Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Rear Shock relocation thread (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/261770-rear-shock-relocation-thread.html)

Box Rocket 02-05-2013 11:23 AM

Rear Shock relocation thread
 
I've been searching through a lot of threads of individual builds etc and in doing so I thought it would be a good idea to get all of the different rear shock set ups in one location to save people time in the future of looking through tons of different threads like I have.

I'll be doing a rear shock relocation mod soon and would like to see pics of different setups and how you did yours. If you can share details of the parts you used, shock length, what rear springs/shackles you are using, any issues you encountered etc. It will be helpful for anyone looking at this thread.

TIA. I'll share my own set up as soon as its completed.

Davtopgun 02-05-2013 11:30 AM

:popcorn:

It's on my mod list.

SconnieHailer 02-05-2013 11:36 AM

Great thread idea Adam.

Subb'd for future reference ;)

Supermoto 02-05-2013 11:44 AM

great idea!

I built this for my brother's second gen, 2.5" shocks and an Expo Pack

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1056792/truck/truckrear012.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1056792/truck/truckrear013.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8465/8...d73a8262_z.jpg

built this for a member's first gen, 2.0" shocks

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...IMG_0921-1.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u.../photo1-58.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u.../photo2-61.jpg

Manwithoutaplan 02-05-2013 11:46 AM

looks good. ^

paranoid56 02-05-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Box Rocket (Post 6389724)
I've been searching through a lot of threads of individual builds etc and in doing so I thought it would be a good idea to get all of the different rear shock set ups in one location to save people time in the future of looking through tons of different threads like I have.

I'll be doing a rear shock relocation mod soon and would like to see pics of different setups and how you did yours. If you can share details of the parts you used, shock length, what rear springs/shackles you are using, any issues you encountered etc. It will be helpful for anyone looking at this thread.

TIA. I'll share my own set up as soon as its completed.


are you talking under bed setups or though the bed?

not a taco but what i did on my old 4runner to get some more lenght. almost touching the bottom of the bed.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E...shockmount.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...hockmount1.jpg

Box Rocket 02-05-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paranoid56 (Post 6391954)
are you talking under bed setups or though the bed?

not a taco but what i did on my old 4runner to get some more lenght. almost touching the bottom of the bed.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-E...shockmount.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...hockmount1.jpg

I'm talking about either, but personally I'm keeping them under the bed.

that's a great setup on the 4Runner. Gives me some ideas.

extrmsob293 02-07-2013 07:27 PM

oh i want to know more

Supermoto 02-07-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrmsob293 (Post 6404353)
oh i want to know more

Shoot off some questions

SoCalTacos 02-07-2013 09:44 PM

What's the longest shock you can run without cutting bed...14"?

Supermoto 02-07-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalTacos (Post 6405090)
What's the longest shock you can run without cutting bed...14"?

What rims? What springs? Wheel spacers?

SoCalTacos 02-07-2013 09:59 PM

17x9's...deaver j66...no spacer....265, possibly 285 tires.

Supermoto 02-07-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalTacos (Post 6405133)
17x9's...deaver j66...no spacer....265, possibly 285 tires.

That pack can't really use much more than a 10" shock. You could maybe get 12" out of it but it will be separating

nofords08 02-07-2013 10:42 PM

After talking about it a lot with Landon after he did his brothers truck, i decided i needed to do the same...i went a bit higher up and did 12's
mocking up and measuring
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...live7vB0kH.jpg

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...livewsOxDJ.jpg

lower mount
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...live0Pzxdr.jpg
Flex achieved
http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/d...livegtAQOJ.jpg

Specs:
Fox 12" 36" by 24" 2.5 with Remote Resi
Allpro Expedition Springs
Daystar Pyramid Bumpstops

Pros: Wheel travel, 2.5's stay way cooler, rear end feels more solid
Con: Had to run 1.25" spacers, to some this isnt a problem but it makes my wide 35's stick out

FixedTRD 02-07-2013 10:52 PM

Here's my rear by DMZ, without cutting into the bed.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DSC_0872.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t/DSC_0857.jpg

SoCalTacos 02-07-2013 11:02 PM

Will, what shock length are you running?

SoCalTacos 02-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermoto (Post 6405290)
That pack can't really use much more than a 10" shock. You could maybe get 12" out of it but it will be separating

yeah, i figured i'd have to get a longer pack...maybe sua even.

uscg2008 02-07-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FixedTRD (Post 6405339)

So freaking sweet. Def would do this if I ever go LT

nagorb 02-07-2013 11:16 PM

I just put a set of expos on my 01 double cab and need to get longer shocks, figured i might as well flip the u bolts and relocate top and bottom mounting. Mounting II i need 23.5 and 13, closest i can find is 24.5ish and 14.6ish losing an inch of compression really isn't a big deal but i would prefer to do it right. I keep reading that people are putting 12" bilstein 7100 short bodies. To me the numbers just don't seem too worth unless they are/\ anyone have any experience/pics?

Any reason to not mount them on the outside of the leafs, wheel well?

FixedTRD 02-07-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCalTacos (Post 6405369)
Will, what shock length are you running?

I'm running 2.5x12 triple bypass, it's a really tight fit hahah frame had to be notched.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:55 AM.