1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you think about this set-up?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Dunkoma, May 1, 2013.

1. May 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    I just bought my tacoma and was wondering what you all think about my planned lift/suspension mods. Most of this is fairly new to me so I've been relying on long hours searching this forum and word of mouth.

Originally I was looking at something like below:
    3" Toytec OME Lift - 885's + Alcan AAL (Or Dakar Leaf Springs)
    or
    - 3” Bilstein 5100’s w/ OME Coils + AAL

After further consultation this is where I'm at:
    Icon Extended travel Coil Overs
    Camburg Uni ball UCA
    Icon AAL
    Icon 2.0 rear shocks

I use the truck to drive to work most weekdays, although definitely plan to start taking her out more on the weekends out to places like sycamore creek, run some trails in flagstaff etc. I took it out once and already can tell this will be a life long addiction and figured it would only benefit me in the long run to have an upgraded set up. I'll also be getting 285/70/17 BFG ATs and throwing on a cold air filter and magnaflow catback.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated - thanks

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. May 1, 2013 at 11:08 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish

contact Sonny or Micah at downsouth motorsports and give them the details.... they can tell ya what options may suite u best and WILL NOT UPSELL you. best prices, free shipping, absolute best customer support around. They carry everything u have listed above for suspension plus MUCH MUCH more.....good choice on the ICON progressive AAL, u will like it.

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/

as for intakes, do ur homework............the newer TRD intake is crap and throws check engine lights because K&N rushed the design and based it off of the 4runner/fj intake and its just different enough in design (fj/4runner to tacoma) to cause afr errors (I think it was a lean issue).

ur option on intakes is limited iirc due to the revisions on the 2012+ emissions stuff.

URD will work with minro modifications and is a true "Cold" air intake, pulling air from behind the grill...........honestly tho, ur stock intake pulls in ambient air temps, and I just dont see ANYTHING being cooler than ambient besides an icebox mod.
    other intakes that work with the 2012+ may have less bends and provide SOME peformance, but mainly its just noise, since they remove the factory baffles.

a catback may not be neccisary...........be careful how large u go...Id think 2.5 (iirc thats stock for 2009+) is fine for N/A, so a simple muffler swap may be good enough for your needs.

stay away from flowmaster............they are said to cost us HP, and they def drone at highway speeds.

3. May 1, 2013 at 11:13 PM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Custom Avid Sliders, AFE Intake, Painted Magnaflow Exhaust, Debadge/Plastidip badges, Icon Extended Travel C/O + 2" Rear Shocks, Icon AAL, Sway Bar Delete, Bar caddy console organizer
    Thanks man I'll definitely scope them out I've heard them mentioned a handful of times on tw.

For the intake I was looking at the K&N although was suggested the AFE intake and filters - have you hear of them before?

Just read the rest of your post - I may just hold off for now, very mixed reviews on if the replacement is even worth it I just figured it could only help.

4. May 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    updated my post.

K&N is an oiled filter.............ur gunna have to handle the oiling process carefully, they even come OVER oiled and can gum up the MAF sensor. Just look at what a stellar job they did when they made the new style "TRD" intake :rolleyes:

AFE is decent.... the AFE stage 2 Si with a multi layered synthetic DRY filter (its an option I highly suggest) will make u happy.... its basically the older style TRD intake (TRD/toyota DOES NOT have the capacity to make intakes or even filters, they contract others to do it).... the old TRD was updated for emissions reasons only, and I have not heard of any check engine light or lean issues with it.

Im running the AFE stage 2 Si right now actually......its a little loud n/a but u may like it....I dont hear it 1 bit over the blower whine tho, so if thats in ur future, its a great candidate.

AFE also makes drop in filters, but the restriction to the v6's intake tract is NOT the filter, so adding a drop in filter will net zero HP gains or sooo low, its within the margin of dyno error.

Gadget at underdog racing did dyno runs with his x-runner (same engine)...he tried it with the stock setup, then stock setup with NO filter.........then stock setup with stock filter and NO charcoal filter.......then again with no filters at all (charcoal/carbon or regular)...............

zero changes in HP..

5. May 1, 2013 at 11:24 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    lil reading for ya

can be found here

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47265&highlight=TRD+intake+fixed

6. May 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
    annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd

7. May 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your suspension and tire choices are great. All the bolt on mods for intake and exhaust are purely aesthetic for sound and looks. The only mods that you will feel are regearing and forced intake.

8. May 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    stockish
  9. May 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
    Dunkoma

Dunkoma [OP] <3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    Good reading - still a bit over my head but I get the general point. The filter they suggest is the same I was told to get by the shop so that makes me feel better.

I understand in the end there really isn't much of a increase in HP if not at all, sound and appearance are part of my deciding factors. I don't know much about re-gearing but saw that it may be necessary, thats something else I will go find some more reading on :D Thanks again dude I'll probably reread this article to absorb it a bit more.

Dev do you know anything about Toyo AT II's? I heard they are cheaper, have a better side wall and longer tread warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top