1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TSB 07' Tacoma Rear Leaf Springs?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by mclough1, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Dec 26, 2007 at 10:23 PM
    mclough1

mclough1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07' Tacoma 4x4 TRD Dbl. Cab V6
    My 07' Tacoma TRD 4x4 Dbl. Cab SB is experiencing the rear suspension bottoming out with little or no weight in the back.
    Does anyone else have this problem as it just started doing it after hauling my Utility Trailer with two Motorcycles.
    At first I thought the Gas Bilstein Shocks were blown, but after seeing posts on this website in regards to Toyota TSB's on the rear leaf springs, hmmmm......
    I haven't received any notice or recalls about this since I bought the truck new in February 07'.
    Is Toyota in the process of putting this in their 07' TSB or is this just a word of mouth situation?
    I am going to call the Dealer tommorow and see what they say and perhaps take the truck in.
    Does anyone know on how I can download any info in regards to this so I can take this info in hand to the dealer?
    Thanks, Marty

2. Dec 27, 2007 at 7:11 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    You won't get any notice about the TSB. It's only if you call the dealer and complain.

I have an 07 TRD Sport and I got the TSB done to my truck about 4 weeks ago.

Definately get it done!

Here's the TSB itself and although it says 05-06, it does include 07's and 08's.
    http://www.lieblweb.com/2007Tacoma/LeafSpringTSB.pdf

3. Dec 27, 2007 at 8:40 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Access Cab 2.7L Impulse Red
    Finally called the dealer about this yesterday, took it in today for the 5000 mile check and stuff and armed with the TSB.

Dealer acted like he didnt know what the TSB was about, I explained the situation, he said hed look into it when they were doing my oil change and other stuff.

There is NO need for them to inspect anything, if you have Taco and you complain about the squishy ride, as long as you have the TSB in hand, they can't argu it.

Parts ordered, should be in Next Monday. :)

I was looking at a Tundra in the showroom, and really like the size of that beast, when the service manager comes out and trys to talk me out of the TSB. "If you do this, it will ride hard like a 1 ton" its a truck, its suppsoed to be a little stiff, heance so you can haul junk, thats why most people buy them. I told him I wasnt worried about it as my old 99 Ranger rode stiffer than the Taco does.

I'll let ya all know how it goes. :)

- Mike

4. Dec 27, 2007 at 3:53 PM
    Saguaro

Saguaro Member

Member:
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 V6 6-spd 4WD Access Cab, TRD Off-Road Package, Super White, Suspension TSB
    I had my springs changed under the TSB. The ride is not that much harsher than before, only a little stiffer. Make sure you get a free alignment when you get the springs changed. It is part of the TSB.

5. Dec 27, 2007 at 4:05 PM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I saw that in there. I'll make sure its done at their expense.

Thanks for the heads up.

I don't expect the ride to be much more firm, I expect it to ride like a truck. :)

- Mike

6. Dec 27, 2007 at 10:11 PM
    Urb

Urb Member

Member:
    Phoenix Az
    Seat Covers
    Janster,

Thanks for the link!;) I took mine in this week after having my bed bottom out with 20 bags of fertilizer. I had to argue with the service adviser even after showing him the TSB. It was supposed to be done today but he called and told me they did not order the u-bolts for the new springs. I even showed him the parts list and he still screwed it up. Thanks again for the link;)

7. Dec 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM
    mclough1

mclough1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for the info, I was ready to go buy add a leafs or air bags but not now that I've found that it's being covered by Toyota through a TSB, whoa nelly!!!
    Jeez, after shelling out $27K for the truck and getting the TRD package I was getting dissappointed with the suspension sagging , I'm glad I did a little research on the Internet and found this website - TacomaWorld - cool!
    I called four dealers here in the Portland, Oregon area and everyone had a different story in regards to the TSB.
    Being a mechanic, I didn't swallow any of their "TBS" - "total bull shi!!".
    After showing a sevice rep the printed out TBS, to which he said, "where did you get that?", golly jee whiz, then he's asking me when would be a good time to make an inspection appointment.
    Dealers don't like TSB's or warranty work because their is 0 profit in it for them so they play "dodgeball".
    Anyway, thanks again everyone who replied to this thread and pointed out the TSB.
    Marty

8. Dec 31, 2007 at 11:15 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I was under a different impression... I thought they did get paid for warrantee work, it's just not as much as regular service. So - if their engine bays are empty, they'll drool over the oppurtunity to do warrantee work to bring in a few bucks. Versus....'turning down' regular service (more profits) to do warrantee work.

