without sway bar truck has a little bit more body roll in turns.

20. Nov 18, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    markmatters

markmatters Viejon

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Yuma, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    Not wanting to jack the thread, but I don't want to get yelled at for starting another thread. like OP, i searched and couldn't find a definite answer. I don't want to remove my sway bar and 'hide' the problem like other members have stated in other posts..here's what i've got: I installed bilstein 5100 with the 2.5 inch setting. It's made this popping sound..and i want to say i'm 75% sure it's coming from the spring...sounds like something is rubbing or there's too much pressure and it's letting go of some and just pops...the only time i notice this sound is when i back out from my driveway...turning the steering wheel all the way to the right...when i put it in drive, i start creeping forward and the wheels start straightening out...this is when this clunk/pop noise thing takes place...also, i notice a sound when i brake. Shop told me i need to brake pads and wondering if maybe the brake pads are moving? anyway, maybe this sound and the op's is related. thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top