Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Can I climb this with a stock TRD Prerunner?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #81
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
LaRue Shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyburn0789 View Post
well....i never seen the first mud hole. and from the looks of the video im asking the same question as a couple others...is it a serious question?
It was a serious question because I had no idea if it was anywhere near as steep as the Jeeps in the video made it seem. The gearing the guy was using was ridiculously low, so it appeared that he was really struggling. So that's why I wasn't sure if a 2wd truck would be able to make it without much difficulty.

Sorry, I was new to the whole offroading thing. At the time I posted the thread, I had only ever been in the desert washes, so it was an honest question.

But now I know what these dang things can do!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CRDRl_l3lZ4

And yes, that is a mattress in the back of the truck. Long story...
Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #82
GrandMasterChooch is on a distinguished road

GrandMasterChooch's Tacoma Gallery
Have a few cold ones and just give errr! You will have a dandy ole time.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #83
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing like throwin' back a frosty cold brewski while wheelin'....
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #84
subaru of america
rickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shedrickmeseke is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ricky
rickmeseke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Nothing like throwin' back a frosty cold brewski while wheelin'....
until your wheeling at 12am and decide to attempt a nasty hill that not even a 4wd could do and mess up your front bumper then hit a tree later that day
Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #85
LaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedLaRue Shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I've learned a couple of important things in my first year of off road driving: 4wd is a little overrated and Jeep drivers are pussies

Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #86
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRue Shooter View Post
I've learned a couple of important things in my first year of off road driving: 4wd is a little overrated and Jeep drivers are pussies

i thought that too when i had a 2wd xterra. trust me 4x4 is not overrated. 2wd with good ground clearance can go a lot of places, but 4x4 can go more places, and remove a ton of drama like having to get going fast to get up steep slippery surfaces and tricky situations. i dunno about the jeep guys.. there is at least one or two around here that probly kknow what they are about...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #88
I've had 4wd envy on occasion, but for the kind of driving I do it is not necessary.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #89
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't watch the whole thing (I was going to sleep) but from what I saw there was only 1 or 2 spots where 4wd "might, i say might" be needed for just a sec. , not even sure about that, pre runner friendly i'd say, but it matters not & BTW it isn't 4 wheel drive thats overrated it's the tool behind the wheel usually....
Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #91
SuazoYota is on a distinguished road

Name: Spencer
SuazoYota's Tacoma Gallery

freakin awwesome wheelin vid!! I know exactly what you mean!! Keep the offroad videos comin!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Oh yeah, did you ever get off your lazy ass & try it ?...
It took me a while to find the trail, but I eventually happened upon it by accident and thought, "This sure does look familiar..." followed by "It's nowhere near as steep as it looks in the vid."
But yeah, 4wd would have made the two obstacles easier, but they weren't that difficult.

I've spent a lot of time out there since late November and really have learned a lot - even how to unstick my truck with the stock jack

In case there are any of you who haven't been able to tell, the 4wd and Jeep remarks were tounge in cheek. But I am pretty amazed at what the Prerunner can do, although I've reached what seems to be its limit a couple of times.
I love this stuff, though. What a blast.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuazoYota View Post

freakin awwesome wheelin vid!! I know exactly what you mean!! Keep the offroad videos comin!
Will do! One last trip for the season this coming weekend. I have a few others from last week, but they don't look as impressive as in person. All ofmthe really good stuff wasn't saved for whatever reason
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #94
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It took me a while to find the trail, but I eventually happened upon it by accident and thought, "This sure does look familiar..." followed by "It's nowhere near as steep as it looks in the vid."
But yeah, 4wd would have made the two obstacles easier, but they weren't that difficult.

I've spent a lot of time out there since late November and really have learned a lot - even how to unstick my truck with the stock jack

In case there are any of you who haven't been able to tell, the 4wd and Jeep remarks were tounge in cheek. But I am pretty amazed at what the Prerunner can do, although I've reached what seems to be its limit a couple of times.
I love this stuff, though. What a blast.

Good to hear & yeah I've been pretty impressed in the past with the pre runners capability....
Old 04-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #95
OK, here it is. Finally found the trail about a month ago and remembered to take video of the section that is in the OP when I was on it again this past Friday. It turns out I can, in fact, climb this with a stock TRD Prerunner

Please disregard my friend's whispering and grunting. It was his first experience on a non-paved road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCW90h50lc

Done with a full load of camping gear, guns, ammo, steel targets, extra fuel and water.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #96
Independant Thinker
Lumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shedLumpskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lumpskie's Tacoma Gallery
^Looks like you had a great time. Good job on researching what you were getting into and them going out an doing it!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #97
Mr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Salty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hermmy
Mr Salty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OK, here it is. Finally found the trail about a month ago and remembered to take video of the section that is in the OP when I was on it again this past Friday. It turns out I can, in fact, climb this with a stock TRD Prerunner

Please disregard my friend's whispering and grunting. It was his first experience on a non-paved road.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzCW90h50lc

Done with a full load of camping gear, guns, ammo, steel targets, extra fuel and water.
After popping popcorn, grabbing the fuzzy white poodle and snuggling up on the couch to watch this epic adventure using the smart TV, I must say I'm a little confused on the challenge.

Side note: Your friend likely has asthma and would benefit from the use of an inhaler.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Salty View Post
After popping popcorn, grabbing the fuzzy white poodle and snuggling up on the couch to watch this epic adventure using the smart TV, I must say I'm a little confused on the challenge.

Side note: Your friend likely has asthma and would benefit from the use of an inhaler.
It was never really a challenge by the time I finally found the trail. I had already long since learned what the truck could do. It had alrwady been stuck, unstuck, and climbed much more difficult trails.

As for my friend, he's just a big fat guy and had never been "offroad" before that trail. Literally his first experience. So he doesn't know to stay relaxed and not tense up when drjving over stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpskie View Post
^Looks like you had a great time. Good job on researching what you were getting into and them going out an doing it!
Thanks, man. Yeah, I was a little apprehensive with it at first, but since starting this thread, that truck has been through hell and has not let me down yet.