Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   PROS AND CONS OF A 3" LIFT (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/249781-pros-cons-3-lift.html)

gome29 11-21-2012 07:55 AM

PROS AND CONS OF A 3" LIFT

I have been doing some research about lifting my truck and i wanted to know what taco owners think about it specifically on our trucks. Whether is about future problems or how badass it's going to look. :)

Enzo 11-21-2012 08:37 AM

Not trying to be an ass but there must be 8,000 threads on 3" lifts on this site alone. Try the search function.

lawless 11-21-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo (Post 6025337)
Not trying to be an ass but there must be 8,000 threads on 3" lifts on this site alone. Try the search function.

i don't think OP is asking about 3" lift rather the pros and cons of a 3" lift. he could search the lift threads and figure it out thorugh hours or research or somone with experience can chime in an attempt to address the pros and cons.

or perhaps OP is looking for information on 3" lifts in which case the search advice is pretty good :)

Enzo 11-21-2012 09:59 AM

Yes I know what he was asking. My thing is, somewhere on the internets someone has taken the time to write out tons of info on lifts but people don't think to search. I don't mean any harm. Google is easy.:D

BAMFTACO 11-21-2012 10:13 AM

Op if you get a 3 inch lift be sure to look into getting new upper control arms like camburg/total chaos etc... If you don't get new uppers then your alignment won't be close to stock. That's the only con I see with getting 3 in lift

NiceTaco 11-21-2012 10:22 AM

Search yes but what sometimes comes back with way to many useless threads to what your looking for.. Anyway...

OP.. From what I have seen and read my ass off on here you will def need new UCA'S. Everyone says stay away from spacers, yet a lot of people use them.. I won't but that's my opinion.. I would say the only con that scares me is the vibration problems some people seem to have. Lots of options out there I am still trying to make my decision! But I am almost there.

BAMFTACO 11-21-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicetaco (Post 6025820)
Search yes but what sometimes comes back with way to many useless threads to what your looking for.. Anyway...

OP.. From what I have seen and read my ass off on here you will def need new UCA'S. Everyone says stay away from spacers, yet a lot of people use them.. I won't but that's my opinion.. I would say the only con that scares me is the vibration problems some people seem to have. Lots of options out there I am still trying to make my decision! But I am almost there.

Vibration isn't that bad I have it you get used to it but I think 2.5 inch lift all around Would be best cuz then you don't really need to get new uppers and your alignment will be somewhat close to stock. Uppers is optional

NiceTaco 11-21-2012 10:35 AM

That's a good point, how bad is the alignment issue at 2.5?

BAMFTACO 11-21-2012 10:55 AM

2.5 in you can get away with not having aftermarket uppers I have my coilovers set at 2.5 and I don't have any issues.

Hairy Taco 11-21-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco (Post 6025975)
2.5 in you can get away with not having aftermarket uppers I have my coilovers set at 2.5 and I don't have any issues.

I had alignment issues. Some do, some don't. This has been discussed countless times. Poor alignment can cause uneven tire wear and steering issues. Lifts can create vibration issues and CV issues as well.

Outside of appearance, I think the main reason to lift a truck is to create clearance for larger tires. Larger tires are what create clearance from the ground.

gome29 11-22-2012 02:05 AM

See, your guys' conversation allowed me to learn it alot better and directly :)

Konaborne 11-22-2012 02:12 AM

pro: more clearance, allows fitment of larger tire, which equates to better offroad ability. Looks

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...57912243_n.jpg
women also throw their underwear at you, visciously.

cons-
increased wear on suspension parts
larger tires can cause wear on transmission
larger tires can rub
larger tires cause loss in MPG
higher center of gravity means in emergency high-speed manuvers, the truck can roll much easier.

the.sight.picture 11-22-2012 02:19 AM

^this

Spoonman 11-22-2012 06:34 AM

Pros outweigh cons to most. That's why so many people run a 3" lift. Seriously increases offroad ability is the biggest pro IMO.

TruKnight 11-22-2012 08:43 AM

pros: looks awesomez

cons: cost $$$

Bussy36 11-23-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hairy Taco (Post 6026626)
I had alignment issues. Some do, some don't. This has been discussed countless times. Poor alignment can cause uneven tire wear and steering issues. Lifts can create vibration issues and CV issues as well.

Outside of appearance, I think the main reason to lift a truck is to create clearance for larger tires. Larger tires are what create clearance from the ground.

This is pretty much what has me on the fence about lifting my truck, not knowing how it will wear other parts of the truck (suspension, etc) and the long term reliability/durability for those of us who keep it mostly on the pavement.

XXXX 11-23-2012 05:19 AM

Personally I do not like 3" lifts.
No one has mentioned the amount of down travel you lose when you lift 3".
In simple terms with a basic lift ~ if you lift 3" you lose 3" of down travel.

My current set up is about 1" of lift. I drive mostly on fire roads where speed is wanted more then clearance. I do drag my skids on a good deal of obstacles, but that's what they are there for. This mild lift is why I run the largest tires you can stuff under a Tacoma without major modifications (255/85/16).

BostonBilly 11-23-2012 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXX (Post 6032363)
Personally I do not like 3" lifts.
No one has mentioned the amount of down travel you lose when you lift 3".
In simple terms with a basic lift ~ if you lift 3" you lose 3" of down travel.

My current set up is about 1" of lift. I drive mostly on fire roads where speed is wanted more then clearance. I do drag my skids on a good deal of obstacles, but that's what they are there for. This mild lift is why I run the largest tires you can stuff under a Tacoma without major modifications (255/85/16).

Can you post up your set up and where you got it. That is what I am looking to do, I am not a hard core offroader. I go off during hunting and fishing trips but that is also on fire/logging roads

XXXX 11-23-2012 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonBilly (Post 6032377)
Can you post up your set up and where you got it. That is what I am looking to do, I am not a hard core offroader. I go off during hunting and fishing trips but that is also on fire/logging roads

Every truck will be different depending on use and weight. I have front/rear plate bumpers and full ATO skids making it much heavier then a stock Tacoma.

Front:
King 2.5 remotes with 700# springs and 1/4" of pre-load (threads showing)
TC UCA's with FK stainless uni-balls
Wheelers bump stops

Rear:
TSB springs with overload removed
Wheelers 3 leaf progressive AAL
Bilstein 5100's (not the extended version but should be)
Wheelers bump stops with no tower mounted to the frame not the leaves

BostonBilly 11-23-2012 05:34 AM

Thanks. Ya I am stock 2012 just looking for a little height for tires in the future