1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are my shocks leaking??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rzimm001, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Bought some second hand Icon shocks for the front of my taco. They look good but one of them might need to be refurbished. If you look by the shock rod there's dampness on one and not on the other. Is this normal or not? How I can tell if it's worth doing something about it without actually installing the shocks? Any suggestions would be awesome.

2. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  3. Oct 18, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    When I get home after work I will post some. Thanks Chris

4. Oct 18, 2009 at 4:26 PM
    mikesdoublecab

mikesdoublecab LT Chase Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Mohawk Mike
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 Tacoma DoubleCab V6 Prerunner
    Engage Offroad long travel front and rear with some fat tires.
    considering where you live, take a drive to Icon and have them rebuilt before installing them...

you never really know how hard the previous owner drove them and to have them rebuilt back to almost new, it could be well worth the money...

:headbang:

5. Oct 18, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    x2

Getting them rebuilt is a drop in the bucket compared to the hassel of getting it all installed and then you have an issue. A rebuild will run you in the range of 70-100 bucks usually.

6. Oct 18, 2009 at 4:45 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Totally agree. I'm not going to even worry about it. I'll drive up to cronona and have it taken care of. Thanks guys:thumbsup:

7. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Here is a picture of the leaky one and the one which doesn't appear to be leaking. What do you think???

Shock 1.jpg
    Shock 2.jpg

8. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Rebuild.

9. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:39 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:

I had a feeling:cool:. Thanks Chris I'll be doing that first thing :D

10. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:48 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 [OP] Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    Can I ask why a shock might break down and start leaking so I don't get them rebuilt and then screw them up myself?? Is this a result of jumping or just time?

11. Oct 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Depending on use, most, if not all, CO's need a rebuild every 1 to 2 years.

Products Discussed in

To Top