1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are the Shocks the same?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TheWeatherman, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM
    TheWeatherman

TheWeatherman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I can't get a definitive answer and when you look at the other threads it goes into a talk about springs and sway bars sometimes.

I would like to know if the TRD Sport shock absorbers that are bilsteins, the same as the TRD Off-Road shock absorbers that are bilsteins?

How do you know one way or the other?

Same parts number?

On toyota.com it says sports tuned and off-road tuned but that could just mean they have different springs.

UPDATE:
    I talked to both Toyota Customer service, Bilstein Customer service, a parts guy, an accessories guy, a sales person, and then a Toyota Mechanic. The Toyota Customer Service and the Bilstein customer service said the same thing that they were different shocks and tuned differently for Toyota's needs. No specifics I asked how they got that info and then they just said they looked it up in their data base.

Now if you talk to a Toyota Mechanic about the shock absorbers and the differences between the suspension this is what you get. He says that the reason that customer service tells you they are different is because they don't know any better and they are just looking at broad info not working with the parts. The TRD Sport Package and the Off-Road Package have the same shock absorbers, it when you get to the other parts that make up the different part of the "ride". They have different part numbers because they are two different truck models but they are the same shock.

The Off-Road and Sport have different springs, especially the rear springs.
    When you go in to get your TSB taken care of for the rough ride, you get the Off-Road springs installed.

So in closing from a Toyota Mechanic, which I would take their word over customer service word (all they did was go through the toyota.com info and say "tuned" as well as the bilstien customer service (who said he was making a educated guess but didn't really know because he does aftermarket and sports not OEM), that the Shocks are the same and the springs are different.

2. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    TACO626

TACO626 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Montclair, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma 2.7
    They are different, the Sports are yellow.

3. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I want to get a set for my SR5 Tacoma. I have a friend that has a sport and I really like how it rides and some guys have a set that came of a TRD Off-Road and I would like to know if they are the same.

4. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:32 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Bishop2Queens6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    Although the strut is the same between a TRD sport and TRD off road, the spring is different. I believe the TRD off road spring is a progressive spring meaning as the spring cycling quickens, the spring gets stiffer, while the spring in a TRD sport and SR5 are the same.

5. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I hear about the 5100 and how people love them but I haven't felt those.

6. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:34 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I hear this and then I hear they aren't the same.

Wish the toyota dealer was more helpful because they didn't' know when I called them earlier today as well.

7. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:35 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    How do we know this is correct?

8. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Oh and for the record, my buddies sport has yellow and blue bilstein shocks as well. I just don't know if they are made differently.

9. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I will call them. That is a good idea. I don't' want to have other guys do the leg work, I just ran out of ideas, and that one is a good idea.

10. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 700# springs Front Shocks JBA UCA's Wheeler's Offroad Superbump Front Bump Stops Icon 2.5 RR/w CDCV 4"+ Rear Shocks AllPro Expo Rear Leaf Pack Timbren Rear Bump Stops ARB Front Bumper @Shmellmopwho Rock Sliders w/ Kickout RCI Aluminum Front Skid Plate Prinsu Roof Rack Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover CBI Ditch Light Brackets Cali-Raised LED Ditch Lights Cali-Raised Amber Fogs Cali-Raised Flush Mount LED Pods
    I know this from memory and I can't find the source.

For now until you find out you can take my word that the struts are the same, but the springs are different. Sports have linear springs, off roads have progressive springs.

Edit: Did some internet searching and found this info:

the SR5 and TRD SPORT tacos have the 7 coil linear rate springs. the TRD OFFROAD trucks have the 9 coil progressive springs. easiets way to tell, the offroad coils are wound closer at the top and have a brown plastic sleeve on the coil.

no product number from what i am aware of...just funny colored stripes that no one really knows what they mean anyways!

11. Jul 19, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Im not trying to be a punk, just find a definitive answer. If you find the source some time I would like to see it. I am going to try and call bilstein tomorrow and I will let you guys know.

12. Jul 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    Bishop2Queens6

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB SR5 4x4
    Cool. Learn something new everyday

13. Jul 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    I added an update to the original post. I called Toyota and Bilstein. I was told that they are not the same shocks, came from both companies. They are valved differently.

14. Jul 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Glad you asked!!!!! I am updating the info because I got a hold of a Toyota Mechanic and got the info that was needed to weed out all the other crap that was told to me.

See first post.

15. Jul 20, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Check out the first post, I jumped the gun because I got two of the same answers and assumed that the last one was going to be the same but the Mechanic had better info and works with the systems instead of "reading off of the database"

16. Jul 20, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    TheWeatherman

Member:
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Pro
    Yes you can say they are correct. I apologize.

It is hard when you get some many different answers and don't' know what is what. Story of being new to a different vehicle than a subaru.

17. Jul 22, 2012 at 6:33 AM
    glenn27

glenn27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD package/Xtend cab
    First time post in this section and just looking for some info--
    :confused:
    I have a '02 Tacoma SR5 with the TRD package--and will soon need to replace shocks, when I replace the tires. Why do you HAVE to use the Bilstein's?

I know that I have read they are 'tuned"
    foer that specific truck, but really--Rancho's and Monro's have been around for years..

Not trying to stir anything up--just looking for honest answers--not at over $100 apiece...
    Tks for any advice..

glenn

Products Discussed in

To Top