1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment specs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by RobbySkateboard, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    RobbySkateboard

RobbySkateboard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    I just put on my OME lift with LR upper control arms. Getting new tires (285/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T) on Monday-Wednesday when they get them in stock, and the guy told me I should go on a forum and ask what alignment specs I should have for a 3" lift so they can set it to that for me. So I looked around a bit and saw 0 camber, 0 toe and 2.8-3 caster was what I came up with, does anyone have any different suggestions or anything else I should know?

2. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:25 PM
    evanmb31

evanmb31 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    A little lower on the caster would be fine also. I have the same setup and same tires, my caster is at 2.5 and 2.7. But yes i have heard 2.5-3*, more caster might help the tires stay off the cab mount. Your mounting them on trd sport wheels with spacers?

3. Jan 12, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No spacers yet, but I'd like to get some spidertrax or whatever it is, and yes, stock wheels

4. Jan 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Satoshi'd grill. blacked out badges. aftermarket sound system. De-chromed and color matched. OME 885s + Dakars with 3rd leaf removed. LR UCAs. Scs stealth 6 with 285 duratracs. BAMF sliders
    Well you will probably need them. 285s will probably rub on the UCAs with stock wheels and no spacers

5. Jan 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Just to let you know, i am not positve when it comes to light racing UCAs. I know for a fact 285s will rub on stock UCAs, aftermarket UCAs may provide more clearance.

Edit: ya you need spacers. My wheels push the tire out 2.2 inches more than stock, and look at this
    hyva3uzy_e494932c1f2310fc1c52985d4052dfd2a9cf45ac.jpg
    You will need some 1.25" spacers probaby

6. Jan 12, 2013 at 6:13 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, I posted in the WTB section to see if anyone has any they'll sell since spidertrax's website says they're currently out.

7. Jan 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
  8. Jan 15, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    So I had the tires installed and aligned today, but the guy came out and said the upper control arms where already adjusted all the way out and he adjusted the lowers to full as well and he couldn't do anything else but they're still at a pretty obviously bad camber, any suggestions as to what I do? When I installed the uppers it had a plate that you could pivot to adjust camber as well, should I just go in tomorrow with that piece of paper and tell him to fix it properly?

9. Jan 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    You have light racing UCAs?

Sorry, i didnt read the original post again, looks like you do have them. What setting is the plate at? Is the spc logo facing the tire? What are your alignment numbers? I am assuming he got you the caster numbers you wanted but now the camber is off?

10. Jan 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    You disappeared. I am going to assume that the alignment tech got your caster around 2.8 like you said you would tell him. So now your camber is off, you are right about turning the plate. That plate will adjust caster, not camber. If you turn that plate to add 1 more degree of caster then he should be able to get the camber is spec. It would help to know what the plate is set at and what your alignment numbers are. Definitely hand him that piece of paper. Here is some info from the SPC website.

4. Q. After installing these control arms I now have camber and caster adjustment on both the upper and lower control arms. What is the proper way to adjust the alignment?
    4. A. On many Toyotas, the factory lower cams have seized in the control arm, and cannot be used to adjust the alignment without a lot of work. If they have not seized, they can help to fine-tune the alignment.

If tire rub is not critical:
    1. Set caster roughly by clocking the SPC upper ball joint per the chart on the instruction sheet.
    2. Once caster is close to your desired setting using SPC’s upper arm, use the factory cams on the lower arms to dial it in. (Ignore any change in camber while setting caster.)
    3. Now that caster is where you want it, use the sliding feature of the upper ball joint to put camber exactly where you want it.
    5. Q. My tires are rubbing at the back of the wheel well, can I use the adjustable arms to help fix this?
    5. A. Yes, you can! Use the lower arm adjustment cams to roll the lower ball joint forward for maximum caster. (Pull the forward bushing in and push the rearward bushing out.) Then adjust the upper ball joint to get the caster and camber alignment in spec. Doing this can move the wheel center forward by ½"- ¾" in most cases.

