1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5k budget now what???

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Charlie213, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    Charlie213

Charlie213 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 OR TRD 6speed DCSB 4X4
    I finally got the approval from the wife to get a taco 4x4 off road trd truck. I'm looking at the 2012 or 2013 model. I been saving up for suspension, rims, tires, etc but I only have 5k. I would like to get parts that are durable and last forever or close to it. I don't want to be cheap about the most important features. I can over spend on suspension over rims but not vise versa. Can anyone point me in the right direction into how I should break down what is a must and what can wait. I don't do hard core off roading but I would like to have a truck that can do it all if need to. I live is South California so whatever offload trails we have I want to be able to go thru it without any hiccups. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

2. Jun 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    Welcome and have fun!

For suspension I would focus on an extended travel IMHO.... I cant speak for it yet (mine is on order)... but that's the way to go... Fox, Icon, King, Resi non Resi sooo many options! SDHQ OFFROAD can help you out

3. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:02 PM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Supercharger... couldn't resist.

4. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    if I had a cash flow! yeah... agreed haha

5. Jun 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    What kind of off roading do you like to do?

6. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Charlie213

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    KCDURAN-Any extended travel kits u have in mind?

Pugga- Im a novice so I haven't been off roading much. The most I've done is go through patches of mud here and there and travel thru dirt roads. Haven't climbed any steep hills, or rode over dunes. I've been a passenger not the actual driver but that is why I want to get my own and start the right way and not have to do mods over and over. I want to do it right the first time

7. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Mid travel
    Rims of choice
    285/70/17 or 285/75/16 tires

8. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Here's the thing, the extended travel kits are nice, but they're pricey. Sure, they're within your price range but dumping several thousand dollars into a suspension system you're not even sure you're going to really use seems silly. The Old Man Emu kit is a great kit and will take you a while to outgrow. Yes, there are 'better' kits out there but the OME kit is a good, solid performer yet is very affordable. The whole kit, including replacement leafs, is around $1,200. Coupled with decent tires, you're in business.

9. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:19 PM
    squatnbear

squatnbear Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TX pro MGM

What he said!!!

10. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    If your looking for the "BEST" in suspension then you can EASILY spend $5K. But if you want a GOOD suspension then your prob gonna spend around $1.5K. The Old Man Emu set up is nice, or Bilsteins with eibachs and new leaf springs (this is what I have, about $1050). More expensive is adjustable Coilovers that come pre-assembled...here are some popular brands = Fox, King, ICON. Check out some off road websites, then sites like Down South Motorsports or ToyTec, among many other, can help you order.

I wish I had 5K to put in my truck all at once... It be like CHRISTMAS!!!

Have fun! Post pics

Oops, should have read the post before me. Didn't mean to repeat everyone else;)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  11. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Here's something else to consider, you're talking about off roading a brand new truck, you'll want to protect it. Figure $1.5k for an OME kit with new leaf pack and UCAs, $1k for decent tires, mounting and balancing, $800 for wheels, $500 for sliders, then you can look at other goodies like extended SS brake lines, u-bolt flip kit, any performance upgrades like an exhaust, headers, intake, URD electronic goodies, stereo upgrades, maybe some Wet Okole seat covers and Weathertech floor mats to protect the interior. You could get to $5k in a hurry with all of that stuff unless you've set aside $5k for suspension, wheels and tires and have other money to spend on the truck elsewhere.

12. Jun 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Like Corey said this is perfect.... a decent NON RESI (which means cheaper --- basically) front coil-overs, rear shocks, and leaf kit will be in the range of $2k... Then get a nice decent rim and tire combo... boom! Fun stuff and youll have a new ride!

A lot of people really get what they want, I personally like Icon because of everything I've read and heard from several different vendors.

Just my opinion :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!

13. Jun 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
    SDHQ OFFROAD

SDHQ OFFROAD Cuz Stock Sucks! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    SALES
    Gilbert AZ
    You can do a lot with $5K!

Your getting a brand new truck that rides pretty darn good out of the box. So dont scrimp on new suspension that may cause a worse ride.

Depending on how wild you want to go, or how mild. I would do this

Icon Ext. travel Coil overs non resi (unless you plan on using it every weekend and hard)
    Total Chaos, Icon, or Camburg Upper Control Arm
    Rear 2.0 shocks
    Add a leaf
    Rims/tires (17" and LT285/70/17)

Then maybe some power parts or exhaust.

All of those will be an upgrade from stock while still maintaining a stock or better than stock ride on and off-road with the 2.5" body shock and a progressive rate coil. The Icon's will be a shock that will last the life of the vehicle as they are fully rebuildable and adjustable. The UCA is rebuildable as well and let you have normal alignment with the lift and a much stronger joint.

Your gonna get more down travel, better handling, the lift and ride quality improvements.

With Wheels and tires and not even the TW discount you will have a good chunk left to play with after the set-up above, most likely at least a grand if you can install yourself.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  14. Jun 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    With $5k I would:

Sliders $500-600
    Front coilovers (I would get Icon but that is my opinion) $1600
    Total Chaos UCA $700
    Rear leafpack and shocks (again Icon for the shocks, Allpro for the leafs) $800
    better tires $1500
    Get yourself a CB if you dont have one yet $150 for the entire package

Use the rest for install/labor costs

15. Jun 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
    Charlie213

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks a bunch guys! I'm gonna shop around for the parts and work from there. I'm still shopping around for a 2013 model. Trying to get the best deal but some of these dealers are a joke. Any secrets in a getting a good deal?

16. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Reputable dealer. SDHQ. I mean its the only vendor that's responded to your question

17. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Spend a bit at a time on what you think you need. Start with basics. Mid travel is a decent idea. Then get deflators and a simple OBA setup. Wheel a lot and decide what you need.

No one can decide for you what you require.

18. Jun 17, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    HIYota

HIYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angel
    Las Vegas, NV originally Kauai, HI
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver 6 spd TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Check my build thread...too much to list.
    Seems like you got a good bit if advice on the suspension. Dealer wise, my advice is dont be afraid to walk out. You'll find your truck eventually and if they want to sell you something they will work for it.

19. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    lawless

lawless the rent is too damn high

Member:
    First Name:
    Lawson
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 dcsb mgm sc
    OP, any update?

20. Jul 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM
    Charlie213

Member:
    San Gabriel Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    Trying to decide on the color. I guess the wife wants something that is gonna look purtty....

Products Discussed in

To Top