1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ToyTec Ultimate lift kit: thoughts / opinions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by whiskey19, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:54 PM
    whiskey19

whiskey19 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TX Pro
    Ok Tacoma experts, I am brand new to this forum and in the process of starting a build on my 2012 Tacoma TX Pro. After some serious shopping around and research, I'm 99% set on the Ultimate kit from ToyTec (see link).

I just have a few questions.

1. Anyone familiar with this kit, and is it a quality product?

2. I would like to keep the stock wheels (TRD beadlock) and tires (265/70R16) but I'm not sure how it will look (anyone have any thoughts or pics)?

3. Can I keep factory UCA's or will I need aftermarket?

and finally, does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Whiskey

[​IMG]

2. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    I love my ultimate lift kit. Set the coilovers at less than 3 and you will not need ucas. I have mine at around 3" up front and I wander a little bit at high speeds, but nothing that you actually need. You can run those wheels, I have the same ones. Tire size is just up to you, those would look a little small IMO. Good luck man! :thumbsup:

3. Jul 27, 2012 at 6:58 PM
    bill-e-boy

bill-e-boy new and improved

Member:
    First Name:
    billy
    florence
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab lifted pre-Runner
    added factory roof rack, factory skid plate, removed cheesy running boards, built a pvc bike rack, added interior floor lighting, added decal plate under rear window, added sylvania silverstars, installed toytec ultimate 3" lift, added hella optilux yellow fog lights, added orange park lights to the turn signals, new 265/75/16 goodyear duratracs tires and raceline rockcrusher 16" wheels
    fyi...i have a toytec ultimate lift on my 2004...very pleased, easy install, kept stock tire, wheel, stock uca's....no problems with my lift on a 2004.

KiteGuam likes this.
  4. Jul 28, 2012 at 4:32 AM
    Mytaco09

Mytaco09 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, billet grill, Toytec ULK on the front with AllPro Expos bringing up the rear, a work in progress

Hi, I'm actually just in the process of installing my Toytec Ultimate kit. Got the drivers in last weekend and hopefully doing the passenger this weekend. You wouldn't happen to know your measurement from hub center to the bottom inside of your fender flare would you? On that drivers side that is installed about 4.25" of lift as they came from Toytec if my initial measurements were correct and would just like to compare with yours because 3" of front lift is my goal to hopefully balance out the 4" of lift I will supposedly get in the rear when it is unloaded with the AllPro expedition leaf spring i have. I'm hoping to get it all installed and drive around for a bit to see how much it all settles in and then adjust the front coils as need and then get it aligned. I also bought the Desert Products UCA's that Down South Motorsports sells so alignment should go smooth.

Thanks, Steve

5. Jul 28, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    RockyMtnTRD

RockyMtnTRD Wanderlust.

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD OR
    hack job
    If you installed the toytec coilovers how they came they are at 2.5 of front lift, so if you install the expo springs (4" lift), you will not sit level because there is about a 1" rake (rear higher) stock. You may need to adjust the coilovers about 1/4" - 1/2" to level it out. That shouldn't be a problem if you have ucas.

6. Jul 29, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    Mytaco09

Mytaco09 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, billet grill, Toytec ULK on the front with AllPro Expos bringing up the rear, a work in progress
    Ya I will play with the amount of front lift when everything is back on the ground. I personally don't mind a little rake and with the rear leaves that I bought it will be raked somewhat when the bed is unloaded regardless. I have a small truck camper so I need the extra capacity of the Expo's.

Having a couple new problems though. Allpro didin't give me the metal sleeves that go between the poly bushings and the bolts for the leaf packs. Calling them monday morning but will be waiting a while so I cut some DOM tubing(1/2" inside, 3/4" outside and made some sleeves for a temporary fix, just have to go pick up some 1/2"x5" grade 8 bolts tomorrow.

And now just came inside to look at pics of the Toytec Ulimate coilovers online to see have they should really look. I was just adjusting the final height after installing the passenger side only to realize that somehow whoever assembled these things at Toytec set them up wrong. From what I can tell the coilover on the drivers side is right but on the one I put on the passenger side set wrong with respect to the spring cup clip position on the Bilstein shock. On the drivers side one I can see 2 of the spring clip grooves above the threaded collar and very little shock body out the bottom. Whereas on the passenger side one I can see almost the entire Bilstein sticker on the bottem of the shock body and no spring clip grooves on the top.

