Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

2011 Toyota Tacoma Windshield Noise

Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
4wheelin is on a distinguished road
4wheelin's Tacoma Gallery
2011 Toyota Tacoma Windshield Noise

Brand New Truck....This is a well known problem, lots of people on here complaining about the same problem.

Does anyone have the TSB for this? My dealer is playing dumb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEMNAm5ARM
Old 08-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
torx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to beholdtorx82 is a splendid one to behold
Name: Trav
torx82's Tacoma Gallery
My 2005 does that, thought the seal was just getting old!!! I had no idea it was a known issue... it drives me insane!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Fodder4U is on a distinguished road

Name: Mark
Fodder4U's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 but only 2k miles on it so far and no noise like that!! LOL if mine did that I would have it at the dealer immediately to fix it. That is horrible!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #4
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, I have a 2010 and if mine did that I would be at the dealer in a second! Take it back in until they fix it.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
say NO to BRO!
jedrovsky is on a distinguished road
jedrovsky's Tacoma Gallery
That would really annoy someone quick...it's like Peter from family guy farting
Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #6
sockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedsockmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
sockmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
mine was not that bad about a year ago, but dealer fixed the seal.

scotch tape till they will fix....that would drive me crazier
Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
If my new taco starts crying like that, I'm going to pull over and join it.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Vince Galipeau is on a distinguished road
Vince Galipeau's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2011 TRD and mine did the same noise. It is a known issue, my dealer fixed it a few weeks ago. There is a speacial tool that lifts the rubber seal around the windshield and they squeese more windshield caulk in there. That simple.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #9
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
I found out that mine did this late last night when I was on the highway. I had Toyota send a service tech to my house to fix it. Apparently there is no Toyota Service Bulletin about it at the dealer, but the tech that was sent was a third party and said that Toyota had sent them one. It's the rubber seal at the top of the windshield. Apparently it gets air under it because of the aerodynamics of the truck, and that causes it to vibrate and whistle. The tech said that it effects something like 1/6 tacomas (05-11) as well as some older corollas and camrys.

The fix is simple. He just shot a thin bead of silicon windshield calk or whatever it was under the thin rubber trim AT THE TOP of the windshield. He said that sometimes it can also effect the trim at the sides if it seems loose, but that is not common. Either way, I took it out About an hour and s half after he fixed it, and the noise is gone.

Hope this helps someone else that isn't in
Old 08-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
4wheelin is on a distinguished road
4wheelin's Tacoma Gallery
I took the truck back to the dealer, and brought the TSB (NV006-07) with me. They replaced the entire windshield, rubber seal, and etc.. The rubber seal looks different now, it looks like the one that we have on our corolla. The stock rubber seal catches the wind, and eventually gets ripped loose.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Apprentice Modder
josh256 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
josh256's Tacoma Gallery
Just dropped mine off

Shop foreman didn't even want to see the videos I had recorded, knew the problem straight away, claimed there is no TSB and that it's very common to 07+ models (but acknowledged it has occurred in older builds as well).

He actually had another '11 in the shop having it's windshield trim cut out as I pulled in and told service to write mine up as the same issue, haha.

You'd think that when they moved Tacoma production to Texas last fall they would have updated the windshield trim accordingly.

J
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Apprentice Modder

josh256's Tacoma Gallery
This image might as well serve as a TSB..

Snapped this outside my service center
Attached Thumbnails
2011 Toyota Tacoma Windshield Noise-screen-shot-2011-09-07-1.13.09-pm.jpg  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #13
06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold06RadiantRed is a splendid one to behold

Name: Ryan
06RadiantRed's Tacoma Gallery
It boggles my mind that Toyota can be so slow to react to things like this
Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #14
Señorita Member
bethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shedbethes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
bethes's Tacoma Gallery
Bumping this thread up. My 2011 is doing this. I've had 2 dealerships test drive it and of course it wouldn't do it during their test drives. Of course not! It primarily happens in a crosswind at highway speeds. The last time I took it in it squealed for my entire 2 hour drive home, and when I got 10 miles from the dealership the wind died down. Talk about irritating, listen to that for 2 hours then have the tech tell you he couldn't find the problem? Ha! I wanted to murder something.

Third dealership's the charm, right? I'm taking it in on the 19th. I put a lot of miles on it, I only have 3000 miles left on the 36K warranty and I'm pretty upset that no one will fix the damn thing.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
Apprentice Modder

josh256's Tacoma Gallery
I recorded it on my iPhone on 3 different occasions then burned a 3 chapter DVD for the shop foreman.. that said, they knew about the defect and didn't need to watch the video.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:06 AM   #16
Taqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaqoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennan
Taqoma's Tacoma Gallery
holy crap I had no idea this was a "known issue"

I just bought a 2011 back in december and I drove to arizona recently and had this exact noise occur during strong cross winds. it was soooo annoying. the dealer will fix this? it's under warranty?
Old 01-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #17
84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed84Hilux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
84Hilux's Tacoma Gallery
The TSB is the second one listed on this link:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...ice-bulletins/

My friend had it done on a 2010. Resealing windshield solved the problem.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
guinnesslad is on a distinguished road
guinnesslad's Tacoma Gallery
windshield noise

My 2011 makes the same noise as heard on the utube video. It started right off the lot, but I thought maybe it was a loose sticker vibrating in the wind that would blow off. I searched the internet trying to discover if this was known to this model ( Fall of 2011 ), but nothing.

First time I brought it in, the service manager rolled his eyes and made me take him out on the highway. As Murphy's Law would have it, it was the one time in 20 that it wouldn't make the noise. Noise continued at highway speeds maybe 95% of the time. Finally got around today to taking it to a different Toyota dealer and the guy told me right off the top that it was an issue that Toyota was familiar with. I'm not the least bit mechanical, but my understanding is it's some kind of seal leak between the windshield and the frame. Will be fixed under warranty.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #19
REDdawn6 is on a distinguished road

REDdawn6's Tacoma Gallery
2011 here I need to get mine fixed as well.