Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!! (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/220407-my-truck-bed-looks-out-alignment-help.html)

Taco227 05-17-2012 06:55 PM

MY TRUCK BED LOOKS OUT OF ALIGNMENT, HELP!!

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everybody,

Ever since I installed an AAL on my truck, the truck bed looks out of align. The measurements taken from the cab to the bed is different on both sides of the truck. Also, I have about 2 inches less lift on the left side of the truck than on the right measuring from the ground to the inside wheel well. My truck pulls to the right a little bit. No vibration on the steering wheel. Tires are wearing evenly. Any suggestions? The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean? Anyway, does any one else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

I am about to just take the aal out and inspect the springs. The rear leaves are about shot in this truck. Please help!

Sublime 05-17-2012 06:57 PM

Loosen the bed bolts and you can slide it around! Be careful nt to strip the trox bits cause mine where rusted in! Think its #55!

Blueanimal 05-17-2012 06:59 PM

As for the bed you should be able to loosen the bolt in the bed and shift it a hair. I don't think you can move it much but it might be enough to fix the bed. As for the other stuff hopefully someone else will chime in.

Blueanimal 05-17-2012 07:00 PM

Nvm. I got beat to the punch.

Chickenmunga 05-17-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103820)
The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean?

Welcome to the Tacoma Lean.
+1 to the dealer for actually knowing his stuff.

the lean is because all heavy items are on the driver side - gas tank, battery, primary occupant... plus the rear springs are historically weak.

DrewH 05-17-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103820)
Hey everybody,

Ever since I installed an AAL on my truck, the truck bed looks out of align. The measurements taken from the cab to the bed is different on both sides of the truck. Also, I have about 2 inches less lift on the left side of the truck than on the right measuring from the ground to the inside wheel well. My truck pulls to the right a little bit. No vibration on the steering wheel. Tires are wearing evenly. Any suggestions? The dealership said all of the tacomas have a driver side lean. That sounds ridiculous...why would Toyota sell a truck with a driver side lean? Anyway, does any one else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?

I am about to just take the aal out and inspect the springs. The rear leaves are about shot in this truck. Please help!

A 2 inch difference isn't right... are your add-a-leafs the same?

OZ-T 05-17-2012 07:04 PM

Welcome

Toyota springs = crap

OZ-T 05-17-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewH (Post 5103865)
A 2 inch difference isn't right... are your add-a-leafs the same?

True dat

Taco227 05-17-2012 07:09 PM

yea the springs suck! I was hauling 2 yards of mulch the other day and I was very close to the bump stops. As for moving the bed around...I don't think that would fix the ride height difference? And yes the add a leafs are the same. Should I go ahead and take them apart? My dad was driving behind me the other day and said it looks like my truck was doggy walking to the right a little... It's very noticeable when looking at the back of the truck.

OZ-T 05-17-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103908)
yea the springs suck! I was hauling 2 yards of mulch the other day and I was very close to the bump stops. As for moving the bed around...I don't think that would fix the ride height difference? And yes the add a leafs are the same. Should I go ahead and take them apart? My dad was driving behind me the other day and said it looks like my truck was doggy walking to the right a little... It's very noticeable when looking at the back of the truck.

Have you checked to make sure you don't have a broken leaf on the low side ?

DrewH 05-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103908)

There is definitely something not right..... ever in an accident? Take some pics of both sides if you can.

Sublime 05-17-2012 07:15 PM

Ya, broken leaf or you def need a new leaf pack! Moving the bed helped me with about 3/4" forward as I was rubbing at full stuff but it worked!

You def have a bigger issue going on though!

Taco227 05-17-2012 07:16 PM

The leaf doesn't look broken. I can post more pics tomorrow when I have some light. Truck has never been in an accident. I feel like its been like this since the lift has been installed.

Taco227 05-17-2012 07:18 PM

Now that I think about it....having a broken leaf could be the problem. I have no noises coming from the springs though. Hang on...I'm going outside to check. :/

DrewH 05-17-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103960)
The leaf doesn't look broken. I can post more pics tomorrow when I have some light. Truck has never been in an accident. I feel like its been like this since the lift has been installed.

It's just the rear, right?

Taco227 05-17-2012 07:19 PM

Yea, just the rear left is lower than the right.

jandrews 05-17-2012 07:19 PM

Beds on these trucks have a tolerance. Them being off some from side to side isn't uncommon.

OZ-T 05-17-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco227 (Post 5103973)
Now that I think about it....having a broken leaf could be the problem. I have no noises coming from the springs though. Hang on...I'm going outside to check. :/

The leaf can be broken between the U bolts , so it is hard to see

Taco227 05-17-2012 07:29 PM

Leafs aren't broken. I have looked at each side about 50 times trying to compare them haha

OZ-T 05-17-2012 07:30 PM

What do you have up front for lift ?