Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

2JZ 2nd gen tacoma 4x4!

Old 05-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #41
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
No, I'm sure it would be great fun on a rainy day with nothing to do....
even a simple few mods with f/i makes driving much more fun, wet/dry/dirt/street. Specially for those guys that have large tires and lots of armor. Sure, ur not gunna corner like a g35, 350z or supra, but u can def get up to speed as well or better... Makes life easier when u really need to get past a rig on the highway because theres 2 lanes, the rig is in the slow lane, ur in the left lane and were just gunna cruise to pass him so now ur next to the trailer, and some jackass is merging in front of the 80,000lb rig/trailer (just a guess on weight).... either u get wedged, the trucker is stuck, the merging car is on the shoulder, or u get past all that, the rig can move over safely, and the jackass merging can get over.

Everyone is safe in that situation........been there on a long drive to visalia this week.
Also nice to get past swaying trucks in very high wind.

All within safe/legal speeds of course........I am not condoning speeding in any way.

ever drive an old volkswagen beetle and try to merge on the freeway with a 52hp engine, in the modern 70+mph freeway limits?

I did, it was my first car and dangerous............ throw a bunch of armor and big meats on a truck and its gunna affect the ability to move outta its own way (not quite as drastic mind you, but u get the point).

as for rain..........im honestly a lil worried about that now and I guess shouldnt comment yet
Old 05-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torspd View Post
What I would like to see is a built 2RZ or 3RZ in a 2nd gen Tacoma.Turbo'd with a 'W' Series trans. I like to call those the Baby 2JZ.

Either is a chained up monster waiting to be unleashed!
ur a bad influence on the wallet..........
Old 05-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #45

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Strippers are. At least with this stuff, you have something to show for all the money spent.
except tire tread
Old 05-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #46
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where have you been??????

I have had a built 1GR since '09. More recently things have really stepped up from vendors, and not to sound conceited even though I know it will, in at lot of ways due to what I have helped with since '09. From sending Pauter one of my rods so that I could have them made, to a block of mine being shipped from my house to Darton so that Darton Wet M.I.D. sleeves could be made as well. That first run was funded by Gadget at URD. Also more recently I sent a rod to Paul at Dezod, so that he could get a budget builder set of rods, Molnar, available to the public.
A UAE performance shop had Brian Crower make stroker cranks for the 1GR, and until recently had sole rights to selling them. I am likely the first person in the US to have a BC 4.3 stroker kit,(Dustin would know for certain) but those are now available to the US market as well. Clifford would be another who has since purchased one.

Engine parts from Dezod

http://www.dezod.com/cat_engine4_all.cfm

www.LCEperformance.com has plenty as well.

Darton sleeved block:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...n-sleeves.html

PowerFab Automotive turbo kit:

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/...ad.php?t=53171

Work with them regularly. ^^^

First ProEFI Pro128 on a '05+ Tacoma. Toon714 is the second.

www.proefi.com

Let me keep a little humility though. All of this stuff that I have aided in isn't just for me or bragging right. It is to properly build a strong and reliable HP engine as well as helping the aftermarket move forward so that all of this stuff can become more readily available and cheaper for everyone. It helps us all.

Trust me, it has already been proven that with rods, pistons, head gaskets, and head studs, a 1GR can easily be in the mid 600's. That was on a twin turbonetics XR by PSI Racing, using a Haltech, at ~28 psi. Journal bearing. All the extra stuff is just for fun or over built strength.

I need to do that. Lol. Seriously though.
That's awesome. I love seeing turbo/built 5vz and 1gr engines
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #47
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
even a simple few mods with f/i makes driving much more fun, wet/dry/dirt/street. Specially for those guys that have large tires and lots of armor. Sure, ur not gunna corner like a g35, 350z or supra, but u can def get up to speed as well or better... Makes life easier when u really need to get past a rig on the highway because theres 2 lanes, the rig is in the slow lane, ur in the left lane and were just gunna cruise to pass him so now ur next to the trailer, and some jackass is merging in front of the 80,000lb rig/trailer (just a guess on weight).... either u get wedged, the trucker is stuck, the merging car is on the shoulder, or u get past all that, the rig can move over safely, and the jackass merging can get over.

Everyone is safe in that situation........been there on a long drive to visalia this week.
Also nice to get past swaying trucks in very high wind.

All within safe/legal speeds of course........I am not condoning speeding in any way.

ever drive an old volkswagen beetle and try to merge on the freeway with a 52hp engine, in the modern 70+mph freeway limits?

I did, it was my first car and dangerous............ throw a bunch of armor and big meats on a truck and its gunna affect the ability to move outta its own way (not quite as drastic mind you, but u get the point).

as for rain..........im honestly a lil worried about that now and I guess shouldnt comment yet
100% agree with you. I actually feel like that in my truck often, and it's pretty much stock, which is sad. I was talking about reading all 50 pages of that thread on a rainy day with nothing to do. But luckily, Torspd showed up and summed it up for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #48

Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
100% agree with you. I actually feel like that in my truck often, and it's pretty much stock, which is sad. I was talking about reading all 50 pages of that thread on a rainy day with nothing to do. But luckily, Torspd showed up and summed it up for me.
Ahhhh, now I see
Old 07-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #49
ghoster244 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ghoster244's Tacoma Gallery
okay this is not my opinion just fact, the 2jz is a much better engine to build off of. That being said if you want a supra motor over a gs300 motor the build will get expensive and if you want the vvti which only came in the 98 in america its gonna get even more expensive. But the 2jz setup mimics the 2rz in design but has stronger performance parts. the 2rz and 2jz motors are the strongest 4cyl and 6cyl motors made by toyota. For the idiot that said i cant argue with displacement i bet you your a young punk that knows nothing about cars then what you read offline. The 4.0 has a bigger displacement but the internals are crap in comparison. Ive seen people but 2jz motors in old muscle cars, there is a reason for this. The only people that bag on 2jz motors are ones that don't have them or can't afford them. Some argue that they dont have enough torque and thats a lie. The 1gr has less hp and torque stock then the 2jz, plus the stock torque was configured for a car not a truck. changing the rearend gear and giving it more power to maximize the use of the gears will easily give a 2jz way more power then a 1gr. You can argue and point out cost all you want but the 2jz is better then the 1gr, thats a fact. some of you guys also mentioned that the 1gr is a less expensive way to go, if you have a 2nd gen tacoma that may be true but if your building a motor for any other vehicle the 2jz is not as expensive as the 1gr. Plus the 2jz can fit in smaller engine bays. other the firewall clearance for the turbos they will fit into a 1st gen tacoma.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #51
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What I would like to see is a built 2RZ or 3RZ in a 2nd gen Tacoma.Turbo'd with a 'W' Series trans. I like to call those the Baby 2JZ.

Either is a chained up monster waiting to be unleashed! That would be way more cool IMO.
First of all, as I read through the first 2 pages of this I was getting all antsy for you to chime in (having read all 50 pages of "bullshit" the other day) and am glad you did.

I'm starting the research for turboing my 2rz... I was trying to do it as cheaply as possible. But after reading how your first "cheap" rear mount went and seeing how much you've spent today doing it in stages, I think I'd be better off going all out the first time . Granted, I'm 1st gen and there's a lot more turbo'd 1st gen 2rzs around. Maybe I'll make a more dirt friendly version of Paradise Racing's celica (I'm sure you've seen that)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tor
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I have!

As a matter of fact, I was getting ansy as well. Lol. I am glad that my build has given you the insight into staying away from that mentality which you mentioned. I can speak for a lot, when I say that we have all thought that way at one point in time or another. It changes you when you have had to many issues because of that. A motto which can tie into that, is ,"We don't plan to fail. We fail to plan."

Quality parts, research, questions, and planned proper execution will get you far more return. And since there is actually a market for bolt on turbo headers, and I think there are even a couple kits available, you will already have an easier time moving forward. Sometimes, I wish I had a 2rz Tacoma. ....

If you have questions, I can help where I can, and will be happy to help out. Post them up in the performance section. It will be good for others to follow/chime in as well.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #53
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoster244 View Post
okay this is not my opinion just fact, the 2jz is a much better engine to build off of. That being said if you want a supra motor over a gs300 motor the build will get expensive and if you want the vvti which only came in the 98 in america its gonna get even more expensive. But the 2jz setup mimics the 2rz in design but has stronger performance parts. the 2rz and 2jz motors are the strongest 4cyl and 6cyl motors made by toyota. For the idiot that said i cant argue with displacement i bet you your a young punk that knows nothing about cars then what you read offline. The 4.0 has a bigger displacement but the internals are crap in comparison. Ive seen people but 2jz motors in old muscle cars, there is a reason for this. The only people that bag on 2jz motors are ones that don't have them or can't afford them. Some argue that they dont have enough torque and thats a lie. The 1gr has less hp and torque stock then the 2jz, plus the stock torque was configured for a car not a truck. changing the rearend gear and giving it more power to maximize the use of the gears will easily give a 2jz way more power then a 1gr. You can argue and point out cost all you want but the 2jz is better then the 1gr, thats a fact. some of you guys also mentioned that the 1gr is a less expensive way to go, if you have a 2nd gen tacoma that may be true but if your building a motor for any other vehicle the 2jz is not as expensive as the 1gr. Plus the 2jz can fit in smaller engine bays. other the firewall clearance for the turbos they will fit into a 1st gen tacoma.

That would be me.

What I was saying about greater displacement is you will get higher torque per RPM on a comparable budget.

Which is better? Itís anyone's opinion, but like I said, you canít argue against displacement. Again, this built 4.0 http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/203482-torspd-nevr.html has more torque than the 2JZ in the OP makes HP. And Im pretty sure it was cheaper and easier to build.

Whatever floats your boat is up to you, I just think itís silly to use a 2JZ engine for an off-road truck. Great for the 1/4mile, sure.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #54
Tor-nication
Torspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shedTorspd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to add some different points to this discussion between the 2JZ and 1GR.

There was the infamous 'Supra Truck'. I cannot remember the size of turbo that was on it, but I do remember that with its tune ~16 psi, it made more HP than mine at 1 BAR. However, it made slightly less wtq. Both if its curves though were slower to come on than mine.

I might be able to find the graph of it, the most recent one I am aware of. Then I can compare the two here.

Now, on the flip side, when I first purchased rods, pistons, and head studs, they were MUCH more expensive than they are now. There was not really a market for the parts. I had to send a rod to Pauter for them to be made. The rods were $1800. Pistons were $1200 for non coated JE.

Now you can buy a set of Brian Crower Rods Aged 625+ for ~$900+. Rated for 300hp a hole. And coated CP pistons for $1100.

That original build of my 1GR with just rods, pistons, is still by nature of engine weaker than a similarly built 2JZ. Mainly due to block construction. 2JZ is iron block and closed deck. Very very strong. 1GR is all aluminum and open deck. Increased rpm ad boost can contribute to cylinder wobble. As well, the oil pump in the 1GR isn't capable of the equivalent high RPMs that the 2JZ is.

The highest known whp 1GR was in an Xrunner, and built by PSI Racing, Florida. It made ~630whp and I cannot remember the wtq. Rods, pistons, Cometic head gaskets, and head studs, valve springs/retainers. So good power can be made on the 1GR with minimal parts. A quality tuning EMS and great tune will keep it together though.

Gadget and I worked together to get wet sleeves made by Darton, to make the block at stronger. That is a $2400 total job. Includes installation. At the time that I finally ordered my set of sleeves, there had been 5 sets that had been sold, including mine. There is another one currently.

Will the 1st & 2nd gen 1GR's ever attain the status of the 2JZ? No. Just like the 2rz. It is a truck engine, and isn't thought "performance" engine. Without plenty of people being interested in adding performance parts to their 1GR, it will maintain the status quo, despite its ability to make good power very easily.

8 psi from a safely tuned turbo setup will net you ~400 whp and -450wtq. N/A bolt-ons can get you fom ~ 200 whp & ~245wtq to ~250 whp and ~300wtq.

At the end of the day though, it is a person's desire to do something that personalizes their vehicle to their taste. Build off of those that have forged the way, or forge your own way. Either way is something new to you.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #55
Resident SUV racer
Lucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedLucario Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Lucario Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I would like to add some different points to this discussion between the 2JZ and 1GR.

There was the infamous 'Supra Truck'. I cannot remember the size of turbo that was on it, but I do remember that with its tune ~16 psi, it made more HP than mine at 1 BAR. However, it made slightly less wtq. Both if its curves though were slower to come on than mine.

I might be able to find the graph of it, the most recent one I am aware of. Then I can compare the two here.

Now, on the flip side, when I first purchased rods, pistons, and head studs, they were MUCH more expensive than they are now. There was not really a market for the parts. I had to send a rod to Pauter for them to be made. The rods were $1800. Pistons were $1200 for non coated JE.

Now you can buy a set of Brian Crower Rods Aged 625+ for ~$900+. Rated for 300hp a hole. And coated CP pistons for $1100.

That original build of my 1GR with just rods, pistons, is still by nature of engine weaker than a similarly built 2JZ. Mainly due to block construction. 2JZ is iron block and closed deck. Very very strong. 1GR is all aluminum and open deck. Increased rpm ad boost can contribute to cylinder wobble. As well, the oil pump in the 1GR isn't capable of the equivalent high RPMs that the 2JZ is.

The highest known whp 1GR was in an Xrunner, and built by PSI Racing, Florida. It made ~630whp and I cannot remember the wtq. Rods, pistons, Cometic head gaskets, and head studs, valve springs/retainers. So good power can be made on the 1GR with minimal parts. A quality tuning EMS and great tune will keep it together though.

Gadget and I worked together to get wet sleeves made by Darton, to make the block at stronger. That is a $2400 total job. Includes installation. At the time that I finally ordered my set of sleeves, there had been 5 sets that had been sold, including mine. There is another one currently.

Will the 1st & 2nd gen 1GR's ever attain the status of the 2JZ? No. Just like the 2rz. It is a truck engine, and isn't thought "performance" engine. Without plenty of people being interested in adding performance parts to their 1GR, it will maintain the status quo, despite its ability to make good power very easily.

8 psi from a safely tuned turbo setup will net you ~400 whp and -450wtq. N/A bolt-ons can get you fom ~ 200 whp & ~245wtq to ~250 whp and ~300wtq.

At the end of the day though, it is a person's desire to do something that personalizes their vehicle to their taste. Build off of those that have forged the way, or forge your own way. Either way is something new to you.
Ever hear of a supra with a 1fz in it? Thats a truck engine btw.............
Old 07-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #56
Tor-nication
Torspd's Tacoma Gallery
WheelSick's 2JZ Srunner. . (Which was sold)

15.5psi - on E85

http://www.xr-underground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45428

Mine

Precision Turbo 6265 (*obsolete*) Journal Bearing [] Turbine - T4 inlet, .68 A/R, 3" V-Band outlet [] Compressor - 4" Ported inlet, .70 A/R, 2.5" outlet [] 3" down pipe, 3.5" catback [] 14.83 PSI

Things to note about his graph****

The torque and hp scales are not the same, so that is why the curves do not cross at 5250.

It is on a dyno dynamics dynamometer, and those read lower than a Dynojet dyno.

The tune is a tad on the lean side for my liking, but it is on E85 and has a higher octane rating.

Peak boost on his is 6300 rpms. Mine is 3500.

His revs to 7300ish and mine to 5900.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone who ever drove a 1000+hp 2JZ knows its a dog until the turbo wakes up around 4-5k rpms (if you are lucky).
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #59
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Be tons cheaper to build the 4.0. And you'll get more torque and a better low/mid range power band
but at the end of the day it will never have the wonderful sound of the I6 thats the most important part lol

that, or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiS2p4Wz1e8
Old 09-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #60
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
and if you want a toy motor with some torque, and you have a TRD size budget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJcfksuu-Z0