1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OME 881s or 882s with a 4cyl?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by thenrie, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Jun 3, 2009 at 8:11 AM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    I hate to rehash this, since this topic has been covered ad-nauseum, but I haven't found any info dealing specifically with 882s and a 4-banger.

I just installed Bil 5100s on the front of my '00 Tacoma and only got 1.5" lift on the 2.5" setting, indicating my stock springs have settled quite a bit, after 135K miles. The plan is to add OME springs along with a front bumper from either Schrockworks (118lbs) or an ARB Bullbar (+/- 80 lbs), winch, and a high-lift jack mounted on the front bumper, in the next several months. Skid plates and sliders will come eventually.

Chris4X4 has recommeded 882s over 881s for such a setup, but he was referring to a Tacoma with a 3.4L and a crewcab. I do not do any crazy rock climbing, but I want a rig that will get me where I want to go and back, however most of my driving is on the road. Would you recommend the 882s with a 2.7L extended cab, and the above bumper and equipment, or will 881s do the job?

Keep in mind I have Bil 5100s and can adjust them up or down as needed. I am thinking of going with the 881s and adjusting the 5100s up if the bumper makes them settle. I don't want to overspring and make my road driving too harsh, but then I like a truck to feel like a truck. What do you think?

2. Jun 3, 2009 at 10:47 AM
    22b22

22b22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern California - East Bay
    Vehicle:
    03 DoubleCab PreRunner TRD SR5
    OME 881/N91S - front Wheeler 5-pack/N85 - rear
    I went with the 881's with my V6 to get a softer ride for street use as it is a daily driver. I wasn't concerned with lift - a level look with a good street ride is more important.

In your case, you are looking for lift. The 882s have a higher spring rate, so they are stiffer and will also yield a quarter to half an inch greater lift with a v-6, so it's possible it will put you a little higher.

If you contact Wheeler's or Toytec, they should be able to give you approximate settled lift heights.

3. Jun 4, 2009 at 7:23 AM
    thenrie

thenrie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Stafford, VA
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma, SR5, TRD, 2.7L (LEV), 4wd, 5sp m
    Magnaflow cat and cat-back exhaust, AFE Stage 2 cold-air intake system, 2.5" lift via Skyjacker leaf packs, Bilstein 5100s.
    Thanks. I'll talk to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top