1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie, old man emu installed questions

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by cheap99, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Oct 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    cheap99

cheap99 [OP] Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    99 sr5 4x4
    I picked up my first Toyota 3 months ago. 1999 Sr5 4x4 x cab with 2.7 , manual trans. I was wanting to do some suspension upgrades and decided I better see whats on it first. Climbed underneath and was surprised to find old man emu cs046r (a or b, can't tell) leafs and 881s up front with nitro shocks front and rear. Score! My question is do I keep the 881 s or swap for the 880 s? I'm a 2.7 with no plans for bumpers or winch. And the rear pack is a 5+2 and could ride smoother. Can I remove a leaf or do I need new 4 leaf packs? Front has a rake to it also. Probably 1.5. Maybe just leveling spacers? Thanks

2. Oct 28, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    BuzzardsGottaEat

BuzzardsGottaEat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Some Toyotas
    Round tires
    Welcome to TW man! First thing that may help is a few pictures of how it sits or else an exact amount you want to bring the front or rear up or down. Also, what you do from here depends on what you want out of it. Are you happy with the ride height it is at now? do you want the front to come up or down? The rear up or down? maybe both a little to meet in the middle? I hope that made sense, basically specifics of your goals and uses for the truck.

You got a good combo of a truck (2.7 + 5 speed), that's awesome that it had OME suspension on it already! take care of it and it will last forever.

3. Oct 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM
    cheap99

cheap99 [OP] Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    99 sr5 4x4
    I like the height of the rear but I'm curious how a 4 leaf pack would ride? The 5 leaf seems pretty stiff. I'll have some weight in the back occasionally but not often. If its not much difference ill just level the front. I forgot to mention I picked the truck up for $700! It tipped on the passenger side so I ve replaced panels and still have some cab work to do. It wasn't well taken care of but I'm on the road now with everything functional at a total of $2100. I'll try to figure out how to post pics. Probabaly have to use the laptop. I'm not smart enough to figure it out on the smartphone :)

4. Nov 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM
    cheap99

cheap99 [OP] Member

Member:
    utah
    Vehicle:
    99 sr5 4x4
    I decided to leave the rear alone for now and to level the front. I need to go 2 to 2.5 inches. I have the 881 s with the nitrogen shocks so do I go with the bilsteins? I ve read some posts about them not being a good combo with the ome coils because they aren't a progressive spring. Should I do spacers or is that a bad idea? I want to keep the same soft ride.

Products Discussed in

To Top