1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A two part question: lift and rear springs for a 2012 Tacoma, TRD Off-Road, DCSB

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LizellaFella, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:09 AM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    The 2012 truck came equipped with the 16 “TRD off road” wheels /BF Goodrich P265/70-16 combo at 31 inches tall. The 2010 truck came with 17” TRD Sport wheels /265/65-17 Bridgestones Combo at 30.5 inches tall. These measurements are from the Tire Rack website.

When comparing the two, the ride height is significantly different. In fact, my sons 2007 Base Model originally equipped with steel 16 inch wheels, but now fitted with 17” Sport alloys, looks to sit at least an inch or two higher than my 2012.

For those of you who have installed a lift kit, please make recommendations for a kit I can install in my garage that will give me the 2 inches back. Not looking to have to drop the front diff or the carrier bearing. I just want something simple to get my height back.

Second part of the question is regarding the rear leaf springs. They seem awfully weak for a 4x4 truck. I took a camping trip this weekend and with the bed loaded with the tent, totes for camping equipment, coolers for food, and a hitch hauler with maybe 100lbs of firewood, the frame would bottom out on the bump stops on moderate dips. I also noticed that when pulling my 17ft aluminum boat the same occurs. On the 2010 I had this wasn’t an issue.

Having said all that, please make recommendations for a lift kit that could address this issue as well. I assume new rear springs would be in order as opposed to lift blocks.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    LF

2. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    LF, There is a remedy for your rear leaf springs that works for some that will cost you nothing. Toyota knows the rear leaves are weak and offer a TSB (technical safety bulletin) where they replace the rear leaf spring pack , no charge It will have 4 leaves total in it(3leaves, plus overload). Talk with your Toyota service manager about hitting your stops under load.

For some this all you need. For other owners, they may need to add an additional aftermarket leaf to the rears as well.

3. Oct 2, 2012 at 6:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I don't think the TSB covers the 2012's yet.

OP, if I were you, I'd call Toyota corporate about the bottoming out issue. The TSB springs aren't great but they're better than what you have. Are you opposed to air bags to help handle the load? That would allow you to maintain stock height and adjust the pressure to the load you need to carry.

4. Oct 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM
    LizellaFella

LizellaFella [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eddie
    Reno Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not opposed to air bags. I assume a set of bags for the rear and higher springs for the front would fix both my issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top