So now because Allpro didn't include those sleeves I have to go buy 4 grade 8 bolts and spend time making new sleeves and then re-do it all when I get the proper stuff. And because Toytec set up my one coil wrong I have to uninstall it and take it to someone with a proper spring compressor and pay them to take ot apart and fix it. FML, I wanted this all done today.

I guess instead of just bitching I should ask a question. I have the threaded collar on the coilover on the drivers side dialed all the way down to the bottom and still have a full 3.5" of lift. I actually have suspension flex now, there was none when i started cause it was so stiff with all the pre-load. I know the passenger side one is set wrong and I assume the drivers side is right but still have lots of lift with no more agjustment. Can someone that has these Ulimate coilovers take a look at theirs and tell me how many of those spring cup clip position grooves can you see above your threaded collar? I know there are 4 in total and I assume these are set on the lowest one. I can see 2 sticking out the top and if someone else can see 3 then maybe evne that one is set up wrong and on the second one from the bottom and that is why so much lift with no more adjustment. Wouldn't even have occured for me to ask if my other one wasn't set on the top one.

Thanks

7. Aug 23, 2012 at 9:11 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    3" Toytec Ulitmate Lift 285/70 Wrangler Duracturs 17" American Racing wheels TRD SUPERCHARGER!!! :) TRD Catback to come . . .
    I installed the ultimate lift on my 2012 TRD and everything was great! Love the suspension, had the 885 OME, 3" spacer lift on my 2008, and what an awesome difference this lift is :) But . . . after a few weeks, I noticed that my driver side front seemed low, measured it from center of hub to bottom of fender, and it was 22 1/2", front right measured 23". Called Toytech to see what the deal was. With a full 3" in the front, it will meausre 23". Took my truck back in and had them crank the left side up, it still measures 22 1/2", no joke!! Anyone have this problem? Or any comments? Toytech says just crank up the left side even more!

8. Aug 23, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    jmast

jmast Is it June yet

Member:
    First Name:
    O.I.C.
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TRD SPORT
    Taz mudflaps
    sub'd

9. Aug 24, 2012 at 3:58 AM
    Mytaco09

Mytaco09 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:

Ya I think that is just the way it is because just like stock the Tacoma tends to sit a little lower on the drivers side; I think mainly because the truck is a little heavier on the drivers side. If you read above i just put mine in and got all my issues resolved just waiting a couple weeks to let the springs settle in and them I'll get it aligned. After that I'll pay attention to my front measurements and if they settle further then I'll just dial them back up to maintain the alignment. The nice thing about these coliovers is they are adjustable so it is possible to tinker with them like this. If you want I can go out in the daylight and measure the difference in the amount of threads showing on the bottom of the adjustable coilover section to put your mind at ease that we are similarly set-up. The other option if you want your coilovers to be dialed to a more similar position(because I guess the argument could be made that the drivers side will have more pre-load and therefore have a slightly stiffer feel(maybe??)) would be to order that 1/4" top plate spacer that Toytec sells to correct the "Taco Lean". A 1/4' spacer should yield around 1/2" of lift and the bolts on the top of the coilovers are plenty long add that thin spacer in. I thought about doing it myself but will probably not bother after driving the truck a little and seeing that everything is good.

If you have a good shop your dealing with then by all means go back to them to have it adjusted but it is surprisingly easy to adjust the coilovers with the provided spanner wrenches. Spray WD-40 of something similar to lubricate the threads slighly and let the suspension hang to relieve the tension as much as posible.

Let me know if you want those measuremnets of my threads from both sides and good luck.

10. Aug 24, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    3" Toytec Ulitmate Lift 285/70 Wrangler Duracturs 17" American Racing wheels TRD SUPERCHARGER!!! :) TRD Catback to come . . .
    Hey, yeah if you wouldnt mind, I like to see where your sitting. Just seems off to have such a difference, still. Even though I've already adjusted the left side. I'll get that taken care of soon. Thanks!

