1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4 inch lift help!

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by archerytarget, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Jul 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget [OP] BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    :confused: im wanting to install a 4 inch lift on my first gen and im really starting to get stressed out with trying to figure out what all i need to get for it and where (price is a big issue too) :(. can someone please help me out about all of the specs and parts that i need? i need to figure out about whether i really need to get new UCAs (not sure if ive got the cash for all that) and fix alignment issues and whatever other complications there may be. i also thought at first i would do a spacer lift, but now im looking possibly at a 4 inch coilover lift (if there is such a thing). ive heard things here and there about the adjustable bilsteins, and maybe thats what i need to get..can someone please help me out? ive been looking at lifts and parts for about a year now and im ready to finally get it and install it and put that all behind me so i can enjoy it..
    i know that there is info about this in the search but its so scattered and opinions seem to differ more and more so i just wanted to ask yall..

thanks in advance everyone.

2. Jul 26, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    archerytarget

archerytarget [OP] BTHOB

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    01 PreRunner SR5
    Brush guard, KC HiLites SlimLites, Chrome tube side steps, Deck plate mod, Cobra 19 Ultra III, 2' cb antenna, Painted black stock wheels, TSC toolbox, Sprayed-on bedliner, Trailer hitch, Homemade headache rack with rear lights, spidertrax spacers, 3" OME coilover lift
    could i do a 3.5" lift with these? what else would i need to do in the rear to level it out? (all of these from toytec)

Toytec adjustable coilver kit with bilstein shocks
    Rear bilstein shocks
    Rear toytec AALs

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:14 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    3" is MAX on the coilovers because your ride will suck and your CV's will hate you. 4" lift will have to be 3" coilovers plus 1" BL or 2" coilovers plus 2" BL or ProComps 4" drop bracket kit. Ideally anything pass 3" you will have to look at a drop bracket kit. 3" suspension is max unless you want to add a inch or two body lift.

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:19 AM
    KMN-BLU

KMN-BLU less work/more play

Member:
    Destin, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    I lifted 4" with Camburg Coil Overs and UCAs. It states it a 3-3.5" lift but you can crank them up higher My ride dont suck as a result. I even went with larger firmer valving that is for a Tundra due to wanting a heavier bumper. My CVs have slight angles but nothing that Im worried about. They arent tweaked out at greater than 30% angles.

You have a prerunner. Why not just do 4" Camburg Spindles up front and be done with it.

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    Since you are a prerunner you should look into aftermarket spindles such as TC or Camburg. Spindles are more than likely the best option for 2wd looking for around 4 inches of lift.

Sorry, just read post above

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    cranked up coilovers on a 2001 will suck for you onroad and off...

completely different ride between the newer body tacos and older generation...

your best bet is to hit up those who have the same year you have and have been running the various available lifts...

on an older body taco, if you go with a drop bracket 4" lift, you are looking at almost $2,000 for the lift, then figure another $1,000 for proportionate tires...

then, with such a small motor, you will drop another $700 to $900 for regearing due to the increased tire size... on the 2001, you likely will not need to do an aftermarket UCA... you just need to know what alignment degrees to have your alignment set to...

if money is a factor in your decision, consider sticking to a 3" coilover lift and call it a day...

Products Discussed in

To Top