My other hobby

Old 09-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
L_Jackson is on a distinguished road

Army: Avenger Crew Member - 1st Cav 98-01
L_Jackson's Tacoma Gallery
My other hobby

Hey guys....

This is my v-star bike.....

nothing to do with tacomas, but thought some of you may be interested.

got a new set of pipes for my bike, whatda guys think??? i like 'em myself. not as deep as a harley but also not as pricey
Old 09-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW. Does it sound like a scatter gun?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
jrallan26 is on a distinguished road

jrallan26's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool to see other members ride. I also have a motorcycle "hobby". I own 2 BMWs and 68 Truimph Bonneville.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallan26 View Post
Very cool to see other members ride. I also have a motorcycle "hobby". I own 2 BMWs and 68 Truimph Bonneville.
Ditto, I've got a 93 Honda Nighthawk 750. One of the last of the standard frame motorcycles, with more money tied up in custom paint than the bike is worth now. Here's a Pic.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #8

i hear ya, i probably have as much in chrome as i could get for my bike and it's an 05!

i noticed you had a Tonneau cover.... i might want one... not sure.... i love the way they look, but can they be taken off easy if you want to haul a something?? if you don't mind me askin, how much was it???? i know they are pricey....

thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:15 AM   #9
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_Jackson View Post
i hear ya, i probably have as much in chrome as i could get for my bike and it's an 05!

i noticed you had a Tonneau cover.... i might want one... not sure.... i love the way they look, but can they be taken off easy if you want to haul a something?? if you don't mind me askin, how much was it???? i know they are pricey....

thanks!
Some can be taken off quite easily, others are more of a pain in the ass. The Extang (brand) Fulltilt (model) that I have on my truck is one of the ones that is quite easy to take off. Release the latches that hold it down, open it to the full extension of the gas struts that hold it open, pop the socket of the gas strut off the ball on the bed, lift up past 45 degrees, and set it on the front lawn, and go haul. Honestly took longer to type that than it does to do it.

If you find yourself at Home Depot and the wife decides you are buying a new bathroom vanity when you only went there to get screws, it takes a little longer, like 3-4 minutes to roll it up, secure it and remove the bows.

Price, I gave the bisiness to my local truck center, so I think I paid $460. I believe you can them on-line for maybe $399 shipped.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:42 AM   #10
Zebra is on a distinguished road

Zebra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey guys....

This is my v-star bike.....

nothing to do with tacomas, but thought some of you may be interested.

got a new set of pipes for my bike, whatda guys think??? i like 'em myself. not as deep as a harley but also not as pricey
i've been playing with the idea of getting a v star 1300 for quite sometime. what model of star motorcycle do you have? any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
JKarp is on a distinguished road

JKarp's Tacoma Gallery
Yamaha FJR1300 is my primary vehicle. Taco will only see service in the Winter months or occasional 4WD trail run in the summer.

Second hobby is brewing beer!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 AM   #12

i don't know how much that v star 1300 is, and i don't know if you were getting classic or custom, but the new raider is awesome.... comes out in 2008, i think it's called a raider, maybe rapter.

mine is a 650, and it has get up and go, somewhat, or i i thoguht it did. sittin on it byself and taken off at a red light it feels fast. but other people will smoke me. it also is screamin at 70... it will run 90, but that little 650 is workin it's heart out at 70..... i would def. suggest a bigger bike, but sounds like you are covering that base.

one more thing to add.... my bike was cheap and i don't regret buying it, it was a started bike and a good bike to learn on. however, i wouldn't spend 12K+ on a bike that is not a harley. i gotta pay off this truck before i can add another monthly note that like, but i'd buy a used harley for 13K before i bought a new yamaha, honda, suzikui, etc....

just my $.02
Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
A motorcycle thread? Woohoo!

I rode a Harley for about a decade and went for a Rocket III when it came out. I've never looked back since. It's big enough for some serious touring and still quick enough to tear around town.

I broke it in with a non-highway ride from NJ to Oregon and back and have done some short runs since then. Most recently I rode from NJ down to Key West in October. The trip down was lazy, but I found myself in KW longer than expected because of FantasyFest ( Get There!!!), so the ride home was a bit hurried.

Made it from Key West back to Perth Amboy, NJ in 2 days.

I used to be brand-loyal. Now I look back and wonder what the heck was going through my head. It doesn't matter what people ride as long as they're out there for the experience.

Ride safe!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
JKarp, that picture of the stout is making me awfully thirsty!!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:54 AM   #15
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cvillechopper's Tacoma Gallery
I love rebuilding old Honda 4s. I've got a 73 CB500 with a 550 engine that got the frame-up treatment last summer and a 2007 Suzuki M50 Limited that is more of the daily rider.

I've also built a chopper out of a '78 CB750 and rebuilt a 74 CB350 after work late nights while in college. Classes suffered a bit on that one.

Here's the chopper I sold (to buy the M50).

A total rat bike and I loved it!
Attached Thumbnails
My other hobby-bikes-outside-small.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #16

mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillechopper View Post
Here's the chopper I sold (to buy the M50).

A total rat bike and I loved it!
LOL! I love the over/under rectangular headlights! Not sure if it's a bike or half a Chevy truck coming at you!
Old 01-21-2008, 09:19 AM   #17
Jackass to the masses
cvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shedcvillechopper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
LOL! I love the over/under rectangular headlights! Not sure if it's a bike or half a Chevy truck coming at you!
I made those pipes by hand out of an old Dodge exhaust and it sounded like a debaffled F250 when I laid on the throttle. Used to set off car alarms if I wasn't careful.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #18
Conservative
Motorkopf is on a distinguished road

Marines: 3002
Motorkopf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
however, i wouldn't spend 12K+ on a bike that is not a harley. ... but i'd buy a used harley for 13K before i bought a new yamaha, honda, suzikui, etc....
Wow. I have an 06 Star Roadliner which I paid over 12K for, and I wouldn't trade it for two Harleys. Faster, lower maintenance, and a gorgeous bike. That's kind of shallow man.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #19
Jackass to the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorkopf View Post
Wow. I have an 06 Star Roadliner which I paid over 12K for, and I wouldn't trade it for two Harleys. Faster, lower maintenance, and a gorgeous bike. That's kind of shallow man.
+1
It's funny how many people are on the Harley train and how many reasons there are for it. My personal favorite is the "American Bike" thing. More Harley parts are made overseas than alot of the "Import" bikes and almost all of the Hondas, Suzukis, maybe even Yammy's for sale in the US today are manufactured here as well.

Harley has come a long way toward catching up with the "Foreign" bike makers on the dependability side but they're so far behind on the performance aspect that I could never justify owning one. There's also the fact that the one time I rode a Harley, my arms went numb from all the vibrations. I like my bikes like my wiskey... Smooth.

To each his own.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #20
JKarp is on a distinguished road

JKarp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I rode a Harley for about a decade and went for a Rocket III when it came out. I've never looked back since. It's big enough for some serious touring and still quick enough to tear around town.
Sweet pic and sweet ride mjp2! Seriously jonesing for a Triumph 675 myself to quell those stupid go-fast urges I often have. Triumph has been oozing lots of 2-wheeled goodness lately...