1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Firestone Air Bags and 1 inch Block

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Equara11, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM
    Equara11

Equara11 [OP] Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    OME 885x front coils with OME shocks, Driver side coil Trim Packer, 10mm top plate spacers, Light Racing UCA's, 1 inch differential drop, swaybar relocate hardware, carrier bearing drop, rear Bilstein 5100 shocks with 1.5 inch block, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, front windows tinted.
    I'm having a difficult time finding an answer to my question......so here it goes..........
    My 2011 double cab TRD Off Road is running 1 inch blocks with the stock rear springs and OME shocks. I prefer not to remove the blocks. Does anyone know if the Firestone air bags will fit with my current set-up?
    Any advice will be appreciated.

2. Jun 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    They should fit, but you will need to make a custom bracket to help support the bottom of the air bag since the 1" block is going to give up a gap between the axle housing and the support bracket that comes with the air bags.

3. Jun 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    Equara11

Equara11 [OP] Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    OME 885x front coils with OME shocks, Driver side coil Trim Packer, 10mm top plate spacers, Light Racing UCA's, 1 inch differential drop, swaybar relocate hardware, carrier bearing drop, rear Bilstein 5100 shocks with 1.5 inch block, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, front windows tinted.
    I realize that the frame and the leaf springs raise as a unit when the rear is lifted with the block, so technically there should not be a problem. I'm just still thinking that the gap between the top of the axle housing and the spot where the air bag bracket gets installed on the frame, will be or looks too small to accommodate the actual bag. Hence, the custom bracket you mention? Would you happen to have a photo you can share of the bracket work you did for your 1.5 inch lift? Or, perhaps clarify further for me to figure it out if I am wrong in my thinking. Thanks!

4. Jun 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    wouldn't it be easier to replace the 1" blocks with 1" lift shackles therefore removing the complication of getting the air bag mounts to work with the block?

5. Jun 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    Equara11

Equara11 [OP] Member

Member:
    San Jose, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 Dbl. Cab V6
    The shackles were a thought, but I think I still need more load support. The stock springs, as you know, sag way too much. And I do like the versatility of the air option. I have friends using air bags on all different type trucks and they love 'em. I'll probably just purchase them and see what happens. I could always return them if they don't work out.

6. Mar 27, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    SimpleTaco

SimpleTaco Member

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    V6 4x4 Woddy
    K&N 3 inch and 285's to come
    Any updates? I Already have air springs and want to raise the rear a bit more. Dont want an AAl and cant justify a new leaf pack because I got the air springs.

7. Jul 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    09 taco mark

09 taco mark bc 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    mark
    squamish bc
    Vehicle:
    09 trd sport leather
    3" lift, K+N intake, magnaflow exhaust, 32" rubber, ride right bags, spidertraxx spaces, 6" HID off road lights, pro comp rpd light bar, rs9000xl coilover, skyjacker 1.5 travel hydro7000 rear, 1" rear block kit
    I have an 09 trd dbl cab sport. My airbags are awsome but I also want the 1" block. One thing I know for sure is that you do need extended travel shock or you will top out your oem shock (bad news). I'm going to try out skyjacker. My block and ubolt kit and shocks come in on friday so after this weekend ill let you know how she runs. Fyi I love my air bags and I do daily commuter and mid level off-roading.

Products Discussed in

To Top