Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Do I need a diff drop kit? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/254986-do-i-need-diff-drop-kit.html)

thedahl 12-26-2012 07:14 PM

Do I need a diff drop kit?
 
I am about to install my 5100's on my 2012 DCLB TRD set at 1.75 and I'm wondering if I need to purchase and install a diff drop kit. I have done a ton of reading on this site and many others but I cannot find a definitive answer. The biggest answer I found was that anything over 3" you need the drop kit. Is this accurate? I just want to ensure I'm doing the right thing. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

OZ-T 12-26-2012 07:21 PM

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

DSYLEXC 12-26-2012 07:33 PM

Just installed a Icon Stage 4 suspension on my 2012 and it gave me between 2 1/2 - 3" of lift, no diff drop, and no issues at all. No vibrations.

KenLyns 12-26-2012 07:40 PM

If the fins on your CV boots aren't touching (they shouldn't at 1.75" lift), then no action needed.

If the fins are touching, simply undo the clamp, slide the boot further down the shaft to space out the fins, then re-tighten the clamp.

thedahl 12-26-2012 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OZ-T (Post 6183466)

Thanks OZ-T. To be perfectly honest my truck is pretty much a pavement princess (hurts to say that, but it's true haha) so this would be pretty extreme for me to encounter. Great information though...no diff drop for me!

thedahl 12-26-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSYLEXC (Post 6183510)
Just installed a Icon Stage 4 suspension on my 2012 and it gave me between 2 1/2 - 3" of lift, no diff drop, and no issues at all. No vibrations.

That's what I wanna hear...thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLyns (Post 6183533)
If the fins on your CV boots aren't touching (they shouldn't at 1.75" lift), then no action needed.

If the fins are touching, simply undo the clamp, slide the boot further down the shaft to space out the fins, then re-tighten the clamp.

Ya, I don't think that they'll be touching at only 1.75 so I think I'll be in the clear. Thanks.

CajunBug73 01-14-2013 10:18 AM

Wassup bud!
I just got a 1.75 lift with Bilstein 5100's and 1 1/4 increase in rear. Got them done on Jan, 5, 2013. I get a very slight vib from the front; not sure what the fins are on the CV boots (very new to these things), could use some great advice! Thanks :)

rawdog 01-14-2013 11:58 AM

If you look under your truck, look where the wheel connects to the truck, there should be a shaft there that connects your wheel to the differential. Where the shaft connects to the diff, there is a black rubber boot. You cant miss it.
The fins are the folds in the boot, if they are touching anywhere while on flat ground then that means that they are rubbing.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...e-imag0939.jpg

CajunBug73 01-15-2013 11:42 AM

Thanks my man....just checked under the front end and from what I can see, none of the fins are touching at all. Judging by your photo with the bottom of your boot, my fins are a lil bit farther apart on the bottom, so there almost equel distance on the top and bottom, so that should be fine and no need for diff drop? Thanks in advance. (thank god they are tacos)...love em!

CajunBug73 01-16-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CajunBug73 (Post 6279645)
Thanks my man....just checked under the front end and from what I can see, none of the fins are touching at all. Judging by your photo with the bottom of your boot, my fins are a lil bit farther apart on the bottom, so there almost equel distance on the top and bottom, so that should be fine and no need for diff drop? Thanks in advance. (thank god they are tacos)...love em!

what happened?

rawdog 01-16-2013 09:58 AM

That pic is actually just from google images haha I was too lazy to go take a pic of my piece of junk. But it's the pretty much the same on our trucks.

I would say, that if your boots are not rubbing while on regular ground, you probably don't need a diff drop, however, that being said. Less CV angle is always better but if you don't want to spend the extra cash I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I never put one in my 2.75" front spacer.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:46 PM.