1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 SUSPENSION PROBLEM!!!!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by EVILSKEEMZ, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

EVILSKEEMZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So, I've been following this forum for a bit since I just got my 2013 2.7l 4x4 regular cab. First off I love the truck but this past weekend I put about 480lbs of cement in the back and I noticed a harsh and noisy ride. I unloaded the bed and I noticed the back of the truck sagging. I didn't measure it before the load but it is considerably lower without it. especially on one side (left).The back suspension was making noise with the load and now without. I'm pissed! I called Toyota customer service and got a case number. I made an appointment to go back to the dealer this week. I know of the TSB for the other model years but has anybody had similar problems with any of the 2013's???

2. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM
    kevinsc

kevinsc 2012 dbl cab 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    kevin
    Lexington, south carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 4x4 dbl cab
    chrome on front painted to match, satoshi grill done by myself, BHLM, billys all the way around with ome springs upfront and LR ucas with wheelers 3 leaf progressive pack in the rear, mb gunner wheels powdercoated black on 285/75r16 nitto trail grapplers, tinted all the way around and on windshield, pioneer dbl din touch screen with two 10's behing the seat and new speakers all the way around and certain interior parts painted to match, also have a road wire leather kit black with red stitching sitting here waiting for me to find time to install it!
    i have a 2012 and i was helping a friend move a fairly heavy table and 4 chairs and i had a good lean going but i didnt have any weird noise but i will keep an eye out for any problems!

3. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM
    tacoma16

tacoma16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    is the noise made when you are driving are just any time the rear suspension is articulating/doing its job?

4. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    Going over bumps

5. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    okay, so its not the drive shaft at the diff. I dont know if this could be it, but i think i remeber reading somewhere that toyota made a typo when doing the torque specifications for the U-bolts that hold down the leaf packs. I dont know but maybe they are moving between the u-bolt and the axle causing a noise. Now I think my idea hear is a little extreme, but have you checked the u bolts to see if they are loose, or under torqued?

6. Oct 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM
    Shauncho

Shauncho Embrace your inner Bro-ness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    Parts Unknown...
    Vehicle:
    none
    I have a 2013 and two weeks after I bought it I loaded up with approx. 400 lbs of camping supplies and I experienced no such issues. In fact, I noticed how it felt like I had nothing in it. I would definitely stay on top of the dealer and make sure this is addressed. Sounds like there may be an issue.

Did you check how many leafs you have in the rear? 3 or 4? I've heard of people complaining about the height drop and harsh ride with a load, but haven't seen anyone mention that it was still dropped without the load in it.

7. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    2012 TRD Off Road here, I have 3 leafs, and I have loaded about 400 lbs of camping gear as well, no issues.

I did tighten my u-bolts to 73 foot lbs. when the truck was about a week old, but I have doubts that is the issue here.

If you unloaded it and it is still acting funny, you definitely have a problem that needs looking into.

8. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    I did look under their but I didn't put a wrench to it. The looked tight but, I will defiantly take a better look with a wrench.

9. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    I believe it's a 3 leaf pack.

10. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    It's a non issue since the OP has a regular cab as far as the leaf spring TSB is concerned since it only pertains to access cabs and double cabs.

as far as noises, I would check to make sure everything is tight whether you do it or the dealer does it.

11. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Regardless of the leaf pack you have, You should bring it to your dealer and tell them about the sound

the suspension will sag over time but noise shouldnt be occuring regardless of the amount of weight you put in (realistic weight for our trucks of course-->not saying to throw 4 tons in there lol). Guys around here have overloaded there trucks and they dont have noise.

12. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    Thanks to all for the feedback!

13. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    the suspension will sag over time but noise shouldnt be occuring regardless of the amount of weight you put in (realistic weight for our trucks of course-->not saying to throw 4 tons in there lol). Guys around here have overloaded there trucks and they dont have noise.[/QUOTE]

How much sag or settling is normal?

14. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    How much sag or settling is normal?[/QUOTE]

well for your vehicle it shouldnt sag, lol its a brand new leaf pack. Mine have saged maybe 1/4' to 1/2" in like 3 years. I have also loaded the shit out of mine a few times, anything from mulch, tractors/tractor parts, garbage, scrap. So definatly over the 400lb mark.

Now some people will go through a leaf pack from constant load, or usual load, and may flatten out there leafs but this can't be the case on such a new vehicle. It was only 400lbs of concrete right. And im assuming this was the heaviest thing you have thrown in the truck as well?

15. Oct 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    well for your vehicle it shouldnt sag, lol its a brand new leaf pack. Mine have saged maybe 1/4' to 1/2" in like 3 years. I have also loaded the shit out of mine a few times, anything from mulch, tractors/tractor parts, garbage, scrap. So definatly over the 400lb mark.

Now some people will go through a leaf pack from constant load, or usual load, and may flatten out there leafs but this can't be the case on such a new vehicle. It was only 400lbs of concrete right. And im assuming this was the heaviest thing you have thrown in the truck as well?[/QUOTE]

To be exact six 80lbs bags of cement which comes out to 480 exactly. Btw it has been the only thing that I have put in it.

16. Oct 16, 2012 at 2:59 PM
    tacoma16

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Double cab SR5 4x4
    Still shouldnt be happening. What is the sound? kinda like a squeek or something? maybe there isnt enough lubrication between the leafs, or those pad things that are between the leafs (forget the name...something like buffer pad or something). Still the leaf pack should be ready to go from the factory regardless.

17. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    It defiantly sounds like metal to metal banging. I'm just going to wait to see how the stealership is going to handle this.

18. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:37 AM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    Thanks to all for the input

19. Oct 17, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    oddly enough i experienced something similar... 2012 AC with 4 leaf pack. NO such mechanical noises but i noticed before loading my bed up with gear yesterday that the drivers side rear fender was sitting at least an 1-1.5"s closer to the tire than the passenger side. my driveway is pretty flat. odd...

20. Oct 18, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    EVILSKEEMZ

Member:
    Ok so I took the truck to the dealership and service guy brings it out about an hour and half later says the noise that I heard was the trailer hitch receiver. I said no way and demonstrated the noise. He brings it back in and comes back another hour later and says the left leaf spring is bad. There going to change it when the parts come in but only the one side. My question is shouldn't both sides be changed or will I be good with the one? I asked him that question and gave me the basic stealership answer which was the other side is "good". Anybody?

Products Discussed in

To Top