1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spacers with 3" lift kit

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by kubo, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Feb 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM
    kubo

kubo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    So I just bought a 3" toytec lift kit with the 2" aal and 5160 bilstein shocks: I am fairly mechanically inclined and the install seems like it would be pretty straight forward... so I am thinking about doing it myself. But to be honest, I haven't a clue as to what I am getting myself into.

I have a 2005 Tacoma, 4 door, DC, Long bed, Prerunner SR5 (non TRD).
    It currently has a non-TSB 3 leaf pack and 2" front spacers and a 1.5" rear leveling block. The rear shocks are completely blown and bottom out on everything, and I mean everything (hence the purchase). I usually drive this about every other day or so to work and around town, but I usually take this out on bumpy fire roads every other weekend with about 200-300 lbs of potential cargo in the back. Stock front bumper but I do have a brush gaurd up there.

Sorry if these questions sound dumb or if they've been asked before, I've been lurking for a couple weeks and I couldn't exactly find what I've been looking for.

Is it a common thing to install the coilovers on the 2" spacer that's currently on it? Would this extra height damage anything or possibly limit my travel?

Also, is it common to use the 1.5" rear level block with the 2" AALs? And can I use this with the 5160s?

Thanks everyone

2. Feb 13, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    kubo

kubo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    So after doing some searching it seems I can run into an issue with damaging my front shock for up front... it will "stop" with the force on the shock and not on the bumpstops.
    Does this sound about right for the 5100s?

Does anyone have any suggestions or links for bringing the bumpstops?

3. Feb 14, 2012 at 6:34 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You should remove all the components of the old lift before installing this one. No combination of front lifts you use should yield you over 3" or you'll have big problems with ride quality and/or ball joints.

You won't need to worry about bottoming out your shock with the 5100's. The stock bump stops will suffice. It's only when using a large top plate spacer do you have to worry about that.

4. Feb 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM
    kubo

kubo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5 Prerunner
    Thank you, that makes sence.
    Do you think I should toss my rear leveling blocks as well?
    I imagine the kit would make the truck level. Is it ever desired to have the rear slightly higher, like it is stock?

5. Feb 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would ditch the block for the add a leaf.
    It's all up to personal preference on the rear height.

Products Discussed in

To Top