1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

upgrading stock shocks

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mac2118, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:11 PM
    Mac2118

Mac2118 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    I live around alot of old dirt roads in my part of PA, and sometimes the rear end loves to kick out and go sideways on the bumpy back roads. Sure it's fun, but it gets annoying after awhile... so much I won't go on any Interstates with the truck for fear that I would hit a crazy bump and have the truck bounce and kick out. I was looking at upgrading the rear suspension of the vehicle, mainly the shocks for now.

My truck is a 2001 Tacoma SR5 with 154k miles (It probably has the stock shocks and clutch for all I know). As far as I know, I have no lift on the vehicle. I looked between the frame and body and there are no spacers and the suspension looks very stock. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100 series after searching on here and reading everyones input and liking them. The only reason my truck looks higher is because I'm running Firestone Destination M/T 265/85/R16's

I'm new to modding trucks. Since I have the stock height, should I look at any particular type of shock? From working on tuner cars it was a shock was a shock no matter how stock or lowered your car is. Or since I'm stock would I be better off just getting a regular shock that's not as fancy? I'm not looking for anything adjustable, just shocks shocks. When I was searching I saw that alot of places would say "use this if you have this lift, or use that for that lift"

When I drive I go on and offroad, I like to play in the mud a bit, I don't do any hillclimbs or rock climbing, so I won't need anything insane.

2. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    imsikotic

imsikotic If u cant stand behind our troops. Stand in front

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport DesertRunner
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
    The 5100 would be a good choice for you. Nothing crazy and not expensive.

3. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    Mac2118

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    So if I go with the 5100, I would just buy the left and right? I wouldn't have to get a specific model because I'm not lifted?

4. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    4" Camburg Race Spindles and Icon 2.5" ext travel Coilovers in the front for about 5"of lift and for the rear All-Pro 3" leaf pack and Fox 2.0 Resi's converted to piggyback and custom valved by DownSouth Motorsports. 17x9" KMC XD Addicts w/ 4.5 inch Backspacing and -12 Offset. Wrangler Duratracs 285/70/17. K&N CAI, Exhaust, Carriage Works Billet Grill, Custom Bed bar with ProComp fog lights,DirtKing Fabrication front bumper w/ 3 HID converted Hellas, Demello rear PreRunner bumper, Tinted windows, Full System w/ 2 10s, Garmin 265WT, ClearHLM. Theres more I just cant think of it right now.
  5. Sep 2, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    Mac2118

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma SR5
    thanks for the info!

6. Sep 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM
    imsikotic

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Temecula, Ca
    Vehicle:
    No problem buddy. I hope I was able to help you out.

Products Discussed in

To Top