11. Jan 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can adjust camber at the top nut / slide of the LR UCA's without adjusting the LCA cams

Edit : As posted above ^^

12. Jan 15, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the lack of response, was away from the computer for a while. ANYWAYS
    I told him I wanted 0 camber, 0 toe and 2.8 caster
    here's what I got back:
    left:
    toe:0.00
    caster: 2.4
    camber: 1.8

right:
    toe: 0.00
    caster: 2.9
    camber: 2.2

So tomorrow I plan on going back and telling them that I want it fixed to what I asked for (I had to take the alignment as was today because they finished 2 hours later than they said and I had to be at work as they finished, so I couldn't stay and wait for them to fix it).

I currently have the plates both set to D which was 0 degrees ball joint setting but is 2 degrees total arm+ ball joint. Which should I have the alignment tech set them to so that he can achieve 0 camber while still being able to do 2.8 caster?
    The piece of paper:
    [​IMG]
    won't embed for some reason http://postimage.org/image/nk3qa029n/

So which of those options A-G should I tell him he should set the plate to in order to get both the caster and camber correct?

13. Jan 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Holy crap thats alot of camber. Its hard to say what to set them at, i would probably add 1* of caster but it might need another 1.75* I dont know, i have never done an alignment. I think your best bet is to talk to the alignment guy and see if he is willing to change the setting himself. So the plate needs to be set at option b or c, you will rotate the spc logo on the plate towards the front of the vehicle. Read that whole piece of paper, i think it has pointers on how to do the alignment, ask the tech to read that.
    On a side note did you get spacers? When you get camber to 0 those 285s will probably rub the UCA

14. Jan 16, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    no, I haven't gotten spacers yet, I started a wtb thread and one guy said he had some but when I pmed him someone had snaked them out from under me (SUPER lame) and Spidertrax is out of stock on their website.

ok, so I'll take the piece of paper in and say it needs to be on b or c. The thing that bugs me is the guy charged me $90 for the alignment that wasn't done right at all and then tried to tell me that the camber won't make a difference but the one side of the tire might wear quicker than the other... no shit, my wheels are at a ridiculous camber! it's NOT okay.

15. Jan 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Ya thats bullshit. If he tried to charge you again it might be worth going to firestone and geting the lifetime alignment. I wish someone else would step in here and confirm this. But i read straigt from spc that if you use the adjstable plate to get caster then you can get camber in spec. I had no problem getting my alignment in spec. That much caster is unacceptable your tires will wear down way to quick

16. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Keep in mind the alignment guy might not want to change it for you or he might charge extra. Did you install yourself? If so maybe bump it up 1 degree before you bring it in.

17. Jan 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I did install it myself, but I figure I'll bring it in and them ask them about it and ask them
    If they want me to adjust the caster plate thing or if he wants to do it, and I won't let him screw me and charge me twice for doing the job once

18. Jan 16, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    RobbySkateboard

Member:
    First Name:
    Robby
    Thousand Oaks, Ca
    Vehicle:
    ok, just went in and the alignment guy was off but they said that if I could bring it back tomorrow they would make it right (and to bring the piece of paper and he'll adjust the caster plate thing himself). I didn't expect them to be as nice about it as they were considering how they were yesterday, but tomorrow we'll see what happens. Now I need to find me some spacers, does everyone here pretty much suggest spidertrax or are there other companies that make good ones I should get?

19. Jan 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    evanmb31

Member:
    First Name:
    evan
    connecticut
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road
    Im not sure on the spacers hopefully someone else will chime in.
    How close are your tires to the UCA or spindle? Everyone says you need spacers for stock wheels if you have 285s. If you dont rub now i assume it is because the amount of caster you have.

20. Jan 16, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That alignment sucks balls

Do they know they can adjust camber on the LR UCA ?

Products Discussed in

To Top