Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   5k budget now what??? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/282615-5k-budget-now-what.html)

Charlie213 06-17-2013 12:54 PM

5k budget now what???

I finally got the approval from the wife to get a taco 4x4 off road trd truck. I'm looking at the 2012 or 2013 model. I been saving up for suspension, rims, tires, etc but I only have 5k. I would like to get parts that are durable and last forever or close to it. I don't want to be cheap about the most important features. I can over spend on suspension over rims but not vise versa. Can anyone point me in the right direction into how I should break down what is a must and what can wait. I don't do hard core off roading but I would like to have a truck that can do it all if need to. I live is South California so whatever offload trails we have I want to be able to go thru it without any hiccups. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

KCDuran 06-17-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie213 (Post 7039997)
I finally got the approval from the wife to get a taco 4x4 off road trd truck. I'm looking at the 2012 or 2013 model. I been saving up for suspension, rims, tires, etc but I only have 5k. I would like to get parts that are durable and last forever or close to it. I don't want to be cheap about the most important features. I can over spend on suspension over rims but not vise versa. Can anyone point me in the right direction into how I should break down what is a must and what can wait. I don't do hard core off roading but I would like to have a truck that can do it all if need to. I live is South California so whatever offload trails we have I want to be able to go thru it without any hiccups. Any advice would be helpful.

Thank you

Welcome and have fun!

For suspension I would focus on an extended travel IMHO.... I cant speak for it yet (mine is on order)... but that's the way to go... Fox, Icon, King, Resi non Resi sooo many options! SDHQ OFFROAD can help you out

Gearheadesw 06-17-2013 01:02 PM

Supercharger... couldn't resist.

KCDuran 06-17-2013 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gearheadesw (Post 7040042)
Supercharger... couldn't resist.

if I had a cash flow! yeah... agreed haha

Pugga 06-17-2013 01:19 PM

What kind of off roading do you like to do?

Charlie213 06-17-2013 03:10 PM

KCDURAN-Any extended travel kits u have in mind?

Pugga- Im a novice so I haven't been off roading much. The most I've done is go through patches of mud here and there and travel thru dirt roads. Haven't climbed any steep hills, or rode over dunes. I've been a passenger not the actual driver but that is why I want to get my own and start the right way and not have to do mods over and over. I want to do it right the first time

Monster Coma 06-17-2013 03:15 PM

Mid travel
Rims of choice
285/70/17 or 285/75/16 tires

Pugga 06-17-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie213 (Post 7040584)

Pugga- Im a novice so I haven't been off roading much. The most I've done is go through patches of mud here and there and travel thru dirt roads. Haven't climbed any steep hills, or rode over dunes. I've been a passenger not the actual driver but that is why I want to get my own and start the right way and not have to do mods over and over. I want to do it right the first time

Here's the thing, the extended travel kits are nice, but they're pricey. Sure, they're within your price range but dumping several thousand dollars into a suspension system you're not even sure you're going to really use seems silly. The Old Man Emu kit is a great kit and will take you a while to outgrow. Yes, there are 'better' kits out there but the OME kit is a good, solid performer yet is very affordable. The whole kit, including replacement leafs, is around $1,200. Coupled with decent tires, you're in business.

squatnbear 06-17-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugga (Post 7040611)
Here's the thing, the extended travel kits are nice, but they're pricey. Sure, they're within your price range but dumping several thousand dollars into a suspension system you're not even sure you're going to really use seems silly. The Old Man Emu kit is a great kit and will take you a while to outgrow. Yes, there are 'better' kits out there but the OME kit is a good, solid performer yet is very affordable. The whole kit, including replacement leafs, is around $1,200. Coupled with decent tires, you're in business.

What he said!!!

Mainmoe02 06-17-2013 03:28 PM

If your looking for the "BEST" in suspension then you can EASILY spend $5K. But if you want a GOOD suspension then your prob gonna spend around $1.5K. The Old Man Emu set up is nice, or Bilsteins with eibachs and new leaf springs (this is what I have, about $1050). More expensive is adjustable Coilovers that come pre-assembled...here are some popular brands = Fox, King, ICON. Check out some off road websites, then sites like Down South Motorsports or ToyTec, among many other, can help you order.

