1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for some feedback from the experts - 2012 TX|Pro

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cdh7917, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    cdh7917

cdh7917 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    Hey gang,

Just picked up a 12 TX|Pro dbl cab, 6pd. I'm looking to go MT with this truck. I've already been reading the endless suspension threads, and talked to the guys at DSM.

Take a look at these pieces below, and let me know how I'm doing for a full MT. Money is an object, but I want to do this right from the start. I've got bad memories from lifting a Jeep with spacers. No disrespect to the spacer guys, but I want to go all out.

This is still going to be a daily driver. I'm not looking to hack metal or anything too advances (ie, LT, or SAS). I want something that will do well in the Colorado Rockies, handle some rocks, and still ride nice on the streets.

The goodies:
    Front - King 2.5 Resi Coilovers
    UCA - Camburg Off Road
    Rear Lift - Deaver J66 1.5" leafpack
    Rear Shocks - King 2.5 Resi

From talking to the guys at DSM, I don't reckon I need a front diff drop, or extended brake lines. Nor a CB drop.

I'm open to suggestions, so please feel free to throw ideas out there.

Thanks.

2. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    NoSoup4You

NoSoup4You Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    I like the pieces you have there .. wish I had gone King and 2.5s in the rear for my MT (but the Icon is still good)

what tire size you running? If anything close to 285 or 33" you will NEED a cab mount chop. depending on where you live, a number of vendors or members from TW could help.

also - what kind of stance are you looking for? The Deaver j66 is a little under 1" for the DCSB, so it will be bro-leaned a with any more than 2" on the front coilovers. I had them for a while but ended up with an AllPro pack instead (went with Expo because I carry camping gear, but the Standard is good for light loads)

depending on how hard you wheel I would look at spindles or spindle gussets, and some good quality skids to replace the Toyota OEM junk

EDIT: I have the diff drop spacer .. I hear 50/50 about whether they are necessary or even beneficial .. I would say don't spend cash on a new one. Extended brake lines are not a bad idea, even under 3" lift. I just added mine and the pedal firmness and response is noticeable when articulating off road.

3. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    NoSoup4You

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Camburg | King | Glassworks | DMZ | Nitro | Banks | Pelfreybilt | Brute Force Fab | Bay Area Metal Fab | Baja Designs | Rigid Industries | STL
    oh yeah .. and start saving for those new gears now :)

I had my lift and tires for about an hour before bumping a re-gear to the top of my wish list.

4. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:34 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    I figured the extra .5" in OD was a worthy investment.

As for tires, I'm looking at a 285/75/16, likely a Firestone Destination A/T. I've run them before, and was pleased with the results. Well behaved on the highway too. I don't need a serious mud tire.

Can you please detail the cab mount chop? Haven't read about that before. I'm in Colorado, so I'm sure I could find some help if needed, but I get around a garage pretty well too.

As for stance, I do not want a bro-lean. I don't mind a raked stance, but the back needs to be as tall if not taller than the front. I plan on setting the fronts around 2.5", not going to try pushing it any higher. Plus, if I end up putting any load in the back, it will be even worse.

5. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:41 PM
    NoSoup4You

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    even with a non-mud terrain 285 I think the CMC would be needed.
    here is a link to BAMF's CMC plate install .. shows clearly what the CMC is. BAMF sells these CMC plates but they can be made by any fabricator if you don't want to purchase pre-cut ones

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/ba...n/192527-b-m-f-cmc-plates-cab-mount-chop.html

I have my fronts set at about 2.5" and a loaded bed with the Deavers was crazy amounts of lean. I would definitely consider a 3" leaf pack for the look you want.

6. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    Damn, I've never welded...might have to seek some assistance on that.

As for the rear springs, what is your take on the OME Dakar 2.75" leaf springs?

I'm trying to piece everything together from DSM. Didn't see an option for the Allpro...

7. Aug 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    NoSoup4You

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Dakars are great, lots of people prefer them.

I was torn between AP and OME but when the AP was on a special group buy the decision was made for me :)

8. Nov 12, 2012 at 11:17 AM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    I've re-evaluated some of the components that I'd like to piece together from DSM.

Front - King 2.5 Resi Coilovers
    UCA - Total Chaos
    Rear Lift - OME Dakar 2.75" Rear Lift Spring
    Rear Shocks - King 2.5 Resi

What about bumpstops for the rear? I do think I will do new brake lines as well, just to make sure I have the enough length for articulation.

Any advice or feedback?

9. Nov 12, 2012 at 1:56 PM
    NoSoup4You

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    Very nice setup :thumbsup:

Extended brake lines are a good idea. Bumps are good too, I went with the U-Bolt Flip Kit and Timbren bumps to hold me over until I am ready for hydros.

10. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:33 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro

Do you have links for the u-bolt flip kit and Timbren bumps? Also, Hydraulic bump stops?

Thanks for the feedback!

11. Nov 12, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    NoSoup4You

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Palos Verdes
    Vehicle:
    2008 DCSB DMZ LT 4x4
    yeah, I got the u-bolt flip and timbrens from All-Pro:
    hydraulic bumps or air bumps .. whatever the normal ones are called.
    Just not the fakey rubber bumps like OEM or Timbren

12. Nov 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    ^^ cool, I actually found the same thing after I posted. Should have asked Google before I replied!

It looks like the U-bolt flip kit will add lift too by placing the axle on top of the leafpack, instead of under it, correct?

13. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro

Thanks, no pics or parts yet. Just working on getting my facts straight before I make the purchase. Hopefully I'll be making that purchase soon though...

14. Nov 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Timbrens are good for weight-carrying, not so good for flex or shock absorption.

Hydraulic bump stops will typically require cutting and welding. Icon just released a semi-bolt-on bump stop kit, though you will still have to grind away the rivets holding your exist bump pad on the frame.

15. Nov 12, 2012 at 6:56 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro

So, when I talked to the guys at DSM today, I was led to believe that my factory bump stops will be adequate for the type of use my truck will see.

My truck is still a daily driver, so I don't plan on any extreme usage or hardcore off-roading. I want to be able to leave paved roads and have a suspension that performs well when the trail is a rough. No extreme rock crawling or finding whooops in CO to run over at 50mph.

I also want it to look good. They key for this is, I want it to be done right the first time. I know I can achieve the same results as the package I've put together for less money, but I hate to half-ass a project like this. I know too that I'm likely to get what I pay for.

Go big or go home, I suppose. Before I get tires, I need to find someone in Colorado that can help me out with the CMC portion of this too.

I appreciate the feedback gents.

16. Nov 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM
    cdh7917

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 TX|pro
    Yep...DSM said an extra $180 for extended height rears. I do run a topper, so I figure I'll be just about level.

Up until today, I hadn't thought about that though. I just do not want the ass end to sit lower than the front.

Products Discussed in

To Top