Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

Feeling Adventurous?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #1
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
The Traveler's Tacoma Gallery
Feeling Adventurous?

So I was bored yesterday and decided to take the GoPro out with Fiona up into the Santa Ana Mountains behind my house. My buddy Michael (AMG4Life) met me at the trailhead with his 2012 DCSB 4x4 TRD OR in Silverado Canyon so we could head up to the mountains. We aired down, and headed up to the dirt. We ended up turning onto a trail that neither of us had ever taken, but we both had cell reception and GPS's were both working.

Ended up being an over 30 mile run, over 5 hours on dirt with not a single person in sight. My GoPro died within the first 20 min of the run, but the rest of it would have been dark anyway. We kept seeing "ROAD CLOSED AHEAD" signs along the trail, but saw a single Jeep coming the other way so we paid no heed...mistake #1.

After getting to the bottom of the other side of the mountain range in Corona, CA, there was a closed gate standing between us and the paved suburb road leading us to I-15 My heart dropped, turning around meant another 5 hours back to the other side. This was no chain-linked fence....No...this was a 10in tubular steel gate that was at least 20 feet across and 4 feet high with cross bars. No way around it without full lockers and full armor with the risk of body damage. As I'm dialing the Sheriff's station, Michael busts open the gate somehow, and without question we hop in and get the hell off the dirt. I couldn't believe our luck.

Total elevation gain was over 5000ft.
Map of Trail Run --> http://goo.gl/maps/lDPRa

Overall, it was a crazy, adventurous, and sometimes scary night. But here's the video I got of it anyway. Enjoy (in 1080p)

http://youtu.be/WOGMp6F9y2Y
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
NetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedNetMonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NetMonkey's Tacoma Gallery
sweet. i remember that area well.... that is where i broke my knee in a mountain biking accident.

ya, i remember taking my truck out there years ago, getting to corona, and hoping the gate was open

i have also biked down that mountain after the sun went down. what was normally a 20 minute ride downhill turned into a 90 minute, whit knuckle ride in the pitch black. good times
Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #3
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
I really like trail rides. Looks like a ton of fun!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
TXPRO4X4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryan
TXPRO4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Is that the same trail we went on a few weeks ago, and droped us out where the 2 guys did not make it up the graded slopes? if so u had to open a gate? to get to yhe street?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
REBELTACO
The Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Traveler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bryan, this was a totally different route. Last time we went to the summit and dropped down onto Indian Truck Trail that led us into the southern end of Corona. This time, we headed North on Main Divide and kept going until we were forced to take Skyline Rd down to the North end of Corona.

And I was one of those guys who didn't make it up the slope
Old 08-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
let me know next time you go, I'll bring my minivan.

j/k
Old 08-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
let me know next time you go, I'll bring my minivan.

j/k
Hahaha
Old 08-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Ahh, coo thanks trav. Was thinking about going up there this weekend if its a little or any cooler. Still to hot to ride the yz.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #11

What time? Ill see if I can make it. Found out last night suppost to take the kid to a b-day party. :-(
Old 08-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXPRO4X4 View Post
What time? Ill see if I can make it. Found out last night suppost to take the kid to a b-day party. :-(
Noon - whenever. You can either turn back and head down the same trail or mob to Corona with us and take the highways back. Hopefully you can make it!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

So afte food at johns your going to roll from there? pretty sure ive eaten at johns. Lol. Work alot in orange. Or is that not going to be the same day?
Old 08-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #14

Lol pwhite has a chevy, whats he looking here for... Sell it get a taco!
Old 08-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #16

Ok see what I can do!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #17
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a fun subaru trail. Rally car style
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in corona. Sounds like you came out on skyline trail. It used to be open all the time. It's been a long time but there used to be a trail around the gate about 1/4 back.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #20
REBELTACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
I grew up in corona. Sounds like you came out on skyline trail. It used to be open all the time. It's been a long time but there used to be a trail around the gate about 1/4 back.
Yup this was Skyline. The trail around it is non existant. The banks that come up are at least 4 feet tall and steep. You can rent a key from the city for $100 a year I believe, and it'll open the Skyline gate only.