1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SAW Coilovers too stiff

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sachou, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    sachou

sachou [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport Acc Cab 4x4 V6 6spd
    Hello Tacomaworld!

I'm proud to finally be able to join your community, as I have just purchased a 1999 3rz Tacoma.

I bought it off a guy who had already done several mods, the ones I'm addressing in this thread are:

2.5 inch Sway Away Racerunner Coilovers, probably a 650lb spring
    Alcan Add-a-leafs
    Procomp? Rear shocks
    BF Goodrich Mud Terrain 32x12.5

My previous vehicle was a 1989 Toyota Corolla, and I had drove it as a vehicle headed to the junkyard, offroading the crap out of it, doing ghetto suspension spacer lifts, coil spring swaps from other cars, etc.

I just took my new Tacoma offroad in the desert where I live over some woops, etc. and have completely broken my back due to the waaay to stiff suspension.

I bought this truck with intentions of using it as a daily driver, with light desert offroading on the weekends/build a Prerunner truck.

Searches through the internet, and this forum tell me that the Sway aways are a great upgrade, but my experiences tell me otherwise.

Is this how truck suspension is supposed to be? My Corolla was twice as soft, and could take bumps, but the blown shocks made it a bouncy ride, though not nearly as stiff and miserable as my new truck.

Should I put in softer springs? Can I revalve the suspension? I understand SCORE/Baja 1000 Prerunners are built with stiff rear ends, and soft front ends. How would I mimic this behavior on a budget?

I intend on taking the 32's off and putting on smaller tires, as I don't need giant power stealers.

Thanks!

2. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Welcome to TW!

Check the spring, and see what spring rate it is. You should see a series of number on the side one of the coil winds. Post it up, and I can tell you the spring rate.

3. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    sachou

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    Holy crap that was a fast reply.

I'm at work right now, so I can't tell you for another few hours, but I just wanted to add that the truck already has an allpro front bumper, with a 9k pound warn winch (I think), and the coilovers still have a lot of room for lift.

4. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:57 AM
    BlissTaco

BlissTaco 2022 TRD Offroad

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    22 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Kings, Method 701, Toyo AT3 285/70R17, interior/license LED's, tonneau cover, Subaru tweeters
    I was looking into the SAWS and was told this regarding the difference between the 2.0 and the 2.5,

"The 2.5 have a high flow linear valve set in the piston. This makes them very off road capable, but not as smooth on the street. The Icons and the Sway Away 2.0" shocks have a digressive piston. This makes them smoother on the street, but still very off road capable."

So the 2.5 are probably a bit stiff, but are going to hold up better if you are mashing.

5. Sep 30, 2009 at 11:58 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ok. Well, the standard spring rate is 650#, and that is about 150# more than what your OEM spring is. It will be more firm on and off road. They may need a rebuild too.

6. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM
    sachou

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    Okay, well is it common for people to replace the springs with softer ones, closer to stock, to accomodate for more travel? I might even get some prerunner flared fenders eventually.

I have tried looking up prerunner build information, but everything I come up with is complete front end rebuilds designed for serious offroading.

I know they don't *need* a rebuild, as the guy just put them in a year ago and drove it on the street, and even then very sparingly.

I don't care about performance on the street, as my corolla bounced 5 or more times over speed bumps, ANY shock absorbsion would be an upgrade for me.

7. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    EDIT: half ass reader
    also depends on the guy who used them before you, if he was using it in the dirt all the time, they might need to be filled with some juuuice :D

8. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well....If you use a softer spring rate, the front end will sag down more. Especially with an aftermarket bumper.

9. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    sachou

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    ...which is why i have the coilovers cranked up to accomodate....right?

Is this all just a horrible idea, and I'm going to screw up my truck, or is any of this making sense?

I'm not too worried about the height of the truck, I just want it to be softer, and subsequently have longer travel.

10. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    sachou

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    No, he mainly drove it on the street...I think he did all those upgrades just to look cool.

Would that mean I should take some fluid out?

11. Sep 30, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Well....A softer spring is going to lower the truck. You may be able to drop down to a 600# spring, and add some preload to it, and see how that works.

12. Sep 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    woods247

woods247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    back yonder
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab 4x4
    SAWs front, Fox resi rear, Total Chaos UCAs, 17" BBS RD-Truck FJ Rims with 255 BFG KM2s, TRD exhaust/intake, OME Springs, All-Pro flip kit, Timbren rear bumpstops, custom spare carrier, All-Pro skids, Beefed Sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Warn M8000 w/Synth MasterPull line, Procomp 30" LED lightbar, Bestop Soft topper, Safari Snorkel, CBI Bushmaster (custom), Baja Racks Utility rack, All Pro custom bed rack, Leer 100XQ
    How far did you crank down the collars? I have a set of 2.0s that came with defective springs. This was determined because I had to crank the collars down 3.5" to achive a 2.5" lift. This resulted in a horrible ride. Sway A Way sent replacement springs from Eibach that should correct the stiffness problem. I haven't had time to install so I cannot comment. According to them, I should only need to crank the collars 1.5" (drive side) to achieve the lift I want. You should also check to make sure the nitrogen is fully charged. on the 2.0s it's 200psi. i'm not sure about the 2.5s. My nitrogen levels were low and correcting the pressure made a noticable differance in ride quality. They have great support so don't hesitate to call them. http://www.swayaway.com/

13. Oct 2, 2009 at 12:40 AM
    sachou

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Richland, Washington
    Vehicle:
    My springs are 650lbs (13 650 A/3), (and my inner 2 CV boots are ripped...damn!)

So I've been looking at Total Chaos, and I must say, I didn't know anybody made good bolt-on long travel kits...too bad I can't afford it anymore.

Upon further investigation, I found a buildup here: http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/article/total-chaos-long-travel-front-suspension/

He used 2.5"x8" stroke swayaways, with 16", 500lb springs.

So it seems to me that I need softer springs.

Of course I'm not going to buy the total chaos kit, or expensive flare fenders, but I now have a place to start my buildup.

I want to get rid of the power stealing 32x11.5 mud terrains and possibly get 30x9.5 all terrains, so clearing the fenders should not be a big issue anymore (these tires only have to travel 1.5" to rub the fender!).

Questions:
    Many of the trucks I looked up use 2.5" SAWs with 8" stroke, I have models SAW-56000-108-5LT, and nowhere lists the stroke, anybody know?

The springs on right now are 13", but it seems nowhere sells 13"s, not even swayaway, could I fit 14's? Or should i go with 12"?

Could I go down to 550# springs with 30" tires, and lower the collars (to lift the truck) without rubbing the tires or ruining the cv joints? (I have the 3rz)

Would I need limiting straps?

Thank you all for your help.

14. Oct 2, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    A 14" 550# spring might work well for ya. Also, the SAW's you have are about 4" stroke.

Products Discussed in

To Top