1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How Much do 5100s Affect Alignment?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by AeroCooper, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sep 27, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper [OP] Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    If I install 5100s in my driveway at 1.75", how bad is the alignment usually affected? I know it will need it, but could I drive it for a few days or is it totally screwed up after the install?

Also, I've read here that the AutoZone spring compressors are junk, but there is an Advance Auto Parts near me that basically lends theirs for free, you pay a refundable deposit on it. Anyone have experience with the Advance Auto Parts spring compressor? My only other option is to let the shop install and align it for around $250

2. Sep 27, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    1stacoma

1stacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM SR5 DCSB 4.0
    5100's front and rear, front 2.5" rear 2" AAL, 18% tint front and rear, color matched grill. SCS wheels 275/70/17 BFG AT KO's. DTRL toggle switch.
    I purchased a sping compressor at harbor freight it was about $12. Its junk but it got the job done. I had to use an impact wrench which normally is not a good idea. I lifted my billy's to 2.5 my alignment is ok but I'm installing UCA's this weekend. Installing billys isnt hard but its not for a beginner without help.

3. Sep 27, 2012 at 9:43 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Depending on how much lift you add, your alignment will be fine for a couple days but if you get it off the lift and something really doesn't feel right, you might have to change your plans. When I lifted mine, I drove it about 20 miles to the shop for an alignment. You could definitely tell it wasn't aligned properly but it wasn't unsafe or anything.

As far as spring compressors, the autozone and advanced ones are a little scary but they do work... 250 for a front shock replacement and alignment is a rip off. That's about $100 more than it ought to be in my opinion. Swapping the front shocks isn't really all the difficult. If you have a shop near by, would they disassemble the old coilover and put the coils on the 5100's for you at a reasonable rate?

4. Sep 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    Thanks. No, I'm not a beginner, I actually specialized in suspension and alignment for 10 years before moving to the computer field. I never did coilovers in all that time though, only struts, and the struts usually have the adjustment cams right on the strut bolts, so they were always messed up alignment-wise, of course.

Yeah, I've called around to the local parts stores and it seems no one will do the spring swap for me. I feel a bit weird calling a real garage for this because they would probably say to just let them do the whole thing.

And I agree, $250 is way high. I was thinking $200 tops, alignment included, so I'll probably just give it a go myself. The only things that concern me are the quality of the compressor and whether it will be drivable until I can get the alignment. Thanks!

5. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    I lifted mine 2.5 inches and drove around for 2 weeks til I got an alignment. The truck handled diffrently but still felt safe.

6. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:45 PM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    The positive camber will be way high till you get an alignment done. Could start to wear down the outside edges of the front tires.

7. Sep 27, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    2.5 you will probably need uca's. I had mine at 2.5 for 8 months? Camber was off and would drift on freeways. New arms is a huge difference

8. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:02 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    ^ I'm only going 1.75" to level with the 4 leaf pack.

9. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    dad32509

dad32509 Thinking of something clever

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Blacked out 05
    5100's front and back, OME 885x's, LR UCA's, OMD rear springs, Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD, HVAC Green led's MOD, Blacked out bumper, Plastidip emblems, custom front tube bumper, 32" combo led bar, rigid duallys, otrattw switches, my own Satoshi grille, shorty antenna, Spyder LED halo headlights. csjumper2003 map/dome, 3rd brake, DTRL white/amber and parking LED's. Pelfreybilt IFS skid, Cab mount chop, sliders and rear light bar w/blitzpro 5LR dust light. Uniden CB, Magnaflow 18" exhaust, Rear tire carrier, sway bar removed, spidertrax 1.25" spacers, Wheelers 16" Alloys w/265/75r16 Goodyear DuraTracs
    You should be fine then. I used a compressor from autozone to do mine. Worked fine and only took a couple hours.

10. Sep 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM
    Bobbb

Bobbb "Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    Bob
    Tundra TRD/OR
    Did mine by myself (at 1.75"), but had a local grease monkey shop swap the springs for me. Charged me $34 for 1/2 hour of shop time, but I gave him $50 for letting me walk in and have them done right then and there. Nearest town where I could get an alignment is 40 miles away and I had no problem driving there at highway speed the next day. Definitely doable for one person, but it sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands a couple times.

11. Sep 28, 2012 at 12:25 PM
    Johnnyh

Johnnyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    The basics, 5100s, 885s, weathertechs, Desert racing UCAs, wheelers progressive 3 leaf, icon rears, welded in magnaflow, ultragauge, drop in filter, bet mat, 285/75/16s
    I did 1.75 and drove 20 miles to get an alignment, it wasn't terrible. There still is obvious positive camber though after alignment.

The write up someone did about dropping the LCA works beautifully, with an air gun I did the passenger side by myself in literally 12 minutes. Plus no springs under tension to fly out at you, or any extra expenses.

On a side note, Id rather juggle hand grenades than rely on a spring compressor from harbor freight. Dropping the lower is way safer imo.

12. Sep 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    AeroCooper

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    I borrowed the spring compressors from Advance, but they look pretty flimsy. I think I may give this method a go, if I can borrow a floor jack from my stepdaughter's boyfriend. Or I may just go buy one, I've been wanting one anyway.

13. Sep 28, 2012 at 11:43 PM
    Johnnyh

Johnnyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Az
    The basics, 5100s, 885s, weathertechs, Desert racing UCAs, wheelers progressive 3 leaf, icon rears, welded in magnaflow, ultragauge, drop in filter, bet mat, 285/75/16s
    There you go, the money saved doing it yourself pays for a jack that will get a ton of use. Justified purchase

Products Discussed in

To Top