Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Trying to learn more about rear lifts (Questions) (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/273239-trying-learn-more-about-rear-lifts-questions.html)

MGMTacoFF 04-14-2013 08:21 PM

Trying to learn more about rear lifts (Questions)
 
Hi all, I'm trying to "edumacate" myself some more on rear lifts because I have learned a lot about front lifts since joining but for some reason never really focused on things about rear lifts. I've been searching on Google/TW for a while now but I still have some questions.

For a leaf pack like the OME Dakars, do you need anything else with them (to run them safely) when installing besides extended rear shocks? Are longer bump stops required with a leaf pack like this? Are extended rear brake lines really needed with Dakars / All-Pros unless you are doing some serious flexing?

Also, I have heard things about centering pins and shims, and have a general idea of what they are but I don't really understand how shims fix driveline vibes if they raising the leaf pack more?

For something like a U-Bolt Flip Kit, how do the bump stops need to be adapted/fixed? Do they actually come off completely when you do a flip kit and need to be re-welded or how do they go back on?

I may come up with some more questions later , but hopefully some people can help me and this can also be a resource for others trying to learn more.

Matt

4WD 04-14-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6742656)
Hi all, I'm trying to "edumacate" myself some more on rear lifts because I have learned a lot about front lifts since joining but for some reason never really focused on things about rear lifts. I've been searching on Google/TW for a while now but I still have some questions.

For a leaf pack like the OME Dakars, do you need anything else with them (to run them safely) when installing besides extended rear shocks? Are longer bump stops required with a leaf pack like this? Are extended rear brake lines really needed with Dakars / All-Pros unless you are doing some serious flexing?

Also, I have heard things about centering pins and shims, and have a general idea of what they are but I don't really understand how shims fix driveline vibes if they raising the leaf pack more?

For something like a U-Bolt Flip Kit, how do the bump stops need to be adapted/fixed? Do they actually come off completely when you do a flip kit and need to be re-welded or how do they go back on?

I may come up with some more questions later , but hopefully some people can help me and this can also be a resource for others trying to learn more.

Matt


Hi Matt, depending on if its a 1st gen or 2nd gen... with 1st gens you'll almost always have to get ext. shocks & brakeline when lifting, 2nd gens not so much. This applies to ANY spring used for lifting. As far as shims go, if you look closely you'll notice they're slightly angled (tapered) Its purpose is not to raise the springs but rather change differential angle to put it more into driveline parallel that changes when either lifting or lowering....

Now I have a question for you.... Where did you find this sig ??
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way!

:spy::spy:

MGMTacoFF 04-15-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WD (Post 6742897)
Hi Matt, depending on if its a 1st gen or 2nd gen... with 1st gens you'll almost always have to get ext. shocks & brakeline when lifting, 2nd gens not so much. This applies to ANY spring used for lifting. As far as shims go, if you look closely you'll notice they're slightly angled (tapered) Its purpose is not to raise the springs but rather change differential angle to put it more into driveline parallel that changes when either lifting or lowering....

Now I have a question for you.... Where did you find this sig ??
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Lead, follow, or get the fuck out of the way!

Thanks for the reply Doug...slowly learning...

And it's a saying I heard a while ago that was supposedly said by General Patton. :infantry:

Matt

4WD 04-15-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6743581)
Thanks for the reply Doug...slowly learning...

And it's a saying I heard a while ago that was supposedly said by General Patton. :infantry:

Matt

Haha, just call me general then, that's my old sig, I rocked it at the bottom of my page since I joined TW in '09 , used it up to about 2 months ago..Although sounds like something Patton would say for sure..:D

MGMTacoFF 04-15-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4WD (Post 6744493)
Haha, just call me general then, that's my old sig, I rocked it at the bottom of my page since I joined TW in '09 , used it up to about 2 months ago..Although sounds like something Patton would say for sure...

:thumbsup:

Should always have at least one person with it at all times...

Matt

4WD 04-15-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6744548)
:thumbsup:

Should always have at least one person with it at all times...

Matt


Absolutely brother...;)

MGMTacoFF 04-22-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6742656)
For a leaf pack like the OME Dakars, do you need anything else with them (to run them safely) when installing besides extended rear shocks? Are longer bump stops required with a leaf pack like this? Are extended rear brake lines really needed with Dakars / All-Pros unless you are doing some serious flexing?

The question above is my main one for you experts. I think if I get this pack (or even before) I will be getting the All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit with Timbren Rear Bump Stops. Will these be sufficient for Dakars?

Also, do I need to buy anything else specifically for the Dakars besides the actual leaf pack? I see on the page for the Dakars on TRDParts4U that they have an option for "Tacoma bushings." Do I need these if I run the Dakars?

Matt

CliffordBRD 04-23-2013 03:51 AM

I'm pretty sure new bushings will come with any leaf set you get. I'm interested in the bump stops and such as well. How much lift are you going for and what type ofnoffroading do you do? Do you carry any weight?

Lumpskie 04-23-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6781650)
The question above is my main one for you experts. I think if I get this pack (or even before) I will be getting the All-Pro U-Bolt Flip Kit with Timbren Rear Bump Stops. Will these be sufficient for Dakars?

