1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear Diff Lock...??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sandman427, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Jun 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    Ay guys I'm thinking about getting that rear diff lock for the truck... But my only problem is I'm not really sure what its general purpose is...??? I hear it helps but i really haven't come across a straight answer of what it is...?? If y'all could help me it would be coo also if there really is a need for it..??

2. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:06 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    sand mainly hard not soft.... mud depending on if it rains lol... Isnt that the purpose of the LSD...???

3. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:08 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Essentially it doesn't allow either wheel to spin while the other remains stationary. Locks out the differential action and makes it like an ATV axle. Ehh it's nice to have but probably not worth the cost to put one on. How much are you spending to have this installed by the way? I can tell you from my own experience with my truck that it is only usable at low speeds as it states on the door that you should only operate it at speeds around 5mph. It's definitely not 4wheel drive but I its the next best thing.

4. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:14 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    haven't really checked yet to be honest... i just wanted to know first if it was gonna be useful or necessary before i went out and looked but it looks like that for me at least it might not be that necessary.... you think it would be useful or necessary to have if i lets say go to pismo with it..??

5. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:21 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Sure, it would be useful at pismo. Proper tire pressure would be the necessary part considering that kind of driving. It's up to you man but I think a nice set of All Terrain or Mud Terrain tires at the right air pressure will get you nearly the same performance.

6. Jun 8, 2009 at 12:26 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    coo thanks... i appreciate the help....

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    You want to get it but don't know what it does?

Maybe I'm off base here, but if you needed it, wouldn't you know?

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:05 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    very true... thats why i asked... a lot of people have been telling me the general purpose but really haven't got a straight answer... but your right tho... i guess Im just trying to find it what it is then really buying it you know.... cuz if Im getting this right its like an LSD or am I completely off...???

9. Jun 8, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Why is this in the suspension forum?

10. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:01 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    A rear diff lock locks the rear axle. A LSD is a Limited Slip Differential. The rear diff lock is manually activated and the LSD automatcially engages and disengages. The rear diff lock can only be engaged in 4LO (unless you mod the electrical system). The LSD operates in any condition: ie, rain, snow, 2WD-4LO.

So yes, the LSD is similar to the rear diff lock in what it does. The conditions in which they operate are the main differences.

If you are doing a lot of crawling or slow approach 4WD, then I would suggest a locker. If you are doing a lot of mudding, or faster paced 4WD, then I would suggest a LSD.

11. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:26 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    In a limited slip differential (LSD) there are friction plates/springs/stuff to encourage both wheels to turn at the same rate, but as the axle shafts on either side of the differential are not mechanically bound to one another they do have the ability to turn at different rates.

An electronic locker like what comes with the TRD Offroad package can be turned on and off. Off = open differential. On = true locked differential, which functions the same as a spool. Spools have no spider gears -- the ring gear drives a simple shaft into which the two axles shafts are inserted. Virtually unbreakable offroad but terrible on dry pavement.

Standard lockers (Detroit, for instance) try to balance offroad and onroad performance in an automated fashion by locking and unlocking based on the forces exerting the most leverage on the differential. If the driveline is applying power (acceleration), the locker engages and the differential locks solid. If the ground is applying power (coasting), the teeth disengage and the differential opens. The trick with this is to know how and when things will lock up and anticipate it or your vehicle will do some weird things. Basically, let off the gas around turns and apply power once you're straight and things will be fine.

If you're stuck offroad and have 1 wheel off the ground, the limited slip will work the same as an open differential and allows the wheel without traction to spin while the wheel with all the traction just sits there. With a locker you'd have both wheels spinning so you'd be more likely either to get unstuck or dig yourself deeper. ;)

There are tricks you can play by applying the brakes with the gas with a LSD to make it act more like a locker, but it will never get the same performance as a true locker.

12. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    Ok, so I essentially reposted from 98tacoma27. :eek:

13. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Yes, but it was much more eloquent. It made me cry it was so beautiful. :p

14. Jun 8, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    sandman427

sandman427 [OP] KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    yes very eloquent..!! thanks a lot fellas looks like my ass aint getting it... and to be honest i dont know why its in this forum my bad db67fm.... it makes a lot more sense now....

15. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    BorderTaco

BorderTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Laredo, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner DC SR5 2wd
    Frontier brush Guard Westin Nerf Bars 16" Nitto Terra Grapplers
    I have a 2007 SR5 Pre Runner 2WD open diff and I want to get a locke (not E or ARB)r. What would be the best for the money with the best performance. My off roading will be minimal but I want something easy and reliable. Thanks

16. Apr 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    Sparky4.0

Sparky4.0 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    WestTexas
    Vehicle:
    01 trd beat to hell
    look into lunchbox lockers then

17. Apr 20, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    BorderTaco

BorderTaco New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Laredo, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Pre Runner DC SR5 2wd
    Frontier brush Guard Westin Nerf Bars 16" Nitto Terra Grapplers
    Any Suggestions? Aussie? Thanks

18. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM
    Hunter423

Hunter423 Hunter423

Member:
    First Name:
    hunter
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma TRD off road
    brush guard, piaa foggs, tinted tail light, tinted windows, rain guards, pure white with blue tinted bulbd all over, white bulbs for licencess plate lighting, blacked out head lights
    iv got 4x4 with the rear locker i love it i off road lot and its def come in handy alot especially on harder trials

19. Apr 20, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    e-locker.. great write up on the install here:

20. Apr 20, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    TacoOwner?

TacoOwner? Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joshua
    Camas/Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 Double Cab 6M
    Anti-thief tailgate, anytime rear-view camera, anytime locker mod
    I disagree, a locker is worth it. Depending on what the intentions are with the truck. Also the reason the doors tells you that you can only operate it at slow speeds is because you are in 4lo and they dont want you to blow the tranny. With the locker mod you can run it in 2hi 4hi 4lo and you can go over 5mph. I would not recommend driving on pavement/hard surfaces or turning on those surfaces when locked.

Josh

Products Discussed in

To Top