Tacoma World Forums

Tacoma World Forums (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/)
-   Suspension (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/)
-   -   LiftLaws.com- The Definitive Guide (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/91703-liftlaws-com-definitive-guide.html)

oofy15354 05-09-2010 12:24 PM

LiftLaws.com- The Definitive Guide

Lift Laws

This website has the laws, not just for lift, but for just about any modification you can think of (steering, frame, engine swaps, the works).
It offers to donate money to charity for being proven wrong with legislature or tickets which keep sit up to date. They also do special reports on the legality of things such as beadlock wheels (not illegal, except in Tennessee)

Just wanted to share this site with everyone. Has sticky potential :D

Brunes 05-09-2010 12:26 PM

I think someone posted a site like this for tint...And found several errors immediately. So double check your sources before using!!

PS- Stuck it for review.

oofy15354 05-09-2010 07:40 PM

sounds good Mark. just found it and thought itd be useful. hopefully it checks out

tigerfan00 05-09-2010 07:54 PM

south carolina is hazy if not incorrect

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".

i realize the site is for trucks...but...there is law concerning lift amounts

also it says its unclear as to if windshields are required but the law specifically says the vehicle cannot be registered without proper safety glass in places glass is normally supposed to be (i.e the windshield)

Filthy Motorsport 06-30-2010 07:41 PM

Hi Guys,

I run LiftLaws.com and someone emailed me a link to this thread.

Tigerfan00, you make a good point about the lift laws for passenger vehicles. The site is geared towards trucks but I think that information is worth having on the site so I added it to the South Carolina lift laws page.

As for the safety glass, that section of the code simply states that any glass found on a vehicle must be safety glass (e.g. it won't shatter). No section of the code that I could find actually states that a windshield is required (or not required).

Thanks!!
Ben
Filthy Motorsports

tigerfan00 06-30-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filthy Motorsport (Post 1923124)
Hi Guys,

I run LiftLaws.com and someone emailed me a link to this thread.

Tigerfan00, you make a good point about the lift laws for passenger vehicles. The site is geared towards trucks but I think that information is worth having on the site so I added it to the South Carolina lift laws page.

As for the safety glass, that section of the code simply states that any glass found on a vehicle must be safety glass (e.g. it won't shatter). No section of the code that I could find actually states that a windshield is required (or not required).

Thanks!!
Ben
Filthy Motorsports

I'm no lawyer...but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

S
Quote:

ECTION 56-5-5010. Safety glass in motor vehicles.

No person shall sell any new motor vehicle nor shall any new motor vehicle be registered unless such vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in doors, windows, and windshields. The foregoing provisions shall apply to all passenger-type motor vehicles, including passenger buses and school buses. But in respect to trucks, including truck tractors, the requirements as to safety glass shall apply to all glass used in doors, windows, and windshields in the drivers' compartments of such vehicles.

The Department of Motor Vehicles shall not register any motor vehicle which is subject to the provisions of this section unless it is equipped with an approved type of safety glass, and the department may thereafter suspend the registration of any motor vehicle so subject to this section which it finds is not so equipped until it is made to conform to the requirements of this section.

Essentially...where glass is supposed to be...such as a windshield...it has to be safety glass in there or you cannot register the vehicle...and if you cannot register the vehicle...then...well...you'll probably be seeing one of my coworkers in your rearview mirror

Now...for example...my truck is already registered...and we dont have inspections...so could someone take the glass out after the fact...sure

If nothing else, a LEO could easily articulate a violation of this chapter

Quote:

SECTION 56-5-5310. Condition of vehicle and vehicle equipment.

