Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting? (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/65131-have-you-developed-vibes-humm-buzz-since-lifting.html)

Negative1 12-14-2009 05:53 AM

Have you developed VIBES or Humm/Buzz Since Lifting?

Ok, So If any of you have developed a vibration or humm/buzz sound since installing your lift, I'm looking for your input on the poll.

This thread/poll is to gauge the % of affected trucks vs. the non affected trucks, post lifting....

More detailed info on the vibes and humm/buzz read the post below:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=220615

You will know that there are clearly some issues that manifest after installing any kind of lift on some trucks, just not sure how many are affected across the general population.

Looking for your input on this poll.
Thanks,

wiscdave 12-14-2009 06:32 AM

Got the vibe under 40mph that goes away after engaging 4*4, I'm betting that I have the front diff bearing prob now in my truck.

If that's the case, not sure WTF toyota was thinking.. making major long term probs for us little 3 inch lift guys.

Brunes 12-14-2009 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiscdave (Post 1213273)
Got the vibe under 40mph that goes away after engaging 4*4, I'm betting that I have the front diff bearing prob now in my truck.

If that's the case, not sure WTF toyota was thinking.. making major long term probs for us little 3 inch lift guys.

This is the stuff that makes me laugh. I don't know how Toyota did it...but it seems each truck is different. Cause you have a vibration that you think is at least somewhat related to the lift- and I haven't had any issues at all related to mine (cept for a little bit off rear end alignment when I bolted the AALs up) and there were no vibes ever.

sonjay 12-14-2009 09:44 AM

I had a vibe around 40mph. A 1 piece driveshaft fixed the problem, also it fixed the take off shudder that I had after installing OME springs. I do have a vibe in the front end I need to look further into, I'm thinking its either a front wheel bearing or just my tires.

Anathollo 12-14-2009 09:44 AM

I had vibes since I drove the truck off of the lot brand new. They weren't that bad and would only shake between 0-10mph. I just got used to it. After I lifted my truck, I had vibes between 60-65mph, but my new UCA's cured that problem. I then installed the carrier bearing drop and my 0-10mph vibes are gone.

08pretaco 12-14-2009 10:25 AM

:popcorn: I wanna know some fixes to people specific problems

wiscdave 12-14-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonjay (Post 1213791)
I had a vibe around 40mph. A 1 piece driveshaft fixed the problem, also it fixed the take off shudder that I had after installing OME springs. I do have a vibe in the front end I need to look further into, I'm thinking its either a front wheel bearing or just my tires.

That sounds like the diff bearing issue I have.

SamSter0077 12-14-2009 10:40 AM

I was going to start a Vibe story post like this one, but after seeing this. It's perfect for it.. here goes.

I have an 09 4x4 TRD with stock wheels. I installed OME 886 coils with spacers to start - Truck drove pretty well but the steering wheel was jumpy and I could feel every crack in the road.. at high speed there was some minor vibes.. but it was expected.

ADDED TSB AAL - Back end went way up in the air.. HORRIBLE vibes.. the gas pedal vibrated so much it would make my foot kind of number on the long drives. it had a Shudder from stop to start at 5-10mph and really bad when coming to a complete stop. Worst felt when in bumper to bumper traffic.

CARRIER BEARING DROP - Seen here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...k-you-too.html got the idea this would fix some of my vibes.. IT DID! worked great for the majority of my Driveline vibes.. although my hands were going numb driving 60-65 be this time. high recommend this one!

LR UCA INSTALLED - Wow.. this helped a lot too, but still not perfect.. read about it here - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...alignment.html After I put them in, it was a round and round with the Alighnment place to get it perfect.. once it was.. worked great! but still had vibrations..

TIRE BALANCE - truck only has 7000 miles on it, so I never considered this but after reading more online.. I said what the heck. Read here: http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vibratio...duction:%C2%A0 went to two discount tires to get this done right.. again, HUGE difference when done right. but there was still some vibration.. very slight. but I am a perfectionist when it comes to what I feel in the steering wheel.

