Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Test for axle wrap (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/54094-test-axle-wrap.html)

machman 09-27-2009 06:22 PM

Test for axle wrap
 
I have been troubled by the supposed axle wrap issue. I was very skeptical that the thump/clunk issue was related to the leaf springs. I was certain that it was related to the transmission or slack in the drivetrain.

Well today I took C-clamps and clamped the leaf springs to the overload about 4-5 inches infront of and behind the axle and took it for a drive. Guess what??? The thump/clunk was DRASTICALY reduced. This proves that my "thump/clunk" is directly related to axle wrap. BTW, it rode pretty bad like this.

What is weird is that some trucks have this issue and some don't. I wonder if Toyota has different plants that make thier leaf springs.

I don't want to raise my truck. It looks like either new (stock hight) springs or traction bars for me....eventually. I have been leaning toward making my own traction links. I was wonding about a single link on the driver side that is mounted to the forward leaf spring mount and a mount welded onto the axle.:notsure:

Racer78 12-06-2009 12:08 PM

Clunk?
 
Hey, thanks for the info. I have an issue too. Are you talking about when your driving and lift of the gas and coast long enough to "unload" the tranny and then get back on the gas and there is a clunk when reloading or spooling up the transmission? Thats what I have right now. It feels like a bad tranny mount but the dealer said its fine? I was thinking of having the fluids flushed and replaced?

Brunes 12-06-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer78 (Post 1186245)
Hey, thanks for the info. I have an issue too. Are you talking about when your driving and lift of the gas and coast long enough to "unload" the tranny and then get back on the gas and there is a clunk when reloading or spooling up the transmission? Thats what I have right now. It feels like a bad tranny mount but the dealer said its fine? I was thinking of having the fluids flushed and replaced?

Yeah...That sounds like axle wrap....It occurs as the torque forces from the drivetrain twist the axle housing....It curves the springs for and aft insted of up and down....so it'll load and unload with that clunk.

fauskar 12-07-2009 05:24 AM

Just did an "AAL" and my axle warp has been reduced significantly. Not gone all together but much better.

machman 12-07-2009 02:38 PM

I have since decided to probably go with a AAL and some 5100's on the front to raise the front proportionaly.

machman 12-07-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fauskar (Post 1188863)
Just did an "AAL" and my axle warp has been reduced significantly. Not gone all together but much better.

Which AAL did you go with and how much did it raise your rear? What year is your truck? Did you go anything with the front?

Racer78 12-08-2009 05:37 AM

I did the Bilstiens all around set at 1.75 up front and a Fabtech 1.5 AAL and have these issues. The Fabtec's squeak like mad if I dont lube them once a week. I need to replace them with ones with pads..

So, would shims help with the wrap or is there something elso that can be done?

Thanks

fauskar 12-08-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machman (Post 1190783)
Which AAL did you go with and how much did it raise your rear? What year is your truck? Did you go anything with the front?

09' Access, 4L, 6sp manual, 4X4, Toytec 2" - Raised rear 2" exactly. Before F/R:34"/36" and after: 34"38". Nothing done to raise front. I going to let the AAL settle over the winter first and then re-evaluate.

But yes, the axle wrap did settle down nicely. I noticed it mostly while backing up hill out of the driveway. When I let out in the clutch nera the top the axle would wrap noticeably.

yfz450admirer 12-15-2009 11:25 PM

I have heard that dynachrome helper springs from autozone put on backwards can help.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 AM.