No person shall drive or move on any highway any vehicle unless the equipment thereon is in good working order and adjustment as required in this chapter and the vehicle is in such safe mechanical condition as not to endanger the driver or other occupant or any person upon the highway.
A lack of a windshield could easily endanger the driver or passenger

luk8272 06-30-2010 08:52 PM

But lexain or plexiglass would count, and I think that is what Filthy Motorsport is saying.

tigerfan00 06-30-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luk8272 (Post 1923334)
But lexain or plexiglass would count, and I think that is what Filthy Motorsport is saying.

i dont think so...his site specifically says "its unclear if windshields are required"

i really dont think its that unclear...be it plexiglass or safety glass...or what have you...you need SOMETHING in that spot where the windshield is

luk8272 06-30-2010 09:00 PM

I follow what your saying Tiger I was reading and mixing it up.
Wow in Texas you don't have to have a windshield but if you do it has to have wipers. Arkansas is the same. But doesn't allow NOS.

tigerfan00 06-30-2010 09:12 PM

windshield wipers are also required by SC

Quote:

SECTION 56-5-5000. Windows shall be unobstructed; windshield wipers. [SC ST SEC 56-5-5000]

No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings or side or rear windows of such vehicle which obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway. The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow or other moisture from the windshield, which shall be so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle. Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

V-TRAIN 06-30-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerfan00 (Post 1923299)
I'm no lawyer...but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

lol

NetMonkey 06-30-2010 09:23 PM

"In Colorado, it is illegal to drive a vehicle with the front or rear suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design. Heavy duty springs and shock absorbers are allowed to be installed"

that cant be right. you should see all the lifted trucks out here. if it were illegal and cops were giving fix-it tickets, lifted trucks wouldnt be so popular out here.

Filthy Motorsport 06-30-2010 09:55 PM

Actually, I've spoken with several lawyers ($$$ :eek:) about interpreting these codes before publishing LiftLaws.com

Tigerfan00,
The code states that where glass "is" used, it must be safety glass. As opposed to your statement of where glass is "supposed" to be there must be safety glass. The point of this law (every state has a safety glass law) is to avoid injury and lacerations due to broken glass.

I completely agree that not having a windshield could easily constitute a violation of 56-5-5310, however, as the code is written it cannot be definitively stated that a windshield is or is not required, that is why I left it as "unclear" on the site. Yes, I do show that windshield wipers are required.

NetMonkey,
That is in-fact the correct law for Colorado. I've spoken with several Colorado police officers about it and they have all told me that they have more important things to worry about than lift laws. For whatever that's worth...

I really appreciate the feedback (and criticism), keep it coming :)

Ben
Filthy Motorsports

1337Taco 06-30-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NetMonkey (Post 1923425)
"In Colorado, it is illegal to drive a vehicle with the front or rear suspension system altered or changed from the manufacturer's original design. Heavy duty springs and shock absorbers are allowed to be installed"

that cant be right. you should see all the lifted trucks out here. if it were illegal and cops were giving fix-it tickets, lifted trucks wouldnt be so popular out here.

It says it is legal?

NetMonkey 07-01-2010 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337Taco (Post 1923555)
It says it is legal?

no, it says that it is illegal.

takern 07-01-2010 06:35 AM

In virginia you can buy a "Truck tag" that basically voids the bumper height restriction. might be worth a asterisk or something

toyo freak 02-10-2011 08:25 PM

Don't even have to have a windshield in Alabama lol

bowhunter11199 04-23-2011 05:37 PM

ya im breaking a few rules in utah:D

toysrgood 06-18-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerfan00 (Post 1749107)
south carolina is hazy if not incorrect

SECTION 56-5-4445. Unlawful to elevate or lower motor vehicle; exception for "pickup trucks".

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a passenger motor vehicle on the highways of this State which has been elevated or lowered either in front or back more than six inches by a modification, alteration or change in the physical structure of the vehicle. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not less than twenty-five dollars nor more than fifty dollars. Provided, however, this shall not apply to motor vehicles commonly called "pickup trucks".

That law most likely was brought into effect because "donks" are popular down here. Guys put s10 lifts on their cars so they can jam the biggest rims possible under them. Saw one yesterday... walked past and bumped my shoulder on its rear bumper... and this was a car lol. Talk about rediculously big and rediculously unsafe.

jbrandt 01-03-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerfan00 (Post 1923381)
i dont think so...his site specifically says "its unclear if windshields are required"

i really dont think its that unclear...be it plexiglass or safety glass...or what have you...you need SOMETHING in that spot where the windshield is

I think this discussion is similar to in CA you are not required to have a speedometer, but you ARE required to know how fast you're going. At least, I believe that to be the case.