1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

High Quality Lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by nighthawk87, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nov 23, 2008 at 1:53 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    All,

I noticed that lot of people on this forum will buy lift coils, shocks, block/AAL, and UCAs.

When I had my Dodge Ram 1500 and lifted it, I bought a Fabtech 6" lift and it was like $1600 or so. That lift was made to keep the factory geometry on the driveline components.

How come nobody does that with Tacomas? Don't just springs and blocks/ALL or shocks mess with the driveline angles?

Are there any really good lifts out there?

2. Nov 23, 2008 at 2:57 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'll bet that kit came with all the parts you needed to do the diff drop and shim the angles on the driveline.

The 3" set up from Toytec that Neubs will recommend to most folks comes in about 1200-1500 depending on exact parts and has a diff drop on the list.

I'm not sure about all the more expensive stuff...but I'm sure a full blown kit would have a diff drop included or recommended for installation.

As far as good lifts- it's been discussed ad nauseum- Camberg, Icon, Toytec, Fabtech, Skyjacker, ReadLift....the list goes on and on...and for as many kits as there are...there are more opinions.

3. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:01 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Unless it also dropped the tranny, transfercase, etc., it didnt keep factory driveline geometry. I prefer the 3" lift so as to keep the center of gravity low, while still allowing for good ground clearance. 6" lifts still drop the front diff's, and the only advantage to them as far as ground clearance is the tires are generally larger giveing a little more ground clearance. Same with the rear end. The rear axel is only as high off the ground as the tires allow.

4. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:09 PM
    TRDATER

TRDATER MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    ICONS FRT AND REARS BABY, HIDS, OFFROAD WITH SPORT HOOD. 285-70-17 M/TS
    I HAVE LIFTED A TON OF TRUCKS THIS WAS THE FIRST QUESTION I ASKED WHEN I BOUGHT MY TACOMA , I HAVE 2 SILVERADOS LIFTED 6 AND SEVEN INCHES, AND JUST SOLD MY CHEROKEE THAT WAS LIFTED 9 INCHES ( big mistake ) BECAUSE I FEEL JEEPS BAR FAR ARE THE MOST VERSITLE OFFROAD VEHICLES. MY FIRST INTENTION WAS TO GO 6 INCHES BUT SQUIRMED WHEN I FOUND OUT I WOULD HAVE TO CUT OUT THE MAIN FRAME CROSSMEMBER, I OPTED FOR ICONS FRONT AND REAR AND AM WORKING MY WAY INTO HACKING THE TRUCK UP. MY TRUCK IS AT 3.5 INCHES FT. , 3 BACK AND TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH VISIBLY NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE FROM 6 INCH. I REALIZE LACKING A V-8 OR TORQUE MONSTER 4.0 REGEARING WOULD BE NECESSARY WITH THE TACOMA. PLUS MOST PEOPLE DONT WANT TO SHELL OUT 1500 - 2000 GRAND LET ALONE THE FULL DAYS WORK TO PUT IT ON PLUS I LIKE THE RIDE AND EASE OF ENTRY AND EXIT ON MY TACOMA AT ITS HEIGHT. FEEL FREE TO CK IT OUT,

5. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:10 PM
    TRDATER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    ICONS FRT AND REARS BABY, HIDS, OFFROAD WITH SPORT HOOD. 285-70-17 M/TS
  6. Nov 23, 2008 at 3:11 PM
    TRDATER

Member: