Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Road trip!

Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Road trip!

You don't see much more than my hood and shadow... and it isn't off road.... but it is FAST!

Canton Ohio to San Diego by way of Flagstaff / Grand Canyon
http://youtu.be/wjjNfGk8T0w?hd=1

San Diego to Canton Ohio
http://youtu.be/dNA5qFv1iuU?hd=1

Rainbow in OK City while driving east
http://youtu.be/IwaWjDS6-k4?hd=1

Driving tour of Grand Canyon park
http://youtu.be/Nwoopeqc6WI?hd=1

This is how the camera mounts in the cab. I ran the USB cord up the A-pillar. I did this mod and liked the GPS mount so much I had to make one for the camera.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #2
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
That was pretty cool. Looks like you went through albuquerque at 2:08 in the first vid.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
That was pretty cool. Looks like you went through albuquerque at 2:08 in the first vid.
Thanks. Certainly went through Albuquerque so I think that might be the McD's coffee stop that flashes. I pulled off in Newkirk but they wanted waaaay too much for gas. I was carrying a full 5 gal scepter can + super siphons so I pushed further down 40 for gas and then coffee.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
GTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shedGTABurnout is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GTABurnout's Tacoma Gallery
More info on the camera set up please?
Old 01-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Drift HD170 Stealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTABurnout View Post
More info on the camera set up please?
The camera is a HD170 Stealth from Drift Innovation. The newer model, Drift HD, is a little smaller and they improved the design of the rear (battery/port/memory) end.

I have a Nikon D300s & D90 + fast glass but they are just too heavy and fragile for some shots. I looked at all the POV cameras on the market and for my needs the Drift is the best of the bunch.

The built-in screen is a must. I know a few others have ad-on screens but the Drift screen being 90 degrees off from the lens center of view makes it easer to setup shots. The lens rotates for more mounting options. The new model has a replaceable lens. There is a standard tripod mount on the underside. Drift includes a Start/Stop remote that can be worn like a watch. I put it around the shifter when I use the camera in/on the truck. It can record 1080p at 30fps but I mostly record 720p at 60fps for smoother slow motion playback. The sequence mode for still images can be set to 2, 3, 5, 10 or 30 second intervals. The image quality of the stills doesn't compare to RAW off my DSLRs but they look great for 2592 x 1944 JPGs. The auto white balance does a great job. Easy to navigate the menu and easy to update the firmware. I use the extended battery for longer recording but the camera can be externally powered by mini USB for long time lapses. The USB power will also recharge the battery when the camera is off.

I usually keep a RAM camera mount Mini Plate with 1 inch ball screwed into the Drift. I used the RAM 1 inch Ball on .25 inch NPT Female Thread and the mod linked above for the A-pillar anchor. A RAM Aluminum Double 3 inch Standard Arm with Double Ball Joiner will let you set up just about any shot. I use the double 3" arms on the A-pillar but I have it pictured above with one 5.25" and one 3" arm. I also have several 1" ball mount points on the outside of the truck. The RAM hardware is solid and integrates well with my Manfrotto gear so I'm glad I went that route for truck mounts
Old 10-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
Broja OG and CEO
mipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shedmipawlus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Mike
Location: Behind the windshield, watching the world pass on the right.
mipawlus's Tacoma Gallery
this is really cool. i only have a go pro and a sony camera, but my 9k mile road trip would rival titanic! haha bad ass though!!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
FNG
Stribb is on a distinguished road
Army: Crew Chief UH-60
Stribb's Tacoma Gallery
Good vid
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #9

bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribb View Post
Good vid
Thanks! Blast from the past, this old thread.

I have two cross country Route 66 trips worth of shots to process and upload to youtube. I just haven't gotten around to finishing the work. The video is FAR more interesting because I am driving on 2 lane roads most of the time and you can see Route 66 attractions.