I hope you're able to find someone willing to do it for you. I was lucky and didn't have any questions.... :D

9. Jan 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM
    ellsworth

ellsworth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Buffalo
    Vehicle:
    08' off rd 6 speed
    6 inch Fabtech, st stabilizers, 18x9 DC -1s 305/65/18 bfg at's
    technical service bulletins are not sent to owners of cars..Recalls are not technical service bulletins and tsb's are not recalls. A recall is uaualy a safety issue concerning crash data and safety void insights..A tsb is actualy something to aid diagnosis in a problem that is common amongst a product. Usualy a manufacturer produces a TSB to help the repair techs avoid wasting time doing unecesary diagnostics..Dealers make money from doing tsb's and recalls its just not the vehicle owner paying the bill its the manufacturer. Actualy, a manufacturer is the dealers largest customer if you want to get down to brass tacks...

10. Jan 8, 2008 at 7:52 PM
    mclough1

mclough1 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Just got my truck back tonight and had the rear leafs springs R&Red along with the alignment.
    Beaverton Toyota (Oregon) came through big time and thanks to George Stravackas, (assistant service manager) got it done in two days!!!!
    Turns out the parts were all there except for one bolt, which he got the next day.
    What happened is that someone also needed their truck done but never came back after arranging an appointment and getting the parts ordered.
    His loss - my gain!!!!
    The truck now drives like it should have with the TRD package - firm yet resistant to bottoming - no wallowing.
    I'm now one happy camper!!! :D thanks Toyota!
    Marty

11. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:10 PM
    ccmacon

ccmacon Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 double cab white
    Hi ! great forum, 07 tacoma 4x4 d cab not TRD. got TSB done this week ,no problem, question is did they install right parts , 4 new blk. shocks an 3 leaf springs, thought they were to be replaced with 4 leaf ? thanks

12. Jan 12, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    they are supposed to be 4 leaf packs. you might wanna point that out to them. people were saying in here that some parts were mislabeled in boxes and one guy on here got a 4 pack on one side and a 3 pack on the other. make sure there's 3 up and 1 down....and if there isnt, then i'd take it back and show them on the tsb where its supposed to be a 4 pack

13. Jan 12, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    ccmacon

ccmacon Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 double cab white
    Thanks, Ill take it back mon.

14. Jan 13, 2008 at 8:57 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    TSB rear leaf springs DENIED!
    Since mine is a NON-4x4 or Pre-Runner, regonal service rep says no.

Looks like I'll have to buy some add a leaf kits and my own shocks and struts.

Sad part is, my 99 Mazda B2500 (basically a Ranger) with 190k miles on it, had a better suspension than my brand new taco. :(

Also DENIED the tailgate replacement. You have to wait for it to bend BEFORE they will replace it. And its only covered if it happens within 3 years or 36K miles from the time it went into service.

15. Jan 13, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    TacoSter

TacoSter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago Burbs
    Vehicle:
    Had 08 taco, in a 4runner now
    Did pauly dealer tell you this? Try a different dealer & bend the gate before you go

16. Jan 13, 2008 at 8:07 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    yeah...i think that even on the tsb it says that it has to be a minimum of an sr5 to get the suspension upgrade

17. Jan 14, 2008 at 4:55 AM
    GTiVR6r

GTiVR6r Big Cat Chew Toy

Member:
    Carpentersville, IL
    Vehicle:
    Mine IS an SR5.

They looked at the VIN# and wheels size to make the call.

I'll order some 16s in the spring and try again.

18. Jan 14, 2008 at 12:00 PM
    ccmacon

ccmacon Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 double cab white
    In answer to my own post [7 back ] went an talked to service manager today he said parts ordered wrong stuff,will order 4 leaf an shocks an install on wed. will see thanks

19. Jan 15, 2008 at 3:34 PM
    dan_o_89_rs

dan_o_89_rs Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 2x4
    STOCK
    that's so weird. im not real familiar with the tsb situation or even what it stands for. BUT my mother's '08 prerunner rides like a wagon (stiff); well stiff in the back pretty smooth up front.

20. Jan 18, 2008 at 6:00 PM
    ccmacon

ccmacon Member

Member:
    Corpus Christi
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 double cab white
    Champion Toyota of Corpus Christi have screwed up the TSB again, got the right springs but forgot to replace shocks . "I" gave the service mananger the TSB guess I need to order parts myself,left truck 3 times still not right.
    I bought it in Laredo 135 miles away guess need to go back there for service. sorry had to vent nit happy with my TACO .DO NOT trade at Champion of Corpus Christi.

Products Discussed in

To Top