1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 5100 info please help!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by East Bay Woodsman, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Feb 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    East Bay Woodsman

East Bay Woodsman [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B.J.
    East Bay, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Manual 4WD Base
    K&N Air filter
    Ok so I bought a readylift leveling kit for my 2008 trying to get an extra 2" for bigger tires before researching it. After reading about everyone on here talking about the bilstein 5100's I didn't even open the box and brought them back in a heartbeat a few days later and priced the 5100's. I usually get a decent price at my local auto parts store and the price they gave me was $179.00 each for front and $129.00 each for rear + tax in CDN $. So buddy at the counter talked me out of buying them and said I should go with Ranchos instead. The 5100's seem pricey. I have the credit from the readylift kit i returned and am waiting on my next move. Any suggestions folks? Please help! Thanks

2. Feb 1, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I hope when you say "each" you mean pair. Anyway, as a member here on TW you can buy the set of 4 for $299.00 from Downsouth Motorsports.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

You can buy by the pair also with the TW discounted price.

I can't speak for Rancho's, but I just put 5100's on Saturday and I must say I don't see going wrong with these. The ride is great! It's not really any rougher than stock, at least with my Sport coils set at 1.75. Has less body roll and nose dive. If you're looking to go 2.5 my understanding is it's kinda stiff.

3. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Not sure about ranchos, but the 5100s are popular because you can adjust the lift from 0 to 2.5 inches or so.

4. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    5100's FTMFW.

5. Feb 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    X666666 on craigs post

6. Feb 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM
    East Bay Woodsman

Member:
    First Name:
    B.J.
    East Bay, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Manual 4WD Base
    K&N Air filter
    Thanks for your help. Buddy at my auto parts store must of made a mistake when he quoted me $179.00 each. They only sell in pairs so just a mix up.
    Should I change out my coils from the stock ones?
    Thanks again for your help!

7. Feb 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM
    East Bay Woodsman

Member:
    First Name:
    B.J.
    East Bay, Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Manual 4WD Base
    K&N Air filter
    Hey dude, nice truck! Hope life is going well with new baby!
    You running stock coils?
    I'm def going with the billies all around and going to get an AAL for the rear lift.
    The 1.75" setting should work perfect with the 1.5" AAL.
    Just curious if I should upgrade to eibach coils...
    Thanks for your help!

8. Feb 2, 2013 at 7:12 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Thanks!

Yes I'm running the stock coils and the ride seems pretty close to stock. I have heard how the Eibach coils ride great but I'm not sure if they're necessary unless you're wanting to go higher? But from what I've read you can't really go wrong with them if you want to spend the extra money.

I have the rear tsb which gave me about 1/2 to 7/8" of lift in the rear. I've measured a couple of times and got inconsistent readings. :eek: But it does seem just a touch nose high at times and then looks perfectly level at times. I am planning to try to level out the side steps if it's possible since the are uneven and imo help make the rear appear lower.

My baby boy is my pride and joy, aside from the Taco. :D I am so blessed!

Products Discussed in

To Top