Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > Tacoma Videos

Notices

comparison between my 2.7 and my (sold) 4.0

Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
comparison between my 2.7 and my (sold) 4.0

Short video I made for anyone on the fence about which motor to get. I had an '09 six speed, sold it and bought the '07. The 4.0 has lots of torque everywhere so it could easily be driven an entire fuel tank without seeing 2500 rpm. With the 2.7, literally just about all the torque is above 3000 rpm but there's more up there than you'd think; it just needs to be revved up to get it.

Both trucks are access cab, 4x4, manual transmission, and have 245/75R16 tires.

http://youtu.be/4YJQvLS2Re0
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
One day at a time
Cerulean is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
Cerulean's Tacoma Gallery
would be better if you had them side by side, best as I can tell the 4L takes about 9 seconds 0-60 and the 2.7 is around 11 seconds

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video...authorName=FAV
Old 03-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ that's pretty cool. A good way to look at it.

I still wonder whether my 4.0 wasn't making the power it was supposed to or if this 2.7 is just hot to trot. It doesn't feel like I gave up a third of the power when driving around unless I'm lugging it.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
One day at a time
Cerulean is on a distinguished road

Name: Will
Cerulean's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroh View Post
It doesn't feel like I gave up a third of the power when driving around unless I'm lugging it.
going from 9 seconds to 11 seconds is like going from

to
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #5

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
That's more like going from 6 to 14. The difference between 9 and 11 seconds is like manual transmission Civic vs auto transmission Civic.

Both vids were done with clutch completely engaged at idle so it's not a true 0-60 anyways, but as they were done the same way both can be compared to each other.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
9 seconds?

shouldnt it be around 6-7?

even bone stock
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #7

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
A V6 six speed 4x4 should be somewhere in the mid to high 7 sec with the proper launch, and I'd guess my 2.7 five speed six lug in the mid to high 9's likewise. Like I said, these were not hard launches. Just a comparison. I never do hard launches on my vehicles anymore just for the fun of it. Breaking stuff is expensive.

Besides, it shows the 2.7 isn't a total turd like some people would like to make it out to be. If you're buying a truck for the bed, don't tow heavy trailers, don't wheel all the time, don't live in the mountains, and don't race at every stoplight, it's a perfectly acceptable motor in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
V6 is not as fast as people think . Especially when you add bigger tires and weight .
Old 03-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Wants to learn all about his Taco.
Taylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaylor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Taylor
Taylor's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I had a 96 2.4 2wd, and now I have an 03 3.4 4wd.

Both could do about the same top speed (but who gives a shit about that in a truck?!?)

Toyota 4 cylinders are peppy. I didn't have a tach in the 96 so I don't know what it ran out, but I know when you hit the pedal, it would go, but not after getting 10 times louder and not doing anything for a second.

I love being able to pull hills in overdrive with this V6, though!