1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

upside down steering wheel...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by darkturtleninja, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja [OP] 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    ok fellers heres one for you... perhaps somone knows how to correct this.... ok so my truck has a 6" tm drop bracket along with a body lift... somewhere along the line somebody didnt do something correctly...lol
    [​IMG]

in this picture the wheels are pointed straight ahead but as you can tell the steering wheel is not where it is supposed to be...
    the truck also turns twice as sharp to the right as it does the left...

i have thought about trying to take the steering wheel off and turn it over but im assuming it has a spline so it can only be in one spot...
    what can you guys tell me about this... surely somone has had to deal with this type of thing before

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    sliverworm

sliverworm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Offroad
    lol fail at steering.

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    Bring it back to where you had the lift installed they should be able to fix that. I don't have a clue how it happened though. Lol

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    take it to a mechanic that does alignments etc...they should be able to correct that

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    jwscoot

jwscoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mississauga, ON
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma v6 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around, add a leaf in the rear
    I've had that happen in other cars, I just pulled the steering wheel and centred (or "Centered" for you US guys) it. Don't know if you can do this with the taco tho.. it was a Mitsu

careful of the airbag wires.

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    take it to a alighnment shop

7. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:10 PM
    KoolWipTacoma

KoolWipTacoma Member

Member:
    Lynchburg Va
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco DB Cab 4x4
    lots with update soon!
    did you do your own install?....anyways turn the wheel untill your tires are straight. then take it apart at the stering extention thats part of you lift kit and after you get it apart turn your wheel back where it suppost to be. just make sure you can turn the wheel the same amount of time left as you can to the right to make sure its centered. and then put the extention back together. i think this should fix your problem...... unless somthing else is wrong.

8. Mar 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    You can fix it yourself, but you'll need a steering wheel puller and you have to be careful. There's what Toyota calls a "spiral cable" behind the wheel, it's for the airbag. It's easy to screw it up.

I'd go with other's advice...alignment shop.

9. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:30 PM
    darkturtleninja

darkturtleninja [OP] 9th level dungeon master

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    95 2.7 3rz turd
    cold air intake, body lift, suspension lift.
    ive actually been told this before but i was kinda confused.... and i dont know what part of it to take apart... i assume once i get the extension apart i can turn the wheel to the right untill it is in the upright position and i think that would do the trick.... im just not sure where to disconnect it.... perhaps chris4x4 would know... or some other lift experts....

i did not do the lift... i bought the truck lifted... so im guessing whoever did it just didnt have the wheels straight when they did it.... for me its not too hard to believe... everything else on the truck looked like it was done by a complete fucktard....

Products Discussed in

To Top