Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Caster at 5 Deg Possible? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/275488-caster-5-deg-possible.html)

KenLyns 04-29-2013 10:43 AM

Caster at 5 Deg Possible?

Took my truck in for re-alignment at the dealer, in attempt to get greater caster and maximize tire clearance. According to their machine, though, the caster is already at 5.3 / 5.0 deg LH/RH. Camber is at 0.3 / 0.1 deg. Toe is at 0.05 deg

I have Icons set at 2.5" and All-Pro UCAs. Are aftermarket UCAs THAT effective in providing caster, or is the dealer's alignment rig miscalculating?

MEMO CAMPOS 04-29-2013 11:45 AM

I was able to achieve 5* of caster! Im running icons with TC uca's and camburg spindles. I was also confused because everybody struggles to get to 3* and I'm 5*. My alignment guy told me it all depends on the technicians skill level when it comes to suspension geometry and not just depend on a computer.

DevL 04-29-2013 01:41 PM

How much caster do your UCA add?

Pugga 04-29-2013 01:44 PM

That's a lot of caster... Seems if you were truely at 5 degrees, it would not corner worth a damn and would constantly fight you to straighten out.

85yote09taco 04-29-2013 01:51 PM

When I had my old setup I had 4.5* caster. I need to get another alignment, just changed coils last friday. I thought it handled just fine. I was told I would have ''bump-steer'' but never felt uncomfortable. I also haul a 22' travel trailer!

KenLyns 04-29-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 6815851)
That's a lot of caster... Seems if you were truely at 5 degrees, it would not corner worth a damn and would constantly fight you to straighten out.

That's not necessarily true. In my Formula SAE days, I designed in about 6 deg of caster, with an unpowered, fast-ratio steering rack. Steering effort was manageable. On a slow-ratio production vehicle rack with power steering, I don't think 5 deg would feel that different from 3 deg.

Pugga 04-29-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenLyns (Post 6815932)
That's not necessarily true. In my Formula SAE days, I designed in about 6 deg of caster, with an unpowered, fast-ratio steering rack. Steering effort was manageable. On a slow-ratio production vehicle rack with power steering, I don't think 5 deg would feel that different from 3 deg.

Understood, with power steering, it wouldn't feel a lot different as in, steering effort wouldn't be increased much but with that much caster would make the truck awesome in a straight line and not want to go around a corner (unless you increase the camber also which you may have done in your SAE days)

MEMO CAMPOS 04-29-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 6815851)

Truck handles better than it ever did stock! I believe the uca adds a couple of degrees of caster and the cam at the lca can achieve up to 3 degrees...hence my 5* of caster. The key is whether your technician can dig it out or not...