Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Trying to adjust coilovers (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/248685-trying-adjust-coilovers.html)

austinramsay 11-14-2012 06:45 AM

Trying to adjust coilovers
 
Trying to adjust my coilovers but they arent cooperating haha :p ive sprayed a lot of wd40 and tried cleaning up the threads but its not helping very much. The bad threads are under the adjusting collar thing so i cant get to them to clean em. Any ideas?

Janster 11-14-2012 06:51 AM

Are you doing this while they're still on the truck and under load?

I would take the whole assembly out and clean and try to adjust them that way. You might have to compress the coils to take the load/pressure off......

Zombie Runner 11-14-2012 07:01 AM

at least jack up the truck and let the suspension droop, remove the wheels so you can get in there better. PB blaster will work better than WD 40.

Sublime 11-14-2012 10:24 AM

^^ PB blaster does shit wd40 can't.......deff need that side jacked up and off the ground!

austinramsay 11-15-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janster (Post 5990219)
Are you doing this while they're still on the truck and under load?

I would take the whole assembly out and clean and try to adjust them that way. You might have to compress the coils to take the load/pressure off......

How would i adjust them while theyre not on the truck though? I thought about compressing them too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Runner (Post 5990239)
at least jack up the truck and let the suspension droop, remove the wheels so you can get in there better. PB blaster will work better than WD 40.

Yeah its jacked up and off but they refuse to move haha ill try some peanut buttah blaster

Janster 11-15-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinramsay (Post 5995476)
How would i adjust them while theyre not on the truck though? I thought about compressing them too

The whole coil/strut assembly comes out of the truck. You'd adjust them the same way you do when ON the truck.

Compressing the coil to get the pressure off the threads.... and PB blaster is awesome shit!!

If you get the threads to move - even slightly - don't force it. Work the threads back-in-forth and continue to spray PB in there. You may need to 'back out' before you going forward....(threads could be corroded or covered with dirt/debris).

Zombie Runner 11-15-2012 11:32 AM

to adjust them off the truck you would need to secure them in a vice that is mounted to a secure work area.

are you using a spanner wrench or a punch and hammer?

if you have a spanner, try and use a cheater bar to extend the handle so you can get more leverage. I did this when I had my fox coilovers

austinramsay 11-15-2012 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janster (Post 5995565)
The whole coil/strut assembly comes out of the truck. You'd adjust them the same way you do when ON the truck.

Compressing the coil to get the pressure off the threads.... and PB blaster is awesome shit!!

If you get the threads to move - even slightly - don't force it. Work the threads back-in-forth and continue to spray PB in there. You may need to 'back out' before you going forward....(threads could be corroded or covered with dirt/debris).

Haha i know the whole coilover comes out of the truck but thats not what i meant :p Yeah ill probably go rent a spring compressor then and get a lot of pb blaster. I figured i would use a vice to hold them while i adjusted them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Runner (Post 5996517)
to adjust them off the truck you would need to secure them in a vice that is mounted to a secure work area.

are you using a spanner wrench or a punch and hammer?

if you have a spanner, try and use a cheater bar to extend the handle so you can get more leverage. I did this when I had my fox coilovers

Well i was using a punch/hammer while they were on the truck because the uca was in the way. And alright sounds good thanks!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 AM.