REMOVE FRONT 10MM OME SPACERS - I did this last weekend with yotarob2005 and it was the final piece of the puzzle. Apparently, i had more than 3" of lift in the front with the 886 coils (STOCK 4WD FRONT END) and the spacer.. took the 10mm spacer out and my CV boot angles were nicer to my liking and the Vibe just Disappeared.. I still have a little more than 3" in the front.. but I was closer to 4" with the spacer. FYI - I have done no Diff Drop because of what I read about it on here.. seemed to me more people noticed Clunking after doing it although certainly not all.

it was long winded, but hopfully it will help someone out there..

-Sam

09tacoLI 12-14-2009 04:37 PM

I have a 2009 with toytec 3in ult lift. When the lift was installed we did not use the shims. I had vibes from 0-20 and it sucked. I did the CB drop that helped but it was still not perfect. I went back to dave and he installed the shims and now I dont have ant vibes at all and I drive my truck over 100mph alot. Its rock solid from 0-100

Canadianboy 12-15-2009 09:28 AM

Icons set at 2.25" front and 1.5" Icon aal in the rear. Very slight vibration during takeoff, from about 5-10 miles. Waiting on the Carrier bearing drop bracket to see if it will fix the vibration.

08pretaco 12-15-2009 09:43 AM

^ the drop braket worked for me for that speed vibs now as to the rest of the vibs lol

magneticnick 12-15-2009 10:23 AM

^^^^My issues are the same as the two mentioned above. I have the fully adjustable 5100's (just like a coil over) and I have them set at about 2.25 with nothing in the rear end to lift.

I get a vibration off the line.

Do you guys thing a carrier bering drop kit would help? I was thinking either that or some small shims.

Who makes the C/B Drop kits and how much are they.

The Parts Whore 12-15-2009 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wiscdave (Post 1213273)

Wait wait...Toyota didn't design and build the truck to have a 3" lift, you modified your truck and blame it on them when a problem pop up? :p

SamSter0077 12-15-2009 12:04 PM

Haven't trued the shims, but the CB drop took care of most of the vibes from Stop. There is still a very slight shudder that I am think the Shims might take care of.. will look into it and report.

Canadianboy 12-15-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magneticnick (Post 1217737)
^^^^My issues are the same as the two mentioned above. I have the fully adjustable 5100's (just like a coil over) and I have them set at about 2.25 with nothing in the rear end to lift.

I get a vibration off the line.

Do you guys thing a carrier bering drop kit would help? I was thinking either that or some small shims.

Who makes the C/B Drop kits and how much are they.

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Thats where I just bought mine. I'm sure you could make one pretty easily too.

08pretaco 12-15-2009 01:31 PM

Made my own, way to easy to waste 20 bucks on (after shipping)

tarandus 12-17-2009 12:56 PM

What is the difference b/w shims and CB drop? Anyone have photos of the shims ~ do they go in the same place? Trying to solve my 35-40 mph vibes after OME leveling kit...

SamSter0077 12-17-2009 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarandus (Post 1226339)
What is the difference b/w shims and CB drop? Anyone have photos of the shims ~ do they go in the same place? Trying to solve my 35-40 mph vibes after OME leveling kit...

where do you feel it? in the steering wheel, or your seat? What leveling kit? I must have missed that one.

SamSter0077 12-17-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffroadToy (Post 1226384)
I started with a leveling kit...3" spacer in front with differential drop, and 2" aal in back. I never had any vibrations, but decided to remove the front spacer due to the cv boot ribs riding and deciding I like the look of the front being a bit lower. I replaced the 3" spacer with one around 1 1/2"...still no vibes! I don't know if it makes any difference, but I have the weight of my Snug Top canopy on the back.

a little weight in back does make a difference. Originally when I had vibes, I drove around with a bag of mulch in the back.. it sounds silly, but it was enough weight to improve the angle of the drive shaft. After I did the CB drop, it seemed to not need the mulch bag.

08pretaco 12-17-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamSter0077 (Post 1227731)
where do you feel it? in the steering wheel, or your seat? What leveling kit? I must have missed that one.

i feel alot of vib in my seat