I wish I had 5K to put in my truck all at once... It be like CHRISTMAS!!!

Have fun! Post pics

Oops, should have read the post before me. Didn't mean to repeat everyone else;)

Pugga 06-17-2013 03:41 PM

Here's something else to consider, you're talking about off roading a brand new truck, you'll want to protect it. Figure $1.5k for an OME kit with new leaf pack and UCAs, $1k for decent tires, mounting and balancing, $800 for wheels, $500 for sliders, then you can look at other goodies like extended SS brake lines, u-bolt flip kit, any performance upgrades like an exhaust, headers, intake, URD electronic goodies, stereo upgrades, maybe some Wet Okole seat covers and Weathertech floor mats to protect the interior. You could get to $5k in a hurry with all of that stuff unless you've set aside $5k for suspension, wheels and tires and have other money to spend on the truck elsewhere.

KCDuran 06-17-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie213 (Post 7040584)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster Coma (Post 7040603)
Mid travel
Rims of choice
285/70/17 or 285/75/16 tires

Like Corey said this is perfect.... a decent NON RESI (which means cheaper --- basically) front coil-overs, rear shocks, and leaf kit will be in the range of $2k... Then get a nice decent rim and tire combo... boom! Fun stuff and youll have a new ride!

A lot of people really get what they want, I personally like Icon because of everything I've read and heard from several different vendors.

Just my opinion :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!

SDHQ OFFROAD 06-17-2013 06:05 PM

You can do a lot with $5K!

Your getting a brand new truck that rides pretty darn good out of the box. So dont scrimp on new suspension that may cause a worse ride.

Depending on how wild you want to go, or how mild. I would do this

Icon Ext. travel Coil overs non resi (unless you plan on using it every weekend and hard)
Total Chaos, Icon, or Camburg Upper Control Arm
Rear 2.0 shocks
Add a leaf
Rims/tires (17" and LT285/70/17)

Then maybe some power parts or exhaust.

All of those will be an upgrade from stock while still maintaining a stock or better than stock ride on and off-road with the 2.5" body shock and a progressive rate coil. The Icon's will be a shock that will last the life of the vehicle as they are fully rebuildable and adjustable. The UCA is rebuildable as well and let you have normal alignment with the lift and a much stronger joint.

Your gonna get more down travel, better handling, the lift and ride quality improvements.

With Wheels and tires and not even the TW discount you will have a good chunk left to play with after the set-up above, most likely at least a grand if you can install yourself.

MrGrimm 06-17-2013 06:20 PM

With $5k I would:

Sliders $500-600
Front coilovers (I would get Icon but that is my opinion) $1600
Total Chaos UCA $700
Rear leafpack and shocks (again Icon for the shocks, Allpro for the leafs) $800
better tires $1500
Get yourself a CB if you dont have one yet $150 for the entire package

Use the rest for install/labor costs

Charlie213 06-17-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm gonna shop around for the parts and work from there. I'm still shopping around for a 2013 model. Trying to get the best deal but some of these dealers are a joke. Any secrets in a getting a good deal?

KCDuran 06-17-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie213 (Post 7042700)
Thanks a bunch guys! I'm gonna shop around for the parts and work from there. I'm still shopping around for a 2013 model. Trying to get the best deal but some of these dealers are a joke. Any secrets in a getting a good deal?

Reputable dealer. SDHQ. I mean its the only vendor that's responded to your question

Spoonman 06-17-2013 11:06 PM

Spend a bit at a time on what you think you need. Start with basics. Mid travel is a decent idea. Then get deflators and a simple OBA setup. Wheel a lot and decide what you need.

No one can decide for you what you require.

HIYota 06-17-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie213 (Post 7042700)

Seems like you got a good bit if advice on the suspension. Dealer wise, my advice is dont be afraid to walk out. You'll find your truck eventually and if they want to sell you something they will work for it.

Gelo760 06-17-2013 11:22 PM

Icon stage 5

lawless 07-13-2013 01:23 PM

OP, any update?