11. Aug 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    krob32

krob32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Sierra Vista, AZ / Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    WeatherTec Digi Liners, AVS Bugflector II, TRD FJ SE Anthracite Rims, BF Goodrich AT KO2 265/75/16, AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors, Extang Solid Fold, Pop & Lock, Color Match Grill Emblem (Anthracite), Plasti Dip Emblems, Tacoma Bed Mat, Tacoma Door Sill Protectors, ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, ICON UCAs, Wheeler's Progressive AAL, Wet Okoles, Sockmonkey 3rd Brake Light Cover, LED Hood/Bed Lighting w/ OTRATTW Switches, Famous Fabrication Sliders, Sockmonkey TRD Bed Decal, Proven Design 4x4 Mudflaps, BenWA's Rear Power Sliding Window, Jasper Off Road 6" Reverse LED Pod, ImMrYo Rear View Mirror Bracket, GrillCraft w/ Black Mesh and color matched Land Cruiser Emblem, LED Tail Lights, Badge Removal and Vinyl TRD/Tacoma Stickers, Bullaculla Trailer Harness Relocation.
    Just got ULK installed and alignment complete. Front is a bit high, but will wait to let it settle. Put on ICON UCAs. Probably didn't need to yet since I am under 2.5 inches, but had the funds at the moment and may not later if I want to go higher. Buy once, cry once. Within minutes of driving I noticed a big difference in the ride. Best description is stiffer, but only to the point of smoother. Glad I made the choice. I'll post pics asap.

12. Aug 27, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    Mytaco09

Mytaco09 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Vehicle:

Hi and sorry this took me a little longer to get to than promised and finally sunday I had the day to spend doing stuff on the truck. I got under there with a tape measure and a camera to let you see where I was at. I go for an alignment on tuesday and will confirm the finally height monday night and dial it in accordingly; I'm shooting for 3" and when I set it last week it was around 3 1/8-1/4" and just wanted to see if it would settle a little so these pics reflect that amount of lift as of a week and half ago so should be similar to yours. As you can see they are significantly different but no seat of the pants difference so no biggy but looking at it again it does kinda make me want to order that 1/4" top plate spacer for the drivers side; it should be included in the kit actually just so people like us don't stress this situation. Good thing though is that it does handle and ride quite nice.

So as long as the pics post in the order I intend the first pic(the one showing more thread) is the drivers side and shows just under and 1.5" and the other is the passenger and shows just under 0.75" of thread. Sorry the flash washed out the tape measure a little but you get the idea. Hope that helps.

CIMG0636.jpg
    CIMG0638.jpg

13. Aug 27, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    FarmBoyTaco

FarmBoyTaco Work Hard, Stay Humble

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    California
    Vehicle:
    '12 TRD Off-Road DCSB MGM
    I've heard people recommend this:
    [​IMG]

14. Aug 27, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    Yeah thanks, pics helped out!

I'll look into this, thanks. Taking it back to the shop and going to try and crank it up again. See how that goes.

15. Aug 27, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I've heard nothing but good reviews on toytecs ULK so your going to get a quality lift that you will def be happy with! Most of us are going to advise you to go with aftermarket UCA's especially if your going to be doing any off-roading. I'd say keep your current wheels and just lace them up with bigger tires. I love the TX wheels!

16. Aug 27, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Yeah that sounds like the infamous Taco Lean and they sell what they call a trimmer pack which is just a little spacer that lifts up the driver side like 1/2" to get rid of the lean. Hey Meg didnt you have the OME lift before?....so you got whole new lift again?

17. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    Haha, the taco lean . . .yeah I traded in my 2008 for a new one. Trade kind of just happened, a deal I really couldnt pass up. Thanks for the input, I'll look into that to get rid of the lean.

18. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Oh sweet so you got a brand spanking new one then huh?! Nice!! I really like the look of the front ends on the new ones. Oh and your supercharged as well??:eek:

19. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:13 AM
    mj918

mj918 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Meg
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road Sliver
    Yeah, love it. The steering wheel is still growing on me, but it’s alright. Having it supercharged is a lot of fun. Better gas mileage and a world of difference with elevation changes. Just need to slap on a better exhausted.

20. Aug 27, 2012 at 8:14 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Well congrats! Hopefully you can try and come out to one of the Salt Lake meets again. I missed the last few cause I've been so busy with other stuff. :(

Products Discussed in

To Top