Also, do I need to buy anything else specifically for the Dakars besides the actual leaf pack? I see on the page for the Dakars on TRDParts4U that they have an option for "Tacoma bushings." Do I need these if I run the Dakars?

Matt


One thing to remember with the U-bolt flip is that you will need to relocate your shocks. (because the lower shock mount is attached to the plate your stock U-bolts attach to) I don't know if you weld or not, but it's something to keep in mind...

MGMTacoFF 04-23-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CliffordBRD (Post 6783500)
I'm pretty sure new bushings will come with any leaf set you get. I'm interested in the bump stops and such as well. How much lift are you going for and what type ofnoffroading do you do? Do you carry any weight?

The Dakars (2.75") provide me the approximate lift I want and I have heard good things about their weight support. I don't haul much but I like to not sag when I do carry stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6783638)
One thing to remember with the U-bolt flip is that you will need to relocate your shocks. (because the lower shock mount is attached to the plate your stock U-bolts attach to) I don't know if you weld or not, but it's something to keep in mind...

That is very true, I forgot about the shock relocation. I think I would just have a shop do that for me since I don't know how to weld. Would I need to buy relocation plates for the shock seat to sit in and do you know where I should get those from?

Matt

Lumpskie 04-23-2013 06:50 AM

Here are some options for your lower mounts. I know that other vendors sell them as well.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspens...le-shock-mount

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...504shockmounts

Also, for bump stops, I'm thinking about extending the upper strike plate rather than the lower rubber stop. That way the rubber can't over compress or break due to torsional loading. I'll probably just use square tube and plate to make mine, but Marlin does sell something simlar to what I envision. (with the offset towards the center of the truck).

http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspens...top-extensions

MGMTacoFF 04-23-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6783873)
Here are some options for your lower mounts. I know that other vendors sell them as well.

http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspens...le-shock-mount

https://www.allprooffroad.com/9504ta...504shockmounts

Also, for bump stops, I'm thinking about extending the upper strike plate rather than the lower rubber stop. That way the rubber can't over compress or break due to torsional loading. I'll probably just use square tube and plate to make mine, but Marlin does sell something simlar to what I envision. (with the offset towards the center of the truck).

http://www.marlincrawler.com/suspens...top-extensions

Thanks for the links. Would those All-Pro mounts work for 05-11 Tacoma's also? They don't seem to have shock mounts listed for 05-11 on their site, only for 96-04.

Also, are the Marlin mounts universal and/or are the mounts for a 3'' axle housing correct for 05-11 Tacoma's?

Matt

DevL 04-23-2013 09:26 AM

I run the Allpro Ubolt flip for Timbrens but with modified factory bumps so I do not lose travel. You just hammer em flat, trim to fit, and mount em up.

4Wheelin4Banger 04-23-2013 09:36 AM

You will need longer U-bolts & new bushings for the Dakars.
Longer than stock shocks.
Stock brake lines are fine.
Bump stops depends on tire size & wheel specs. My rear wheels stuff just fine with stock bump stops.
The Emu Gurus are at Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures (http://i.cdn2.tacomaworld.com/forum/.../multipage.gif 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

MGMTacoFF 04-23-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger (Post 6784504)
You will need longer U-bolts & new bushings for the Dakars.
Longer than stock shocks.
Stock brake lines are fine.
Bump stops depends on tire size & wheel specs. My rear wheels stuff just fine with stock bump stops.
The Emu Gurus are at Old Man Emu: Questions, Answers & Pictures http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/258245-old-man-emu-questions-answers-pictures.html\">1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Ok, I was just planning on running the OME N182's if I got Dakar's anyway. Are these the right U-Bolts for Dakars and do they work with the stock U-bolt locations or is there some other flip kit that has longer U-bolts for leaf packs?

Matt

DevL 04-23-2013 01:47 PM

The Allpro U bolts will fit and you need the round U bolts, not the flat ones to run a flip kit... just use the flip kit made for Timbren and modify your factory bumps.

MGMTacoFF 04-23-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevL (Post 6785733)
The Allpro U bolts will fit and you need the round U bolts, not the flat ones to run a flip kit... just use the flip kit made for Timbren and modify your factory bumps.

But who sells longer U-Bolts so that I could run the All-Pro Flip Kit with Dakars? I would like to have both a flip kit and Dakars, I just don't know who makes a kit that is compatible.

Matt

DevL 04-25-2013 03:47 AM

Pretty sure the Ubolts are long enough as is on the AllPro flip kit.

Lumpskie 04-25-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF (Post 6785828)
But who sells longer U-Bolts so that I could run the All-Pro Flip Kit with Dakars? I would like to have both a flip kit and Dakars, I just don't know who makes a kit that is compatible.

Matt


Out of curiosity, why are you set on doing the U-bolt flip right away?

MGMTacoFF 04-25-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpskie (Post 6797361)
Out of curiosity, why are you set on doing the U-bolt flip right away?

Well, I would eventually like to do a flip kit to get some more clearance around the rear axle, and I figured if I was going to go through the trouble of putting a leaf pack on, I would put the flip kit and bump stops on, and relocate the shocks anyway. So, ideally, I would like to get all the needed parts (flip kit, bump stops, shock relocation mounts, and leaf pack), and do it all at the same time.

Matt


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.