1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weird thought.....

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Lentsnh, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Feb 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    I have a Fabtech AAL in my leaf pack now. I have TRD Billy's that do ZERO bit of good anymore. They have no uptravel and very little downtravel.

What if I took out the rear shocks all together? Would I have stability issues? Ride issues? Extra strain on the other components?

2. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    I have no idea what would happen. Kinda curious though. Seems like it would be kinda droopy and you would have a lot of body lean through corners.

3. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I've been curious about this for a while. I would think it would be the same thing as taking your sway bar off..... a little more body roll in the turns

4. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    thekidcatcher

thekidcatcher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    I've taken mine off. You can tell the difference but I still feel perfectly safe without it; never had an OH SHIT moment.

5. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Put some shocks in there that aren't gas charged and don't spring out when you push them in. The ride will be better and they'll control the rebound better than having nothing. Like some Rancho's or Pro Comps, but non gas charged, they should resist when pushed in and also when being pulled out.

6. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:40 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thats what I needed to hear. I mean my do nothing but just be there for show.. They are always extended out and never cushion over speed bumps or just bumps in general.

And I dont haul that much stuff. Its mostly just a few bags of pine bark during the Summer.

To be honest, these shocks are such crap and been though alot, I dont even think they will push in and pull out like they should.

This might be temporary until I get some funds for 5125s

7. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:42 PM
    thekidcatcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Legs- --Helo rims --KM3 285/75/R16 --Bilstein 5100 in front with OME 886 --Dakar with extra leaf --Total Chaos UCA's --5165's Bilstein in the rear Electronics- --Warn M8000 w/ Warn wirless remote --Cobra 29LTD CB, --12in sub with alpine amp , --Dual Battery, --Warn Air compressor --URD MAF sensor, --touchscreen cd player hooked up to front and rear cameras Armor- --All-Pro offroad front/rear/rocksliders --AP skid plate, diff armor Cajones- --JBA headers, midpipe, exhaust --Safari Snorkel --4.56s ECGS Misc- highlift jack --UWS toolbox --u bolt flip kit --Tepui Kukenam Custom- --in dash inverter --on-board shower system --dvd anytime mod --custom bed rack and tiregate.
    In response to you quoting me are you talkin about shocks or the sway bar?

8. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    you lifted your rear without adding longer shocks or a stock shock extender? that right there is your problem.

9. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    the shocks. The sway bar was an example of my hypothesis. (I think I worded that right)

I ran out of funds.....:eek:

10. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Can't be worse than the feeling like a 5000 lbs block of concrete is bouncing in the bed when you go over a speed bump.. haha

I plan to soon...

11. Feb 15, 2010 at 9:53 PM
    thekidcatcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD offroad SR5
    Don't take the shocks out lol. I was referring to the swaybar.

12. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Oh alright. You had me going there! :eek:

13. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    ShadowFalken

ShadowFalken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    10 Off Road
    Raptor stainless bars, Wet Okole covers, RollBak bed cover, PopNLock, Redline hood struts, XM radio factory kit
    Bad shocks or no shocks will also increase stopping distance. The tires will be more likely to break contact with the road surface.

14. Feb 15, 2010 at 10:53 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    buy a set of 2" shock extenders from vatzone and call it a day....until u can get better rear shock that is

15. Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00 PM
    NewMexiTaco

NewMexiTaco Abron Cabron

Member:
    First Name:
    Abraham
    Santa Fe, NM
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 DC LB TRD Sport
    Weathertech mats; Wet Okole seat covers; Kobalt Lowpro truck box,(sitting in the shed) Snugtop Hi-liner camper shell; AFE Pro Dry air filter, Tailgate Hoseclamp mod; 5100s all around, Light Racing UCAs, OME 885 coils, OME Dakar Leafs, CB Drop, Driveline spacer. Epoxy Satoshi; Redline Hood Struts. 4x Mil Spec. bed D rings; Brute Force Fab custom DCLB Hybrid Sliders, ARB w/ Warn M8000 wench, Diff Breather mod, Alpine Deck w/ ipod cable. Iphone ziptie to rearview mirror 4wd-cam mod!
    On my 91 standard cab the rear shocks got snapped, by getting winched kind of sideways when I got it super f-n stuck on a spooky icy hill...(long story) So I drove it for a couple weeks til I got the funds to fix it, and It was way sketchy to have no shocks. it was like the rear end was on a pogo stick. really bouncy on speed bumps and rollers at highway speed. (NM pavement is not exactly smooth) the shocks resist upward/ downward energy as stated above as well as provide torsional stability (resist body roll?)

So, umm save up for 5100s ? ....like someone told me... they spent millions of of dollars on engineering these trucks... do you really want to go change something (I.E. like adding a spacer lift for looks) ....thats my .02
    BTW, I have been working on it myself... got 5100s and LR UCAs, which arent installed yet... still saving for dakar leafs, or maybe I shoulda just done the AAL too. $80 vs. $400...
    anyway good luck mang :D

16. Feb 16, 2010 at 5:34 AM
    PreRunner

PreRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    cool. maybe you can take the tires off too and go for a spin around the neighborhood. report back with findings. god speed.

17. Feb 16, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the nice post. Now go away jerk...

18. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:01 PM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Leave your shocks on. They are still working regardless of travel. The toyota engineers are smart guys, and they designed tacoma's to have rear shocks for a reason.
    Also, what if you got into a wreck and an insurance adjustor came out to look at your damaged truck? Those guys try to find ANY reason to deny you money and not having your rear shocks on will definitely be a way for them to deny you your claim.

19. Feb 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    Lentsnh

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I wasn't saying I was going to do that. It was just athought on IF I would be able to.

Products Discussed in

To Top