1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Enlightenment Please

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Mog, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Jun 24, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Mog

Mog [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD Sport 4x4 Silver
    I just purchased a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport (silver). Besides appearance reasons, I need (want) a lift for hunting. No serious offroading, just a little extra clearance for the bumpy roads.

I went down to SDHQ here in Gilbert, and they offer an ICON Stage 3 suspension system that I am convinced I need (want). The issue is this system costs $3,000 not to mention I need (want) rims and tires too.

Can anyone recommend a comparable "set-up" that will save me some money keeping in mind the following considerations:

-Not interested at all in a "stiff" ride, SDHQ told me this lift will considerably improve the ride on and off road.

-Do I need "extended travel coil-over shocks" like the ones this kit offers to improve ride quality?

-Does this kit really need $1200 UCAs?

Thanks

2. Jun 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    EEtaco

EEtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    If you're not doing serious off-roading then there is no need for a full setup like that. You could easily achieve what you want with 5100's/OME + an AAL setup. Check out toyteclifts.com as their options are probably the most widely used before getting to the realm of icon/king/fox coilovers. As far as UCA's go if you want 3inches or more of lift then they're advised. Total Chaos UCA's are probably the most popular and their only $600 if I remember correctly.

3. Jun 24, 2010 at 2:44 PM
    BradleyJ33

BradleyJ33 Geaux Tigers

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB S/C'd
    TRD Supercharger with URD 2.825" Pulley, Toytec Ultimate Lift, LR UCAs, BFG All Terrain 275/70R17s on Procomp 7089 17" wheels, BAMF rock sliders, Viper 5902 alarm/remote start with smartstart, Pioneer Avic-Z110BT dvd/navi head unit, 2 Pioneer 7" monitors in headrests, 2 Rockford Fosgate Shallow-mount 10" subs pushed by RF Punch 500.2 amp, RF 5.25 components (front doors) and 5.25 full range (back doors) pushed by RF Power 400.4 amp, sound deadened, Whistler pro remote radar detector, scangauge II, debadged, Sockmonkey decals, blacked headlights with FX-R projectors, DDM Tuning HID fogs, Grillcraft upper and lower MX grill with Hella 500ffs converted to HIDs behind, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump upgrade, Dynomax Super Turbo muffler, Bestop Supertop, Wet Okole seat covers, Weathertech floor liners, Pop & Lock tailgate handle, Lighted 4x4 switch mod, 2 110v AC outlets in cab mod, Always at 400W mod, Maplights on with dome light mod, homelink in headliner mod, foglight
    I'm running Toytec's Ultimate lift (coilovers in front, AAL in rear) with Light Racing UCAs and I love it. It gives me 3" of lift and a smooth ride. Plus Toytec's service is great and the folks there are great about answering questions. Can't go wrong with Toytec in my opinion. They have a forum here under vendors and give a discount to TacomaWorld members.

Edit: Forgot to add, I think the whole lift only set me back about $1400, with the UCAs. That gives you more $$$ for your wheels and tires...

4. Jun 24, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    1337Taco

1337Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 4X4 Manual
    What kind of uca's are that expensive? You can get either the tc or camburg for ~$600. Just go with 5100s front and rear with an AAL in the rear. Set the front to 2.5 and spend the extra money on some wheels and tires. Everything including wheels an tires should be $1800 or somewhere around there.

5. Jun 24, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    BigRedToy

BigRedToy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 Regular Cab SR5 4x4

Icon

6. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I agree with 1337Taco.

Another option is OME springs, shocks, and AAL. Then you could do Total Choas or Light Racing UCA's.

Would be way less than the $3000 (just over $1000 I would guess), and is still a very high quality lift. I think it's a better fit for you especially since you noted you are primarily doing this for hunting.

7. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    yosh2000

yosh2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra CM 5.7
    another vote for OME stuff all around! the dakar leafs also increase the loading capability of the bed, which i think would be important if your hunting (but from socal so dont really know!). you need arms for anything above 2.5" lift, but you can pick up some lightracing ones for like $450 i believe.

icon stuff and ext travel is more usefull for fast, desert stuff. adn there is absolutely no way you need their $1000 UCAs!!

check out the lift sticky, it will explain EVERYTHING you need to know. also, search and you will find the answer to any remaining questions!

Products Discussed in

To Top