1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Poll: UCA upgrade and ride

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by timswheelin, Oct 24, 2009.

?

Your 3" Lift (any type) and UCA's: hows your ride?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2009.
  1. Stock UCA's - rides great!

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. Stock UCA's - not so good a ride, want to upgrade...

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. Aftermarket UCA's - rides great!

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  4. Aftermarket UCA's - should have spent $ on something else...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Oct 24, 2009 at 2:49 PM
    timswheelin

timswheelin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Double Cab
    Stock! but not for long...
    Greetings! My first post here. I have been lurking on the forums for a couple of months contemplating a 3 inch lift and other fun goodies, as well as enjoying reading all the great stuff everyone has to share. I’ve decided to go forward with the 3 inch lift. After tons of thread readings I got really confused because so many people seem to think a UCA replacement is necessary if you don’t want to have a truck that wanders, loose steering, et…

I have spoken with reps from 4 different manufacturers/retailers who make or sell them and they ALL say that it’s not necessary to replace them with this lift AND have a vehicle that drives/handles correctly and comfortably (now we’re talking light use here, not bottom-dropping serious OR stuff).

So… why are they NOT trying to sell these when so many people here insist they are highly recommended. Please Post your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks and glad to be posting! Tim
    P.S. Totally unscientific and very subjective poll here, but hey, polls are fun right!

2. Oct 24, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    At 3" lift, the alignment is going to be at the max end of the spectrum. For example, Toe may be 0*, but Camber will be close to 1*, and Caster will be below 1*. Sure, your truck will Drive ok. NUT, it will wear tires faster, and be prone to wandering, or bumpsteer. I recomend them, as Being as you spent extra money to buy a Toyota, it would be in the trucks best interest to spend a little more on the suspension and have it be returned back to the geometry in which it was engineered to have.

3. Oct 24, 2009 at 4:15 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    it way buy far the best buy for me when i bought my LR uca's. my truck rides so much batter and handles a lot better too. aftermarket uca's all the way!

4. Oct 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM
    straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    if you want some cheap priced uca's Camburg makes balljoint style ones that will save you $$ vs uniball style and they also corect alignment issues that happen when lifting a truck when i first had my truck i had toytec coilovers on my taco and had them cranked up too high and broke the seal on my ball joints

5. Oct 24, 2009 at 5:31 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Your poll should probably state ''stock UCAs, how does it handle'', instead of ride. The effect on ride will be minimal, the handling of the truck at highway speeds is where you will feel a drastic difference.

6. Oct 24, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    timswheelin

timswheelin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Double Cab
    Stock! but not for long...
    Thanks for the input. What you've suggested is precisely what i meant so those taking the poll please note that HANDLING is what was meant by RIDE. :)

7. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    spend the xtra,and do it right.sounds like the lrucas r the ones for u.good luck.

8. Oct 25, 2009 at 6:08 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i wouldnt know i have never ridden in a truck with aftermarket ucas soooo my stock ones ride great!

9. Oct 25, 2009 at 11:52 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    Do it! Big difference in handling characteristics. Well worth the money

10. Oct 26, 2009 at 2:16 AM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    I have Total Chaos ucas and over a 100mph alot and my truck is straight as an arrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top