Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Whistle from Power Brake Booster?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
"I Brake for Tailgaters"
prerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shedprerunnerSD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
prerunnerSD's Tacoma Gallery
Whistle from Power Brake Booster?

I hear a high pinched humming sound coming from under hood of car, started when I depressed the brake and now happens nearly all the time, goes away when I accelerate/ have gas peddle depressed. Brakes seem to be working fine otherwise. What should I do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5jBPvqtk_s
Old 08-31-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
How interesting. It sounds like air rushing. Sorta like a jet. Maybe there is a loose connection somewhere or a rip?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Simplified for the sake of explanation, the brake booster contains a rubber diaphragm. On one side is a vacuum, and on the other it's normal ambient pressure. When you press on the brakes, that vacuum helps pull the brake linkage so you don't have to step as hard on the pedal.

You may have a leak inside the brake booster. Small enough to not completely lose the vacuum, but big enough to make noise. Might just be time for a new booster.