Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Death Valley Offroad tour in stock Tacoma (Video)

Old 02-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Capt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capt Pie's Tacoma Gallery
Death Valley Offroad tour in stock Tacoma (Video)

Hey hey,

First off, THANK YOU to those who helped on my last post about tire size. Set me up nice or my trip. Also, I know a lot of you have beautiful, totally decked out Tacomas that take a dump on mine that could handle this stuff with ease, but I'm very proud of my little stock truck I am by no means an off road guy, I just like to play around in the dirt now and then. I film and edit video

I am shooting a TV series about motorcycles, and this episode was on dual-sports. My friends setup a Death Valley Tour, and I had to follow them with my truck loaded down with camera gear to film them. Little did I know the terrain I would be chasing them down would be way worse than I saw on Google images.

To sum it up, I experienced:

Alabama hills, dirt, rocks, sand, silt, snow, hunter mountain, hidden valley, teakettle junction, racetrack, lippincott pass, saline valley, hot springs, nudity, high wind, gnocci, spectacular camping, steele pass, marble bath, dedeckera canyon, eureka / singing dunes, a few paved turns, cold slab, good friends, all in a Stock 4x4 Toyota Tacoma.

I REALLY REALLY want to beef up the suspension now so I could fly over the stuff I had to CRAWL over, but all in all no problems with the truck. I took a super super hard hit in the front end and now my driver side front wheel is pretty loose when driving and rattles a lot, but nothing major.

At 12 years old and 171,000 miles on her, I couldn't be more proud.

Anyone in the Sacramento area want to help me do some suspension upgrades? I have 6 more episodes to film and we could totally include your business for world wide exposure

Here are some pics and video. We shot the stills with a Canon 7d. Onboard footage was shot with the new GoPro HD Hero2 cameras.

So ya... this isn't going to cut it for Death Valley.. Time for some tire upgrade (Thank you Tacoma World for your help with the tires!)

Ok! Suspension checked, tires upgraded, oil change, air filter change, alignment.. lets roll

So after the first 20 miles and feeling like my truck is going to rattle itself into oblivion, we stop. I was asked, "what is your tire pressure at dude?"

me - "um, 45 each tire. Max PSI is 50.

them, "uhhhh...dude get that shit to 20!!"

me, "really? hmmm.. you sure?"

them, "hahah dude you are freaking retarded "

me, *lets air out*

making my way down a hill

Taking a break to shoot some time lapse footage

Having some fun

Shooting the bikes

Beautiful dunes!

Worst part was seeing my friends crash and having to film and not help. I explained ahead of time that unless it was a severe accident or they were unconscious we had to keep filming. We gave a code word for them to use, and if they used it, we would drop our gear and help.

at an Oasis or something

Posing!

Hooligan!

Can't believe I get paid to do this

and a shorty video. Again, I know a lot of you have no problem with terrain like this, but when you are carrying about $50k worth of equipment and there is a giant sign that says, "No tow service, 4x4 with high clearance only" you gotta take it slow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttZWjrXWCk
Old 02-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
ruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to beholdruslanus is a splendid one to behold

Marines:
Name: Rus
ruslanus's Tacoma Gallery
That's really nice. You are right, I can't believe you get paid to do that either!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I think someone needs to come to the Moab meet.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
nice pics/vid. did you get to explore that little cave @ 4:25?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
You lucky SOB! Great pictures and awesome job!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
qwertypepper will become famous soon enoughqwertypepper will become famous soon enough
Name: cam
qwertypepper's Tacoma Gallery
4 the riders dot com? awsome
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Hummingbird
Foihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoihdzas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Foihdzas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruslanus View Post
That's really nice. You are right, I can't believe you get paid to do that either!

x2

I'm jealous of your job!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Capt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapt Pie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
nice pics/vid. did you get to explore that little cave @ 4:25?
Thanks guys!

We thought about stopping and exploring it, but the riders were already so far ahead that we had to keep going. 2 wheels can make it through there a lot quicker, and I didn't want to keep them waiting any longer than they had to. Looking back, I wish we did check it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #10
Mr. Boombastic
TacoIII will become famous soon enoughTacoIII will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Security forces
Name: Andrew
TacoIII's Tacoma Gallery
super lucky! I want to wheel death valley sooo bad. Maybe i can get stationed out there next
Old 02-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
Rez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shedRez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Rez's Tacoma Gallery
awesome pictures,
what was the code word you guys had for emergency time?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM   #12
gacandido2010 is on a distinguished road

Name: Gabriel
gacandido2010's Tacoma Gallery
hey man how are you liking those at2s? thinking about getting those but heard they dont do to good in the dunes
Old 02-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacandido2010 View Post
hey man how are you liking those at2s? thinking about getting those but heard they dont do to good in the dunes
The code word wasn't anything special. Just "Kevin's!" me and my intern have the same name, so if they broke the barrier and called our name we would help.

As for the tires I LOVE them. I went through every terrain and didn't have a problem, including deep sand. I even stopped in deep sand and was able to drive right out with no issues. The bikes were getting stuck and I was able to drive right through
Old 03-09-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Time to get dirty!
monoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to beholdmonoman is a splendid one to behold

Name: Dave
monoman's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, great pics & vids, thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing when you air down, the ride feels like your in a limo?? I remember the first time I went out there to Death Valley. The roads were so washboarded that I thought my back teeth were gonna get loose! Aired down & hit speeds of about 40 & wow, what a difference!

.......From the video, looks like Lippincott Rd maybe? Great little road up to "The Racetrack".
Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by monoman View Post
Wow, great pics & vids, thanks for sharing! Isn't it amazing when you air down, the ride feels like your in a limo?? I remember the first time I went out there to Death Valley. The roads were so washboarded that I thought my back teeth were gonna get loose! Aired down & hit speeds of about 40 & wow, what a difference!

.......From the video, looks like Lippincott Rd maybe? Great little road up to "The Racetrack".

hahaha dude you are spot on! Lippincott Rd for sure, and we did head to the Racetrack. Ya, once I air'ed down, I couldn't believe I didn't know something so simple. Live n' learn!